Author Topic: K-State basketball and the tipping point of the fulcrum...  (Read 31149 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State basketball and the tipping point of the fulcrum...
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »
Both of your scenarios are certainly more likely

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
i'm 70% sure of the following...

currie told jamar before he even told frank. that was bush league and probably made frank more upset than anything because it was currie directly interjecting himself into the team and it should have been frank's job to tell jamar. that's on currie.

when currie finally told frank, frank blew up and lost self control w/ currie to the point that other people in the room had to hold him back. that's on frank.

after that there was no turning back and i don't think frank could have returned even if he had wanted to. i think it was done before frank even coached the last game. both were idiots w/ the thing but i think it was a culmination of years of stuff each had bottled up against the other that finally boiled over. untenable situation with plenty of blame to go around.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:48:06 AM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2015, 10:11:02 AM »
I think Daris has the best summary of the situation, the only question I still have is why Currie poked a successful head coach the way he did. 

I mean, when it happened i figured Currie had a pretty good idea who he was going to hire and I don't think that guy was oscar.  I do recall some flippant quote from Currie about people not wanting somebody that played at KU which I took to mean donors didn't want Tad Boyle but that shouldn't of been a surprise, 90% of this fan base defines itself by hating KU. 

I am afraid all the jokes about Dallas hotel rooms, spreadsheets, crappy search firms and other "parts of the process" are really how he hires coaches - it's almost scary enough to make me #seansnyder4hc

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
I think Currie had decided way before Jamar & The Trash Can that he was replacing Frank at season-end, and had started feeling around for replacements in late January or February.  Also think Frank knew this and probably had his guys looking for any prospective jobs.  The Jamar thing and the way Currie handled the people involved was just one last way for him to max-Currie-tweak Frank, and the way Frank reacted was his parting shot.

It was known oscar would be "available" in that same January and February range, and I think he was always high on Currie's list, if not the entirety of the list.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
welp boys, i think we just came up with the subject for Serial Podcast season 2.  someone get ahold of koenig and let's start rolling tape.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
The Dallas Hotel room will go down in K-State infamy.  Like Dealy plaza

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
i think it's entirely possible that jamie vaughn was just a red ass and currie took his word for jamar guidance and the situation was just handled terribly. that probably maikes the most sense.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:06:55 AM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2015, 10:57:56 AM »
Once again, in looking back at all the SLTH, Mid-Major wannabe's and the like that the Frankites wanted to replace Frank, Weber was still probably the best available in terms of who K-State had a realistic shot of hiring.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
welp boys, i think we just came up with the subject for Serial Podcast season 2.  someone get ahold of koenig and let's start rolling tape.

Just had a flashback to the KC big 12 tourney gE podcast when experienced radio DJamer pissclams got the mic.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
The Dallas Hotel room will go down in K-State infamy.  Like Dealy plaza

That hotel room should be the place worth visiting anytime someone has an extended layover in DFW.  gE should have a plaque hung outside the door.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
i think it's entirely possible that jamie vaughn was just a red ass and currie took his word for jamar guidance and the situation was just handled terribly. that probably maikes the most sense.
Currie big timing Frank by telling Jamar first kinda makes this less likely, imo

Offline PBLIllini

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Quote from Weber postgame:
"When our coaches play hard in practice, Coach Frazier, our guys don't like it..they say it's not basketball.. and that's what happened in the second half. OSU played hard and our guys don't like it."
How can hearing/reading that Currie not reach for his whose-available rollerdeck? It's an open admission of coaching ineptitude. A real coach would say "tough crap" and double down after having the team run lines for 20 minutes. I'm sure it's a complaint Frank never heard.

He will never say anything here worse than that Nino quote, it's horrendous.

I remember in one post game PC he talked about taking Chester Frazier to the wizard of oz to help him find a brain.  And Frazier was actually a guy he liked.

I also remember him telling the press how Demitri McCamey went home over thanksgiving and sat around getting fat. 

When Brian Carlwell transferred out of IL, he also talked about him being overweight and basically lazy, not having the commitment to do the work necessary to succeed.

The point is, don't underestimate the depths Bubbles will sink to when it comes to calling out players to the press.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:28:13 AM by PBLIllini »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
Quote from Weber postgame:
"When our coaches play hard in practice, Coach Frazier, our guys don't like it..they say it's not basketball.. and that's what happened in the second half. OSU played hard and our guys don't like it."
How can hearing/reading that Currie not reach for his whose-available rollerdeck? It's an open admission of coaching ineptitude. A real coach would say "tough crap" and double down after having the team run lines for 20 minutes. I'm sure it's a complaint Frank never heard.

