Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 71722 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #650 on: October 07, 2021, 08:51:18 AM »
Relative to non masking issues. Imagine  the authoritarian power rush your average #blueanon school board member or senior school administrator must feel when they can quash all discussion about curriculum.

The jackboots get an extra special shine on those day’s. 

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 07, 2021, 08:59:38 AM »
Ok, I'm curious because I honestly can't think of anything taught in government schools that is objectionable. I'm also not very up to date on the subject because I don't have school age children.

I'm pretty confident that you would not find anything taught in government schools objectionable.

Do they make your kids stand for the pledge at their anti-government school?

No, we homeschool and do not say the pledge of allegiance.  We do say a prayer sometimes.
Government schools in Smallville have Pledge of Allegiance / "give respect to the flag" time in the morning before class. My daughter has a student in her class who is Jehovah's Witness and abstains.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 07, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
I remember having JWs in class.  No Halloween party for them either as I recall

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »
I remember having JWs in class.  No Halloween party for them either as I recall
JH have done a lot of good work for civil liberties over the years. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 07, 2021, 11:36:57 AM »
I knew a home school kid that went to church with some of my friends. Anyway his dad had some small business run out of their basement so there were like 10 computers down there and this kid would invite myself and other nerd bros over for counterstrike lan parties. It was pretty rad.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »
I was surprised that one of my kids' NYC government school said the pledge. The other one didn't.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 08, 2021, 12:03:01 AM »
I was surprised that one of my kids' NYC government school said the pledge. The other one didn't.

For or against?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 08, 2021, 06:52:02 AM »

For or against?
The fact that one said it was a bit of a surprise. Although there are some very conservative NYC neighborhoods and a bit of lingering patriotism because of 9/11 I think.

Columbus Day at our government schools is now "Indigenous Peoples/Italian Heritage Day".

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 08, 2021, 07:10:25 AM »
mumped around and found out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: October 08, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »
I mean, good on his black friend for trying to help his bro not get cancelled (while somehow not being super pissed at the racism). That dude is the real MVP.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 08, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
I think the friend helped make the sign as a joke but correctly identified that it shouldn't be posted to social media (*source is a caller on local radio)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 08, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »
I think the friend helped make the sign as a joke but correctly identified that it shouldn't be posted to social media (*source is a caller on local radio)

That's a weird scenario but I am a white dude so can't really comment.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 10, 2021, 12:25:59 AM »

As a black dude that has, he's going to look back at this with some regret. I let some "friends" in high school get by with, in retrospect, some incredibly racist crap. I was very naive and things aren't as heightened as they are now. That dude is just trying to fit in and not rock the boat.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 10, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »

For or against?
The fact that one said it was a bit of a surprise. Although there are some very conservative NYC neighborhoods and a bit of lingering patriotism because of 9/11 I think.

Columbus Day at our government schools is now "Indigenous Peoples/Italian Heritage Day".

I get Indigenous Peoples, but WTF with Italian Heritage Day?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 10, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »

As a black dude that has, he's going to look back at this with some regret. I let some "friends" in high school get by with, in retrospect, some incredibly racist crap. I was very naive and things aren't as heightened as they are now. That dude is just trying to fit in and not rock the boat.

Yeah, I assume they play football together which probably made him a bit hesitant to tell guy to not pull that kind of crap.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 10, 2021, 11:11:51 AM »

For or against?

I get Indigenous Peoples, but WTF with Italian Heritage Day?

it's to appease Italians upset about not having Columbus Day

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 10, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »

Yeah, I had situations like this when I was younger. One black acquaintance I would see at parties would love telling racist jokes and everyone thought it was hilarious. I obviously view it though a different lens now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 10, 2021, 04:01:35 PM »

Yeah, I had situations like this when I was younger. One black acquaintance I would see at parties would love telling racist jokes and everyone thought it was hilarious. I obviously view it though a different lens now.

I once went to a bar in Platte City. There was one Asian dude in there and a bunch of rednecks. They all called the guy Chink, he even introduced himself that way to the people that brought me there and myself. Needless to say I didn't  than man that word and we all left 30 minutes later.