Author Topic: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread  (Read 316691 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1575 on: January 07, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
The only/best thing I could see would be a recruiting issue.  Keeping the ones Bill signed.  But even then, that is assuming that Venzy wants the same type of kids and that those kids are stupid enough to not understand what is going on.

I honestly think any transition that keeps Bill would be more damaging than good in that it keeps a control freak over the shoulder of a guy who will be making changes to Bill's systems and it will be confusing to staff and players.   Just seems 1. unlikely and 2. like there is way more negative than positive in such a hypothetical.

yep. Plus it's a slap in the face to Brent. "Hey Brent, you're not ready."

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1576 on: January 07, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
The only/best thing I could see would be a recruiting issue.  Keeping the ones Bill signed.  But even then, that is assuming that Venzy wants the same type of kids and that those kids are stupid enough to not understand what is going on.

I honestly think any transition that keeps Bill would be more damaging than good in that it keeps a control freak over the shoulder of a guy who will be making changes to Bill's systems and it will be confusing to staff and players.   Just seems 1. unlikely and 2. like there is way more negative than positive in such a hypothetical.

I never said Venables would run the show for the first year.  It would be Snyder's show because it's always Snyder's show.

Here are some things I feel we can comfortably say based on observation:

1. Brent Venables has a great job and can be extremely picky about his next move
2. P5 schools, in general, are not hiring assistants to be head coaches any longer, unless it's an internal promotion (i.e. Helfrich, Fisher, etc.).  There are a couple of exceptions (Narduzzi @ Pitt, Beaty to Kansas), but those are pretty awful jobs.  For the most part, even really good coordinators are being pushed to the mid-major ranks to prove themselves first.  Montgomery to Tulsa, Morris to SMU, Herman to Houston, etc. are a few different examples.

So, let's just say that you're Venables, and you're making $800k a year and living life comfortably at Clemson.  Maybe you have no interest in making $1.3 million coaching at an AAC school.  You're making a lot of money without a lot of pressure. 

However, you're not opposed to coaching a good P5 program.  Obviously, some black hole job like KU doesn't interest you, and maybe you aren't into coaching at Kentucky, Vanderbilt, North Carolina State, etc.  You'd rather just coach at Clemson because it's fun, you're paid like a mid-major HC, and life is good.  If some bigger program you have interest in, like UW, comes along and you're into it, that's great, but odds are those guys are going to go after an established mid-major guy or some lateral P5 coach.  That's just what the last few years have shown us.

So, LHC Bill Snyder gives you a call.  He talks to you for a little bit about how things are going, he congratulates you on a great season and how good your defense looks.  He talks about not getting any younger.  He says he wants to keep his family together, but he's afraid that his AD won't promote anyone from within.  He discusses how he's talked with John about how he wants to leave his program and your (Brent) name came up.  He'd like to talk with you about an opportunity to come in for a year and then take over the program so he can retire and go watch his grandkids' baseball games.  He'd like to step down now, but it's too late before signing day and he likes the class he's put together.  He also doesn't want his staff to have any uncertainty about their future with a lot of the jobs already getting filled across the country.

This isn't some scenario where we're saying he's not ready.  He's ready.  Everyone knows that he's ready.  Snyder probably knows he's ready. It's more along the lines of Snyder wanting to have a gentle exit as opposed to an abrupt one (like last time) and the chaos that ensues from that.  He loses a lot of control that way.  From Venables' perspective, this may be the path of least resistance to a good P5 job so he doesn't have to spend time at some place like Tulane or South Florida like most of his assistant peers.  Especially if there's an understanding that he will be named HC when Snyder steps down after the 2015 season.

No mid-major job, easy transition with no rush to put together a staff, not having to re-recruit current commitments and cobble together a class in less than two months, etc.  Just a very simple lateral move with a gig at a winning Big 12 school within 12 months.  Hell, we'll even pay you 800k.

It's not a slap in the face.  It's actually somewhat practical.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 07, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
kstate attempting to get venzy to greyshirt does sound like something we would try. hmmmmm

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 07, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »
kstate attempting to get venzy to greyshirt does sound like something we would try. hmmmmm

Oh man!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1579 on: January 07, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »

I look at it more like Venables probably has no interest in coaching at some mid-major for any reason (he's never coached at one in his entire career), and he realizes that his best way to avoid that and get a decent job is to be HCIW somewhere.

If Dabo stepped down tomorrow, I'm sure he'd be Clemson's #1 choice now that Morris is gone.  But Dabo isn't going anywhere.  So, where do you go where you can get yourself a little Jimbo Fisher sort of deal going on?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 07, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

yep, we'd even wait to start paying him until after Spring semester

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 07, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »

LOL

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 07, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »

Could he eat with the team?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 07, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »

I never said Venables would run the show for the first year.  It would be Snyder's show because it's always Snyder's show.