He will never say anything here worse than that Nino quote, it's horrendous.

I remember in one post game PC he talked about taking Chester Frazier to the wizard of oz to help him find a brain.  And Frazier was actually a guy he liked.

I also remember him telling the press how Demitri McCamey went home over thanksgiving and sat around getting fat. 

When Brian Carlwell transferred out of IL, he also talked about him being overweight and basically lazy, not having the commitment to do the work necessary to succeed.

The point is, don't underestimate the depths Bubbles will sink to when it comes to calling out players to the press.

1 & 2 are fine.  3 is the only one similar to the nino quote, and while both are bad they're bad in different ways because nino hasn't transferred/quit/expired yet.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

Just had a flashback to the KC big 12 tourney gE podcast when experienced radio DJamer pissclams got the mic.

i was obviously the person best fit to set the tone of that podcast

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
all kidding aside, it's obvious that no one here has played big time college hoops.  these types of messages can be sent through a variety of channels - whether it be text, media, email, "snail mail" <--lol, in the locker room, at IHOP, regardless- the light a fire under a team's ass.  they tell a player who could transfer to almost any d1 team, "listen up fella, go out there and score points and play well". 

sad that some of you don't realize it.

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
i'm 70% sure of the following...

currie told jamar before he even told frank. that was bush league and probably made frank more upset than anything because it was currie directly interjecting himself into the team and it should have been frank's job to tell jamar. that's on currie.

when currie finally told frank, frank blew up and lost self control w/ currie to the point that other people in the room had to hold him back. that's on frank.

after that there was no turning back and i don't think frank could have returned even if he had wanted to. i think it was done before frank even coached the last game. both were idiots w/ the thing but i think it was a culmination of years of stuff each had bottled up against the other that finally boiled over. untenable situation with plenty of blame to go around.

Wish the guys holding Frank back would have let him go so he could have given Currie the 'Ol Cuban night club bouncer punch in the face, sending him to the hospital, then Frank plays Jamar.  That would be going down in style.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2015, 01:58:45 PM »
Absolutely, 100% believe that it was incompetence that led to Frank leaving not some sort of scheme that Currie masterminded. 

I just think John was fundamentally unable to handle Frank.  There were a ton of times this was apparent:

Pay Frank, Cursing/Hitting Apology, Miami flirtation, Curt etc.  It was constant drama and not all of it is at the feet of John in the sense that Frank was absolutely acting like a crazy person.  But as I've always said, John's job is to keep the talent happy.  He's not the talent.

Rough Sketch Formula of Frank's Meltdown/Departure:

(Casey Scott + Curt + Jamar) X (Frank ego)^2 X (John ego)^2

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
where is the tipping point of when if we win out the rest of our regular season games we still dont make the tournament? the point of no theoretical return? 3 more losses?

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
where is the tipping point of when if we win out the rest of our regular season games we still dont make the tournament? the point of no theoretical return? 3 more losses?

We always will have that chance at a magic ticket in the Big 12 tourney.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
Our schedule is so backloaded that 10-8, maybe 9-9 with multiple wins out of the KU, ISU, and Texas games puts back on the bubble, imo.   I guess I would say the break over point would be the 10th loss.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
Our schedule is so backloaded that 10-8, maybe 9-9 with multiple wins out of the KU, ISU, and Texas games puts back on the bubble, imo.   I guess I would say the break over point would be the 10th loss.

Yeah, right now on kenpom, everyone in the league besides TCU and Tech are Top 25 teams. Even TCU is Top 50 right now. Granted, it won't stay that way, but the league had a very good OOC (besides us) so there are plenty of quality wins to be had in this league. I think we'd have to get to at least 10 or 11 total league wins and at least 2-3 of those be against Top 20 teams, but its doable considering the quality of the league this year. It will be very tough though.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »
sorry, i didn't really mean to trick anyone into imagining it was possible. just a thought experiment.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »
sorry, i didn't really mean to trick anyone into imagining it was possible. just a thought experiment.

Just have to win 4 games in 4 days. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Let that sink in for a minute . . .

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
4 days

:barf:
you are looking at this wrong, there will never be a better opportunity to heckle express your thoughts on the state of program to the AD as one of a few hundred souls in the Sprint Center on Wednesday