Author Topic: Promise Keepers  (Read 9982 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Promise Keepers
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
This is totally a white guy thing right?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
Exclusively white weirdos, yes
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
PK is very dorky, and was big in the mega-church boom in the 90s. However, I'm not sure what the problem with a men's organization that focuses on encouraging men to be good husbands/fathers would be. Even if you believe something different than them about religion, that core message is one to be admired IMO.

Probably true CF3, if that's indeed all it is. Putting "I [heart] my wife" bumper stickers on your Plymouth Acclaim is very weird, though.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 02:28:01 PM »
Why does someone need a large support group to be a better husband and dad?  Why roadies to NFL cities?

Why not do the dishes every now and again, maybe some laundry, and play with your kids more.

Am I missing something?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
Why does someone need a large support group to be a better husband and dad?  Why roadies to NFL cities?

Why not do the dishes every now and again, maybe some laundry, and play with your kids more.

Am I missing something?

The flesh is weak Pan

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Better tell this guy he wasn't invited.

http://www.thedesertreview.com/promise-keeper-bound/

Looks like a bus is just about to run him over.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »

Am I missing something?

The flesh is weak Pan

I guess.

I just listen to Cat's in the Cradle every now and again. That usually takes care of me for a few months.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Am I missing something?

Meh. I thinksupport groups generally have a better success rate. Like alcoholics are way more successful when they go to meetings every week, or people who try a thousand diets that don't work find success with Weight Watchers, or whatever. :dunno:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
They have a black friend!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »
Better tell this guy he wasn't invited.

http://www.thedesertreview.com/promise-keeper-bound/

I bet he has heard that a lot unfortunately  :frown:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
Yeah, black men never subscribe to this sort of religious zealotry. Good call.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »

Am I missing something?
just spitballing here but once you determine its cheaper to keep her I imagine roadies to NFL cities with other dudes that have learned the same hard lessons makes getting away with the cheating a lot easier

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
dunno why, but the trolling/mocking ITT got under my skin today. this group was made an impact on my Father (who didn't go to events because of a guilty conscience for cheating or something) and helped him lead my family. my dad was not perfect and just wanted to do the best for his family, and to live a life his kids could admire. not sure why things like that just need to be ceaselessly mocked. i like to think I am open to friends who believe differently than me. In fact, I hope I never get to a point where all my friends and people I surround myself with are of the same religious or political views as I have. Like, I know Tobias and I probably have a ton of opposing views in life, but that doesn't mean we aren't great friends. I'd rather hang out with Tobias than a bunch of boring people who share my world view. I hope some of you guys can understand that yes, a lot of people are dorky or weird or whatever, and its ok to still be their friend and not mock them or things that are important to them. I'm not perfect, never claimed to be, or to have all the answers in life. Sorry for all the times I've been a jerk in the pit or Royals thread or Chiefs or wherever.

those of you who are IRL friends, hope to see you around, text me if you're pak'ing for a basketball game. everyone else: hope to see you around too, maybe I'll come to FF 15. this is probably as good a time as ever to peace out from this blog. maybe I'll pop back in around Royals opening day, maybe not. Until then, good luck everyone. Go Cats.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »
dunno why, but the trolling/mocking ITT got under my skin today. this group was made an impact on my Father (who didn't go to events because of a guilty conscience for cheating or something) and helped him lead my family. my dad was not perfect and just wanted to do the best for his family, and to live a life his kids could admire. not sure why things like that just need to be ceaselessly mocked. i like to think I am open to friends who believe differently than me. In fact, I hope I never get to a point where all my friends and people I surround myself with are of the same religious or political views as I have. Like, I know Tobias and I probably have a ton of opposing views in life, but that doesn't mean we aren't great friends. I'd rather hang out with Tobias than a bunch of boring people who share my world view. I hope some of you guys can understand that yes, a lot of people are dorky or weird or whatever, and its ok to still be their friend and not mock them or things that are important to them. I'm not perfect, never claimed to be, or to have all the answers in life. Sorry for all the times I've been a jerk in the pit or Royals thread or Chiefs or wherever.

those of you who are IRL friends, hope to see you around, text me if you're pak'ing for a basketball game. everyone else: hope to see you around too, maybe I'll come to FF 15. this is probably as good a time as ever to peace out from this blog. maybe I'll pop back in around Royals opening day, maybe not. Until then, good luck everyone. Go Cats.

I hope you reconsider.  I don't think the thread reads all that poorly of PK, more of that Colorado coach.  go royals and go cats

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Weird. Like really weird. Of all the things. Take care CF3!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »
I'm sure most of our dads were in organizations with secret handshakes and stuff. Probably a lot of us here, too. NBD.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
Cf3, I hope you reconsider. You are a good poster on this blog.

As for PK, I went once in the 90s. The idea was to get men together for motivation, mainly to be better people, especially as fathers and husbands. The big events were motivational, then the intent was for guys to go back and be active in their churches and get together to talk about what they heard and encourage one another. There was never anything political and I don't care if some of the organizers had issues, overall they were beneficial to a lot of guys, like Cf3 said with his dad. It was good because in churches lots of guys weren't focusing on this stuff.

Unfortunately like many Christian things this got bigger than it needed to and the original intent was lost. Like too many things, politics and stupidity seeped in and the focus was lost. Plus once you went to one the message should've been heard; then go home and live a worthwhile life, be a good husband/father, and make a positive impact where you live. There is never anything wrong with that. JMHO.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
Don't leave over pk bro.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
Don't leave over pk bro.

if someone making fun of promise keepers makes him think he should leave he should probably just leave. good grief.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
cf3, I mock other people because I'm insecure about myself  :frown:

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »
I found out a lot of my friends were dicks once, it hurts pretty bad.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
I don't think there was a lot of over the top mockery or trolling. I openly question the need for such an event, but my perspective is skewed because the few men that I personally know who went to PK events were kind of crappy husbands and fathers, and they made big proclamations about how they were going to change their lives.  Two or three months later, it was back to the status quo.

I get that if you're into religion, it may help. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, support groups can help, too, but I guess my thought is that these sorts of things probably require regular meetings with a small group. Maybe that happens after these giant events.  I don't know.

Anyway, no intent to offend, CF3.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »

I hope you reconsider.  I don't think the thread reads all that poorly of PK, more of that Colorado coach.  go royals and go cats

I guess you missed the part about all PKers being weird homophobic racists that think their wives should be barefoot in the kitchen.