Author Topic: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools  (Read 73156 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: State of the State - case closed, money is bad for schools
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »
KDOT just announced that they are putting $300M of repair projects back on the shelf due to cuts.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2015, 03:05:04 PM »
KDOT just announced that they are putting $300M of repair projects back on the shelf due to cuts.

Our roads will resemble Missouri's soon.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

Weird, the report I read said they were still doing all their scheduled projects.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
980 had the KDOT supervisor speaking in a taped segment as part of their news approx 10 min prior to me typing that.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
980 had the KDOT supervisor speaking in a taped segment as part of their news approx 10 min prior to me typing that.

There's no such thing as the KDOT supervisor.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
KDOT rep that Sam let's speak, then

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Rep dove is quoted in our local paper(he is my rep and lives in my neighborhood) as saying he hasn't even read the bill on common core back then and didn't plan to.  He also was quoted as saying that he wasn't sure what common core fully contained. 

Slavery of the mind, tho.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/01/22/3614508/kansas-short-term-thinking-budget/

This just popped up on my Google news feed.

Gov. Sam Brownback (R) wants to cut classroom funding for Kansas schools by $127 million and push pension fund payments off into the future.

Another big-ticket Brownback cut strips roughly $300 million in transportation department funding over the next couple years

All that short-term thinking in Brownback’s budget doesn’t even produce long-term solvency for the state, according to the Star’s editorial board. The paper criticized Brownback’s promise to “continue our march to zero income taxes,” noting that his cuts have not produced job growth in exchange for starving the state of resources.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2015, 11:01:22 AM »
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/01/22/3614508/kansas-short-term-thinking-budget/

Gov. Sam Brownback (R) wants to cut classroom funding for Kansas schools by $127 million and push pension fund payments off into the future.

Another big-ticket Brownback cut strips roughly $300 million in transportation department funding over the next couple years

All that short-term thinking in Brownback’s budget doesn’t even produce long-term solvency for the state, according to the Star’s editorial board. The paper criticized Brownback’s promise to “continue our march to zero income taxes,” noting that his cuts have not produced job growth in exchange for starving the state of resources.

ThinkProgress is in your Google news feed?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »
Nope.  "State of Kansas" is though.  That grabs articles from any publication dealing with that topic. Google didn't give me the option to exempt liberal only media or conservative only media. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
Rep dove is quoted in our local paper(he is my rep and lives in my neighborhood) as saying he hasn't even read the bill on common core back then and didn't plan to.  He also was quoted as saying that he wasn't sure what common core fully contained. 

Every bill is too long to read and too complex for one person to fully understand. There should be a limit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

Every bill is too long to read and too complex for one person to fully understand. There should be a limit.

Yea but maybe read the one you want to refer to as "slavery of the mind" to double check on the mind slavery bits

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »

He was the head of the committee on ed and ed budgeting.  It was/is his job to do exactly that.  Also, he didn't say he didn't read the whole thing.  He said he did read it at all, FWIW. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
Sounds like he thinks this common core stuff is just another brick in the wall.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »

Bills, how do they work?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
From Willie Dove in the LJWorld last Feb:
Dove said it's not the standards themselves that worry him. In fact, he said, “I haven't seen the actual content of the Common Core.”
“However, I do not believe it is within the scope of our federal government to put something together when it comes to education,” Dove continued.

From Common Core's website:
What is the Common Core?
State education chiefs and governors in 48 states came together to develop the Common Core, a set of clear college and career ready standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts/literacy and mathematics.

Who led the development of the Common Core State Standards?
The nation’s governors and education commissioners, through their representative organizations, the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA) and The Council of Chief State School officers (CCSSO), led the development of the Common Core State Standards and continue to lead the initiative. Teachers, parents, school administrators, and experts from across the country, together with state leaders, provided input into the development of the standards.

The ppl that don't like Common Core seem to dislike it because they say it is something the federal govt is shoving down our collective throats.  Common core was developed by the rough ridin' states.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
As a reminder, we the dumbass ppl actually pay Dove. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »

Posting a link to ThinkProgress is an admission of libtardedness

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
I've only seen the anecdotal common core stuff online, and the thought of that crap being taught in schools is truly terrifying.

I also think it was developed long enough ago that current administrations weren't involved and think it's largely been bastardized since. I think quite a few states have dropped it or have at least withdrawn support for it. A us news poll showed teachers dont even support it. So to say the state's created common core as it exists today is quite disingenuous. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »

Posting a link to ThinkProgress is an admission of libtardedness

Your just mad because you wouldn't accept my post yesterday re: $300M cut to road maint only to see it pop up again today via a separate source. 

Weird, the report I read said they were still doing all their scheduled projects.

Maybe you should diversify the leanings of the sources you read.  Might get enough points of view to get reliable info  :dunno:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
people who get pissed about common core may be the dumbest people in the world

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »
I've only seen the anecdotal common core stuff online, and the thought of that crap being taught in schools is truly terrifying.

I also think it was developed long enough ago that current administrations weren't involved and think it's largely been bastardized since. I think quite a few states have dropped it or have at least withdrawn support for it. A us news poll showed teachers dont even support it. So to say the state's created common core as it exists today is quite disingenuous.

Is this your argument as to why republicans are trying to shade it to seem like the fed created these standards?  If so, that seems a little disingenuous. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »

Is this your argument as to why republicans are trying to shade it to seem like the fed created these standards?  If so, that seems a little disingenuous.

The point is the people opposing it aren't the ones who came up with it. I think the point they're making is that the state shouldn't cede it's sovereignty in favor of a national curriculum.

This isn't even a left/right thing. New York and Massachusetts aren't implementing it. The press on it sucks. For god sakes, you've admitted to having access to google.

What it's become is something for leftists to blindly support (eg michigancat above) and pubs to blindly oppose (eg Love)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile