Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 369992 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
There is a real life dead cow truck that comes around and picks up all the dead cows and does something with them. You just tell them where they are. We would sometimes have, like, some huge pile of them. Very gross.

update to this (and maybe already updated this but I just spoke to SD Dad and he mentioned the dead pile getting yuge): now we have TO PAY the dead cow truck to come get them to make them into dog food or whatever. it's a damn racket.
Question, if a big momma cow just up and dies in the middle of the pasture nowhere near anything does SD dad bring it to the dead cow pile or just let it rot where it is?

Because I'm pretty sure ben ji's uncles just leaves it where it died unless it's near the corral/homestead area.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Incredible modding SD
Yes, great modding. It takes an eagle eye to catch all the high farm IQ threads taking place all over this blog and consolidate them in one place.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
There is a real life dead cow truck that comes around and picks up all the dead cows and does something with them. You just tell them where they are. We would sometimes have, like, some huge pile of them. Very gross.

update to this (and maybe already updated this but I just spoke to SD Dad and he mentioned the dead pile getting yuge): now we have TO PAY the dead cow truck to come get them to make them into dog food or whatever. it's a damn racket.
Question, if a big momma cow just up and dies in the middle of the pasture nowhere near anything does SD dad bring it to the dead cow pile or just let it rot where it is?

Because I'm pretty sure ben ji's uncles just leaves it where it died.

always bring it to the pile. like I've seen several hundred giant ass bloated dead cows of ours hanging off of log chains from a scoop of a giant loader tractor hauling ass down dirt roads to be dumped on the pile. I don't know if it's disease or whatever else but under no circumstances have we ever let something just decompose.

really morbid/awful one is the almost dead ones that also have been drug to the pile still alive and then been alive there for like hours later who were obviously going to die. probably the first time I was tasked with going out there and shooting one I was about 5th grade.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Went back looking for some pictures I took of  a dead cow in the pasture but I think I deleted it.

Did find these great snaps I took of me cruising the pasture hanging out with cows.

https://twitter.com/ben0ji/status/1294121268711698432?s=19

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Heading back to Wyoming to live my best life in 2 weeks and will be spending the night at the cat ranch on the way there and back. (Will probably work from "home" out there one day)

Rumor has it the rain gods have awoken over the last month so maybe there will be some water in the "Creek"!!!

I really hope there is because I would love to sneak up on some ducks while pheasant hunting this fall.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
suck it rocky

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Update on lil Tazee

Happy 6 week birthday to "Lil Tazee" !  This past couple days Tazee has eaten fresh cooked and cut into small pieces chicken and some soft canned cat food.  She ate the glass tip of an eye dropper so only a plastic syringe now.  She tries arching her back in defense.  She enjoys simple play like chewing on your finger.  Plays mouse (your hand) under the covers.  She has a cute, albeit awkward, run.  Farm Kitty always watches, plays with, and bathes Lil Tazee.  When hungry she will come to your feet - associates that with getting food.  Not much of a cryer, pretty quite, but she let's you know she is hungry.  Laying on Farm Kitty's favorite toy - Nemo.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Creek/grass last year

Still no water in our "Creek" this year :(

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 is so bad it downsized the windmill. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
lol

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3387 on: September 02, 2020, 07:52:54 PM »
Made a trip to the pastures today.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #3388 on: September 02, 2020, 11:30:57 PM »
Random question.

Do feedlots put down straw/etc into their massive CAFO pens to keep the ground halfway decent or is just straight muck?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 02, 2020, 11:31:32 PM »
Made a trip to the pastures today.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Nice juggalo cows!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: September 03, 2020, 12:44:47 AM »
Big shout out to this thread for teaching me about 75% of what I know about farming/cow farming.

This June I asked my dad what my uncle had planted in our field(they don't talk much)....he told me milo because he found some seed bags and sent me the picture of the bag. I googled the brand and it was sorghum for silage/feed bales. Told him that and he said nope, its grain Milo..... Whatever.

A couple of weeks ago I asked him how the Milo (grain) crop was doing....(ben ji's dad) Well he's not growing the milo I thought he was, looks like he's gonna bale this and feed it to his cows.

(ben ji)  :gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 03, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »
Can we L O L at how many names sorghum has in its different varieties?

Silage/Ensilage
Plain old Sorghum
Milo
Millet
Broomcorn (elite old timey reference here)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 03, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »
We’ve had a pretty thorough discussion on that topic itt iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 03, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
even i remember that and have no idea what it is.  ben ji has been on drugs

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: September 03, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
'clams, you should plant some broomcorn on the terrace
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 03, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »
Big shout out to this thread for teaching me about 75% of what I know about farming/cow farming.

This June I asked my dad what my uncle had planted in our field(they don't talk much)....he told me milo because he found some seed bags and sent me the picture of the bag. I googled the brand and it was sorghum for silage/feed bales. Told him that and he said nope, its grain Milo..... Whatever.

A couple of weeks ago I asked him how the Milo (grain) crop was doing....(ben ji's dad) Well he's not growing the milo I thought he was, looks like he's gonna bale this and feed it to his cows.

(ben ji)  :gocho:
LOL

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 03, 2020, 12:28:37 PM »
Random question.

Do feedlots put down straw/etc into their massive CAFO pens to keep the ground halfway decent or is just straight muck?
Some do, some don't. Depends on if they have the $ or believe it helps the cattle gain/yield.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: September 03, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »
I have never encountered one that did. Seems like it would just increase the mess tbh.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 03, 2020, 05:48:48 PM »
central ca dairies (same cow living situ as a feedlot) do not put down any litter.  they do scrape off a layer off crap/dirt every once in a while and take it out of the pen.  i assume they put in new dirt to replace the layer of crap, but i've never actually seen them do that, so maybe they don't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
KS feedlots, in my experience, let them live on concrete and crap. It’s not a really great situation for them outside of the boundless delicious food delivered right into your face.