Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 73151 times)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #375 on: May 05, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Dear liberals,

You look really rough ridin' dumb in this thread.

Your pal,
Sugar Dick

P.S.
The "schools are broke" rhetoric is political bullshit, as demonstrated ad nauseum in this thread, according to either sides numbers.

P.S.S.
I cringe every time one of you retards posts a think to thinkprogress. Don't claim something like a government agency is partisan, and then use that in your retort.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:47 PM »
Where is all of the money going, then?

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-04/kansas-schools-close-early-as-brownback-tax-cuts-squeeze-revenue

And here you go deflecting to another issue yet again. I can't tell you how individual districts are spending their money (well, actually, I could because this will alleventually be reported by the KSDE, but I'm not going to waste my time on that) - my guess is, wastefully, given that they've got more money than ever before. Or (gasp), maybe closing a couple of days early is a nice publicity stunt.

You think schools are furloughing teachers for publicity?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 06, 2015, 07:46:20 AM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-04/kansas-schools-close-early-as-brownback-tax-cuts-squeeze-revenue

And here you go deflecting to another issue yet again. I can't tell you how individual districts are spending their money (well, actually, I could because this will alleventually be reported by the KSDE, but I'm not going to waste my time on that) - my guess is, wastefully, given that they've got more money than ever before. Or (gasp), maybe closing a couple of days early is a nice publicity stunt.

I don't know, and I don't really care. More likely, they're just not managing their record-level funding properly.

It's really pretty embarrassing for you to keep flailing away like this. We're spending more than ever before. It's a point beyond dispute.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 06, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »

I don't know, and I don't really care. More likely, they're just not managing their record-level funding properly.

It's really pretty embarrassing for you to keep flailing away like this. We're spending more than ever before. It's a point beyond dispute.

It looks like we are about $400k below 2009 levels, actually. That shouldn't make a huge difference if you spread it over the entire state, but when schools were budgeted more than $40 million more than the state ended up paying them this year, I think it's pretty easy to see why some of them might have to close early, lay off teachers, or end extra-curricular programs.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »

You don't seem to have an even basic grasp on school financing.  You realize that not school districts rely on multiple sources of revenue, right?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 06, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »

You don't seem to have an even basic grasp on school financing.  You realize that not school districts rely on multiple sources of revenue, right?

Did you even look at the KSDE's numbers? They include federal, state, and local revenue.

Local revenue is computed by determining the total expenditures minus state and federal aid. It is not unusual for a district to accumulate monies in its capital outlay fund for large projects and spend the money in one year. During that year, expenditures will be higher than usual and may drop the following year. Also, in those districts where the voters have approved for a bond issue, the expenditures would be higher in the year that the district begins making bond payments.

You. Are. Flailing.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »

It looks like we are about $400k below 2009 levels, actually. That shouldn't make a huge difference if you spread it over the entire state, but when schools were budgeted more than $40 million more than the state ended up paying them this year, I think it's pretty easy to see why some of them might have to close early, lay off teachers, or end extra-curricular programs.

Huh. Let's look to the KSDE numbers...

School YearEnrollmentState AidFederal AidLocal RevenueTotal SpentTotal Per Pupil
2008-2009447,615.13,287,165,278413,624,5581,965,551,2015,666,731,99212,660
2013-2014461,088.33,267,998,852485,563,0672,221,955,7625,975,517,68112,960

So, in total dollars, that's 5,975,517,681 - 5,666,731,992 = $308,785,689 more in 2014 than 2009.

And per pupil, that's 12,960 - 12,660 = $300 more per pupil in 2014 than 2009.

If you dispute the KSDE's numbers, you should really take it up with them. I'm sure they'd love to be able to demonstrate an actual spending cut.

Flailing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
Maybe you should try putting $3.287 billion in an inflation calculator and see what you get.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 06, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
For those of you keeping score at home, I think this is a current running list of libtard denials for record funding...

1. INFLATION in the last decade.
2. Left wing think tank distortions.
3. KSDE official numbers can't be trusted cause they're in league with the GOP (my favorite)
4. A couple of districts are ending the school year a couple days early.

I'll try to keep this updated as we move along.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:47 AM »
For those of you keeping score at home, I think this is a current running list of libtard denials for record funding...

3. KSDE official numbers can't be trusted cause they're in league with the GOP (my favorite)

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=3.28&year1=2009&year2=2015

3.28 in 2009 = 3.59 today

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 06, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »

Did you even look at the KSDE's numbers? They include federal, state, and local revenue.

Local revenue is computed by determining the total expenditures minus state and federal aid. It is not unusual for a district to accumulate monies in its capital outlay fund for large projects and spend the money in one year. During that year, expenditures will be higher than usual and may drop the following year. Also, in those districts where the voters have approved for a bond issue, the expenditures would be higher in the year that the district begins making bond payments.

You. Are. Flailing.

Right.  But that is not the same for each district.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »

You. Are. Flailing.

Obviously, I'm not looking at this on a district-by-district level. How the money is being apportioned and whether it is equitable is a different issue.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »

It is a bit funny that you dismiss inflation, when you were one of the inflation bugs on here.  But whatever.  It is just a fact that the numbers from KSDE/KPI are not inflation adjusted.  That is an undisputed fact and makes a difference.  A difference that makes your "highest funding levels ever" claim false.  That makes it relevant.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »

Right. I'm not disputing inflation. I'm disputing that it makes any meaningful difference in the real world cost of educating our kids, especially during the "Obama recovery."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »

You. Are. Flailing.

Obviously, I'm not looking at this on a district-by-district level. How the money is being apportioned and whether it is equitable is a different issue.

Well, it is related to the "a couple of districts are ending the school year a couple days early" part.  Talking about "total funding levels" is going miss why some districts are feeling squeezed and others aren't.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »

Right. I'm not disputing inflation. I'm disputing that it makes any meaningful difference in the real world cost of educating our kids, especially during the "Obama recovery."

It makes about $300 million difference when you compare the 08-09 budget to the 14-15 budget.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:35:25 AM by Rage Against the McKee »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Question for the monstrously stupid indoctrinated morons itt:

Which of the consumer goods in the cpi basket has driven the cost of education up the most? Apartment rent? Wine? Airfare? Cigarettes?

I mean, come on. . .
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »

Which of the consumer goods in the cpi basket has driven the cost of education up the most? Apartment rent? Wine? Airfare? Cigarettes?

I mean, come on. . .

probably salaries, real estate, and transportation

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »

I mean, come on. . .

It's totally smokes

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »

I mean, come on. . .

:lol:  this is great.  I bet the numbers will look better if you use transportation and energy costs.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »
I think the cost of new Steinway grand pianos has gone up - oh, that was in Missouri.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 06, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »

I mean, come on. . .

probably salaries, real estate, and transportation

Average Joe with kids in school has seen his net worth shrink during those years.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:38 PM »
Guys, inflation is a real thing. It's widely known that economists look to three major benchmarks in measuring inflation: the cost of gas, milk, and public education.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
I think the cost of new Steinway grand pianos has gone up - oh, that was in Missouri.

No it was in Kansas.  And this is a typical example of something stupid to complain about.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article8867900.html

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 06, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »
Serious question, does Kansas have a single one of the "urban areas" surveyed for the CPI? Wichita or KCK maybe?