Author Topic: Holler for the Band!!  (Read 110794 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Holler for the Band!!
« Reply #725 on: October 04, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
Tracz is a fraud and false idol.

you think there are people who idol Frank Tracz?
Yes. Talk to any band nerd or people who care about marching band at all and they put him up with LHC Bill Snyder

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 04, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
The band adds so much to the  whole game experience.  It is fun sitting in the north end zone next to the band.  They are more likeable than the student section as about 1/2 leave 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter.  I guess metal benches give em sore butts.

By the way what is a wabash.  If I went to NY and told a gal let's wabash, I would be arrested.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 04, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
Aside from pregame, we could just play the songs over the PA imo.

Offline Topher

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:58 PM »
In all fairness, Tracz never framed the award this way, nor did he want it framed this way. Any quotes about "best band in the nation" or "national champion" of bands came from university marketing and PR people. If Tracz's goal was to be the best in the nation, he would cut half the band at auditions, making them roughly the size of Ohio State's. But that isn't his goal or educational philosophy.

And yes, most of the people who know him well, or have spent time working with him hold him in high regard because they understand his work ethic and contribution to the university - which goes well beyond the marching band.

He was responsible for founding and securing all large donations for the Marching Pride scholarship endowment, which currently serves over 300 students (most of them non-majors). On a yearly basis he travels, unpaid, to between 20-25 Kansas high schools as a guest clinician, recruiting students looking to major in a variety of subjects, but who also want to perform in an ensemble. The clinics, camps, and festivals that he coordinates bring several thousand students to the campus every year. He does what he does with the smallest staff and budget in the Big 12 (and one of the smallest among P5 schools).

He is the only head director of bands in the Big 12, and one of very few within the ranks of D-I universities, to direct the marching band. His primary responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in music education, directing k-state's top concert ensemble (and overseeing many others), coordinating the graduate program in music education, and acting as faculty advisor to the majority of master's and doctoral candidates within the department of music.

I realize most on this board don't really care about the band or Tracz. But as someone who's known him for many years (and served on his staff) I felt it might be good to have some perspective.... in case he ends up getting called out by Bill O'Reilly again.

Complete change of subject but since the start of this thread was about the Sudler Trophy, I want to talk about how I recently discovered that how Dr. Tracz framed the Sudler Trophy was a damn lie, it isn't anything close to anything having to do with having the best band.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 04, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
cool thx frank
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 04, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
Thank you for you insight, Topher.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 04, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
What's the getting called out by Bill O'Reilly thing!?!?

Offline Topher

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 04, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
BTW, what ever happened to the weird Wildcat March video that someone from goEMAW (chunkles?) made. That was a favorite in the band office before every game. Sad that it's gone  :cry:

cool thx frank

Offline Topher

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 04, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »
The wildcat march video is gone? :frown:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 04, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
In all fairness, Tracz never framed the award this way, nor did he want it framed this way. Any quotes about "best band in the nation" or "national champion" of bands came from university marketing and PR people. If Tracz's goal was to be the best in the nation, he would cut half the band at auditions, making them roughly the size of Ohio State's. But that isn't his goal or educational philosophy.

And yes, most of the people who know him well, or have spent time working with him hold him in high regard because they understand his work ethic and contribution to the university - which goes well beyond the marching band.

He was responsible for founding and securing all large donations for the Marching Pride scholarship endowment, which currently serves over 300 students (most of them non-majors). On a yearly basis he travels, unpaid, to between 20-25 Kansas high schools as a guest clinician, recruiting students looking to major in a variety of subjects, but who also want to perform in an ensemble. The clinics, camps, and festivals that he coordinates bring several thousand students to the campus every year. He does what he does with the smallest staff and budget in the Big 12 (and one of the smallest among P5 schools).

He is the only head director of bands in the Big 12, and one of very few within the ranks of D-I universities, to direct the marching band. His primary responsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in music education, directing k-state's top concert ensemble (and overseeing many others), coordinating the graduate program in music education, and acting as faculty advisor to the majority of master's and doctoral candidates within the department of music.

I realize most on this board don't really care about the band or Tracz. But as someone who's known him for many years (and served on his staff) I felt it might be good to have some perspective.... in case he ends up getting called out by Bill O'Reilly again.

Complete change of subject but since the start of this thread was about the Sudler Trophy, I want to talk about how I recently discovered that how Dr. Tracz framed the Sudler Trophy was a damn lie, it isn't anything close to anything having to do with having the best band.

I love our band, they're great.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 05, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »
Tracz is a fraud and false idol.

you think there are people who idol Frank Tracz?
Yes. Talk to any band nerd or people who care about marching band at all and they put him up with LHC Bill Snyder

Was in marching band 4 years. I had a great experience and made a lot of friends and would hope my kids get an experience like that. I don't know a single person who I was in band with who thinks about Tracz like that. He has a crazy temper, at least he did then. I think he does a good job and its a tough gig, but he's a flawed guy. Most people who are around him realize this.

I like him but nobody idolizes him. At least nobody I know.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 05, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »
Marching bands are one of the things that keep college football from becoming nfl lite. I really don't care about pre-game or half-time (tho I love when they March through the parking lot getting everyone pumped), but the atmosphere during a game with the band is fantastic. There is absolutely no way to replicate that by just playing the songs over the sound system.

Also band pub crawls on friday evening  :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 05, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 05, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
Marching bands are one of the things that keep college football from becoming nfl lite. I really don't care about pre-game or half-time (tho I love when they March through the parking lot getting everyone pumped), but the atmosphere during a game with the band is fantastic. There is absolutely no way to replicate that by just playing the songs over the sound system.

The Redskins tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vvmZoRsJzs

:D

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 05, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »

totally agree. there's a big portion of fans who want jock jams, but (as a band nerd) I love what the band brings.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 05, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »

totally agree. there's a big portion of fans who want jock jams, but (as a band nerd) I love what the band brings.

We have the perfect mix of band and canned audio.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
The band is good this year.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 14, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »
Still leading the league in performing in t shirts and shorts.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 14, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Wabash hasn't been played today

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 14, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Interesting they won't Wabash but have no problem playing that stroke me stroke me song.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
It was played 4 different times in the second half. I don’t know when you posted this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 14, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
It was played 4 different times in the second half. I don’t know when you posted this.

You probably should be able to figure it out, no?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 14, 2017, 10:51:07 PM »
Still leading the league in performing in t shirts and shorts.

Tom

Tom! Yes!  Would love to get CF3's thoughts on this phenomenon.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 14, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
The band is good this year.

The only thing worth a lick this year.