Author Topic: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread  (Read 316694 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder Retirement Coaching Search Master Thread
« Reply #1350 on: January 02, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
The more you think about it the more Leavitt makes sense for a variety of reasons

- Currie loves coaches with prior head coaching experience.

Check

- Tucks would love anyone from the BS coaching tree.

Check

- Bill wants to make sure the Dimel/Sean/Hayes gang gets taken care of(Mainly just sean). Leavitt could keep the gang together.

Check

- Sean gets a few more years of tutelage from a different mentor before taking over as HC.

Check

As a long-time Leavitt bandwagon member, I was discouraged by Currie's alleged veto of Leavitt's hire by LHCBS.  Is this allegation true?

No idea but Leavitt fits all the "requirements" Currie seems to have for head coaches. Only issue may be his "Frank" treatment of players.

Snyder knows he can wait Currie out to position Sean/Dimel as his successor and Currie knows a football hire is the one thing missing from his resume. Neither seems willing to budge but Leavitt gives them a way they can both win.

Currie gets his big football hire to put on his resume and Snyder gets assurances from Leavitt that Sean/Dimel will be kept on staff/groomed to take over after him.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
He does not fit the requirements.  One of the requirements is to suck total balls. 
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 02, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
I don't think Leavitt would be a "Great" hire but I do think it would be better than what Currie would do after locking himself in a dallas hotel room for 48 hours.

Leavitt takes over and keeps the gang together....Currie is happy and snyder is happy.

If Leavitt comes in for a couple of years as DC/AHC and then takes over, while keeping the vast majority of the staff, it keeps the momentum going.

The more I think about it, this feels like a Currie hire. I bet he's already realized he made a mistake by not just promoting Brad. There are several examples of non-traditional powers continually hiring from within to sustain success. Also, you don't have to overpay and deal with buyouts like you do with every other coach not associated with your program.

To be honest, the oscar eff up is going to force us to cut into the football coaching budget since we will most likely be paying oscar $2+ million for three years. I bet if we get Leavitt, he'd take the promotion for less than 2 million. If we get Brad for less than 2, we can probably stay relatively budget neutral.

Great point, had not thought of Leavitt coming in as DC for a couple years before taking over. Would we keep Hayes on as a "Co-Defensive Coordinator" or would he go back to running a tanners? His defenses have been pretty good but Hayes is like 90 bagillion years old.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1353 on: January 02, 2015, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 02, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
He does not fit the requirements.  One of the requirements is to suck total balls.

for some reason i questioned this, then remembered he was ran out for the frankish type scandal, not for losing. and damn, he was pretty good considering the program he coached at and starting the it from the ground up.

FCS:
1997    South Florida    5–6          
1998    South Florida    8–3          
1999    South Florida    7–4          
2000    South Florida    7–4          

FBS:
2001    South Florida    8–3          
2002    South Florida    9–2          
2003    South Florida    7–4
2004    South Florida    4–7   
2005    South Florida    6–6
2006    South Florida    9–4
2007    South Florida    9–4
2008    South Florida    8–5
2009    South Florida    8–5

95–57 overall

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1355 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
I don't think Leavitt would be a "Great" hire but I do think it would be better than what Currie would do after locking himself in a dallas hotel room for 48 hours.

Leavitt takes over and keeps the gang together....Currie is happy and snyder is happy.

If Leavitt comes in for a couple of years as DC/AHC and then takes over, while keeping the vast majority of the staff, it keeps the momentum going.

The more I think about it, this feels like a Currie hire. I bet he's already realized he made a mistake by not just promoting Brad. There are several examples of non-traditional powers continually hiring from within to sustain success. Also, you don't have to overpay and deal with buyouts like you do with every other coach not associated with your program.

To be honest, the oscar eff up is going to force us to cut into the football coaching budget since we will most likely be paying oscar $2+ million for three years. I bet if we get Leavitt, he'd take the promotion for less than 2 million. If we get Brad for less than 2, we can probably stay relatively budget neutral.

Great point, had not thought of Leavitt coming in as DC for a couple years before taking over. Would we keep Hayes on as a "Co-Defensive Coordinator" or would he go back to running a tanners? His defenses have been pretty good but Hayes is like 90 bagillion years old.