1. Brent Venables has a great job and can be extremely picky about his next move
2. P5 schools, in general, are not hiring assistants to be head coaches any longer, unless it's an internal promotion (i.e. Helfrich, Fisher, etc.).  There are a couple of exceptions (Narduzzi @ Pitt, Beaty to Kansas), but those are pretty awful jobs.  For the most part, even really good coordinators are being pushed to the mid-major ranks to prove themselves first.  Montgomery to Tulsa, Morris to SMU, Herman to Houston, etc. are a few different examples.

So, let's just say that you're Venables, and you're making $800k a year and living life comfortably at Clemson.  Maybe you have no interest in making $1.3 million coaching at an AAC school.  You're making a lot of money without a lot of pressure. 

However, you're not opposed to coaching a good P5 program.  Obviously, some black hole job like KU doesn't interest you, and maybe you aren't into coaching at Kentucky, Vanderbilt, North Carolina State, etc.  You'd rather just coach at Clemson because it's fun, you're paid like a mid-major HC, and life is good.  If some bigger program you have interest in, like UW, comes along and you're into it, that's great, but odds are those guys are going to go after an established mid-major guy or some lateral P5 coach.  That's just what the last few years have shown us.

So, LHC Bill Snyder gives you a call.  He talks to you for a little bit about how things are going, he congratulates you on a great season and how good your defense looks.  He talks about not getting any younger.  He says he wants to keep his family together, but he's afraid that his AD won't promote anyone from within.  He discusses how he's talked with John about how he wants to leave his program and your (Brent) name came up.  He'd like to talk with you about an opportunity to come in for a year and then take over the program so he can retire and go watch his grandkids' baseball games.  He'd like to step down now, but it's too late before signing day and he likes the class he's put together.  He also doesn't want his staff to have any uncertainty about their future with a lot of the jobs already getting filled across the country.

This isn't some scenario where we're saying he's not ready.  He's ready.  Everyone knows that he's ready.  Snyder probably knows he's ready. It's more along the lines of Snyder wanting to have a gentle exit as opposed to an abrupt one (like last time) and the chaos that ensues from that.  He loses a lot of control that way.  From Venables' perspective, this may be the path of least resistance to a good P5 job so he doesn't have to spend time at some place like Tulane or South Florida like most of his assistant peers.  Especially if there's an understanding that he will be named HC when Snyder steps down after the 2015 season.

No mid-major job, easy transition with no rush to put together a staff, not having to re-recruit current commitments and cobble together a class in less than two months, etc.  Just a very simple lateral move with a gig at a winning Big 12 school within 12 months.  Hell, we'll even pay you 800k.

I'd give my left big toe for this.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 09, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
David Ubben?@davidubben·6s6 seconds ago
LHC Bill Snyder says he intends to return to Kansas State in 2015.

:buh-bye:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 09, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
so are we still grey shirting venzy or what?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
Hasn't Venzy interviewed and been shot down for about a billion HC gigs while at OU?

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
Welp.....I guess let's fire this thread back up after the 2015 season guys. :cry:

Or we could speculate on whether Hayes is going to retire, since that is the "rumor", right? Can we change to thread to Hayes Retirement Coaching Search?
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: January 09, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
This Venzy thing has legs. Source B+.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
Your mom has legs. Source A+.  :lol:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
so are we still grey shirting venzy or what?

I bet he chose TCU.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 09, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
Do we go for another HOF coach / now president of Youngstown State University?

http://web.ysu.edu/president

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
omg

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 09, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »

So, LHC LHC Bill Snyder gives you a call.  He talks to you for a little bit about how things are going, he congratulates you on a great season and how good your defense looks.  He talks about not getting any younger.  He says he wants to keep his family together, but he's afraid that his AD won't promote anyone from within.  He discusses how he's talked with John about how he wants to leave his program and your (Brent) name came up.  He'd like to talk with you about an opportunity to come in for a year and then take over the program so he can retire and go watch his grandkids' baseball games.  He'd like to step down now, but it's too late before signing day and he likes the class he's put together.  He also doesn't want his staff to have any uncertainty about their future with a lot of the jobs already getting filled across the country.

Would be a very desirable outcome.  No Ron Princiness in this scenario.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 09, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
the most desirable outcome is Bill announcing his retirement early and hiring BV before the Bowl game (assuming there is one) so BV can clean house. 2nd most desirable outcome is Bill retiring now and hiring BV now. greyshirting BV is a ridiculous and unnecessary slap in the face.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 09, 2015, 12:10:03 PM »
the most desirable outcome is Bill announcing his retirement early and hiring BV before the Bowl game (assuming there is one) so BV can clean house. 2nd most desirable outcome is Bill retiring now and hiring BV now. greyshirting BV is a ridiculous and unnecessary slap in the face.

redshirt then?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 09, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »

redshirt then?

yeah keep him on scholarship at clemson

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 09, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
Do we go for another HOF coach / now president of Youngstown State University?

http://web.ysu.edu/president

We should.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 09, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »
Venzy just signed a 4 year extension at Clemson.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 09, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »
Venzy just signed a 4 year extension at Clemson.
So much for that source.   :bawl: