Author Topic: Our Offense (Dana Dimel Appreciation Thread)  (Read 6724 times)

Offline LeggoKatZ

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Our Offense (Dana Dimel Appreciation Thread)
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
Meh.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »
passing is stupid.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
it's cool to have a few guys capable of long runs at any moment

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
Dimel's game plan for A&M was really solid for most of the game, outside of the few brain fart plays we always have whenever he tries to get too cute (i.e. passing on 1st down with 7 minutes left and we're trying to run the rough ridin' clock).  :billdance: also needs to sweep the leg whenever we have 4th and inches in opponents' territory and we're in position to go up 2+ scores and ice the game in the 3rd. Regardless, going away from Garrett all game and then running to his side whenever he's on the sideline was good play design, and Dimel did a nice job setting up plays to exploit the weak spots in A&M's secondary.

Also that short yardage formation :love: :love: :love:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Dimel's game plan for A&M was really solid for most of the game, outside of the few brain fart plays we always have whenever he tries to get too cute (i.e. passing on 1st down with 7 minutes left and we're trying to run the rough ridin' clock).  :billdance: also needs to sweep the leg whenever we have 4th and inches in opponents' territory and we're in position to go up 2+ scores and ice the game in the 3rd. Regardless, going away from Garrett all game and then running to his side whenever he's on the sideline was good play design, and Dimel did a nice job setting up plays to exploit the weak spots in A&M's secondary.

Also that short yardage formation :love: :love: :love:

"They are not passing out of that"
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
I like the statement it makes for our offense.  "We're all going to push your weak ass defense back and we don't care if you're aware of it, cause that's what going to happen pussies." 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
So a guy who ran 1 jet sweep with one of our speedy WR's all season and it took the bowl game to do it is good?  :sdeek:
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
Not getting on a Dimel bandwagon. I'm happy the Cats won but his play calling frustrated me too much this season and last.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
So a guy who ran 1 jet sweep with one of our speedy WR's all season and it took the bowl game to do it is good?  :sdeek:

I look at it this way.  I watched KSU run thejet sweep for years in conference and utterly such at it.  In part, because of the conference D's are used to it in the league, and are so damn quick at covering the whole field.  But, going against an SEC team where they just don't do such things, apparently aTm just didn't get how to cover it.

Just my take, but hell, I'm an old man who used to mumble under his breath at the Bill as KSU ran that thing for years and got nada with it (and faked it far more often and defenses didn't seem to care).  However, that could be selective memory (senility and all).

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »

I look at it this way.  I watched KSU run thejet sweep for years in conference and utterly such at it.  In part, because of the conference D's are used to it in the league, and are so damn quick at covering the whole field.  But, going against an SEC team where they just don't do such things, apparently aTm just didn't get how to cover it.

Just my take, but hell, I'm an old man who used to mumble under his breath at the Bill as KSU ran that thing for years and got nada with it (and faked it far more often and defenses didn't seem to care).  However, that could be selective memory (senility and all).
Agreed.  I'm sure the success rate for that play is much higher than my recollection, but that is like the first KSU jet sweep I've ever seen be successful.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 06:22:01 AM »
I hope this post was created with 100% sarcasm.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »
Not getting on a Dimel bandwagon. I'm happy the Cats won but his play calling frustrated me too much this season and last.
i cant recall 1 single short side option play this year

PROGRESS!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
The ability to produce the best (YPC) running game in Snyder history without a consistent downfield passing game (only 6.5 YPA). The lowest turnover rate under Snyder. The development of a young oline into a dominant unit. The progression of a young group of running backs and receivers.

All of that is impressive to me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »
He always seems to come up with cool (effective) plays that I've never seen before. Like some of the run pass option variations and that fake long bomb that was really a QB sweep that we ran against OU.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
I still don't like him.  Wasn't last year when the team had a meeting due to the crappy play calling of Dana/Del.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
He has shown to be very innovative during this stint.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with Bill being hands off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
I've seen several teams this bowl season running a lot of the run pass concepts that we run and it looks terrible/awkward while sisco and friends make it look effortless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
The scheme is great.  The playcalling is pretty bizarre sometimes (particularly WVU).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
The scheme is great.  The playcalling is pretty bizarre sometimes (particularly WVU).

This is my view. It's possible to complement Dimel/Synds for having a good overall strategy and criticize them for individual dumbass play calls at the same time.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »

This is my view. It's possible to complement Dimel/Synds for having a good overall strategy and criticize them for individual dumbass play calls at the same time.
Yes, this is how I feel.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

Oh, there are plenty of questionable decisions. But I know that part of that is the evolution of a team and figuring out what you have to work with. For a season and a third that last two seasons I don't think they had it figured out, but after WVU they did.

Let's not forget that agaisnt WVU we ran it 42 times for 120 yards. 2.86 per carry with this year's offense is pretty rough, fortunately in that game our defense kept us in it. However, I do think the staff learned a lot from that one and it showed (besides OU) after that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »

Oh, there are plenty of questionable decisions. But I know that part of that is the evolution of a team and figuring out what you have to work with. For a season and a third that last two seasons I don't think they had it figured out, but after WVU they did.

Let's not forget that agaisnt WVU we ran it 42 times for 120 yards. 2.86 per carry with this year's offense is pretty rough, fortunately in that game our defense kept us in it. However, I do think the staff learned a lot from that one and it showed (besides OU) after that.
Yep.  Don't get me wrong.  I like Dimel, and I trust Dimel.  During games I'll curse him sometimes though. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »

:thumbs:

Always appreciate your perspective, _FAN.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
In a league known for offense, and by most metrics the best P5 offensive league in the country, K-State was the 3rd best offense in conference play. That's behind OU, who arguably had the best offense in the country and OSU, who had a Top 20 offense.

Yes, Tech's season offense was better, but in Big 12 play when you look at PPP, PPD, Succ%, and PPD<40 we were equal or better.

K-State was hurt in the metrics (again) because our YPP doesn't equate with our PPP or Succ%. We will likely be a more explosive offense next year though and that will put us in the top 20 in the advanced metrics instead of the 40s.