Hayes has to retire soon. He's getting up there.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 02, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
The more you think about it the more Leavitt makes sense for a variety of reasons

- Currie loves coaches with prior head coaching experience.

Check

- Tucks would love anyone from the BS coaching tree.

Check

- Bill wants to make sure the Dimel/Sean/Hayes gang gets taken care of(Mainly just sean). Leavitt could keep the gang together.

Check

- Sean gets a few more years of tutelage from a different mentor before taking over as HC.

Check

As a long-time Leavitt bandwagon member, I was discouraged by Currie's alleged veto of Leavitt's hire by LHCBS.  Is this allegation true?

I thought there were rumors that Currie wanted to hire him and Snyder nixed it because he knew it meant Leavitt would be HCIW, and therefore Sean would not be.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 02, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Hmmmmm, maybe they are bringing him in to be HCIW for just one year and next year is Bill's Derek Jeter year, where at every game the other team gives him elaborate custom cowboy boots, then Leavitt takes over?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 02, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
i can't wait to read all about it when the leavitt story breaks

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 02, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
i can think of 501 good reasons why Leavitt fits just right

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 02, 2015, 02:33:43 PM »
you guys there really aren't that many good leavitt puns

Offline Big_Dipper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 02, 2015, 02:38:19 PM »
We should really use less leavitty in this thread...  :dunno:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 02, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »

love it or leavitt

or alternatively

leavitt or leave it

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 02, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
USF fell in a dumpster fire after Leavitt left. Makes him look good.

Questions

How high was USF in the BIG EAST pecking order? (Cinn, Lou, WVU)
How far down is USF in the terms of florida university? (UF, FSU, MIA, UCF?)
Is USF a good job?
Also was Leavitt handicapped in the terms of hiring assistants from Bill coaching tree? Would of been behind Bill (KSU), Bob (OU), Mike(Arizona) and Mark (KU) at times.   

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 02, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »

love it or leavitt

or alternatively

leavitt or leave it

never heard that one before spracne, you're really good at this

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: January 02, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »

love it or leavitt

or alternatively

leavitt or leave it

never heard that one before spracne, you're really good at this

Thanks.  I made sure to read through every thread to make sure it hadn't been said yet.  Another Sp®a©ne original!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1366 on: January 02, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
Regarding my earlier point about Leavitt/Underwood being cheaper options to offset oscar's ultimate buyout...

Snyder currently makes $2.85 million a year.  Weber makes $1.85 million.  That's a combined $4.7 million.  Each of them has $100k raises every year, so each year it's a $200k combined increase for both.

Here is what it would look like at the current rate as we move towards 2020:

2015-16: $4.9m
2016-17: $5.1m
2017-18: $5.3m
2018-19: $5.5m
2019-20: $5.7m
2020-21: $5.9m

So, let's say we keep Weber this year and next, and then we can him for being worthless.  That will leave his salary on the books until 2018-19.  Odds are that Bill won't be coaching then, so we'll have a need for a replacement there.

Currently, Underwood makes $400k at SFA.  I'm guessing that he'd come here for a hometown discount, I'll just assume we can get him here for $1.15 million in 2016-2017.  Let's say that Snyder sticks around for two years and leaves at the same time, so we promote Leavitt for, I don't know, $1.85m annually.  I mean, really, who else is going to pay him that much at his age?  Nobody.  So, he'll take it.  Give them the same $100k escalators each year that we give everyone else because that's just what we do.

If you add Underwood at $1.15m, Leavitt at $1.85m, and Weber's leftover salary at $2.05m, that's a total of $5.05m.  That's $50k under our allotted budget should both Weber and Snyder still be here at their current rates ($5.1m).  Given that there are three $100k escalators for all three contracts, and really, we're pretty much right on target with what we currently have budgeted right now.  In 2017/18, we'd be $50k over normal allocation and the following year, which is the last with Weber's contract, we'd only be $150k over.  in 2019/20, we'd be $2.1 million under budgeted allocation, so there would be a lot of room to increase and extend both coaches should the need arise.

If you're in Currie's position, this really is a win/win for you.  Very safe hires, both of them would go over gangbusters with the fans, and you'd sell a ton of tickets.  Not to mention the fact that it's right in his fiscal wheelhouse.

If you're Snyder, as has been already mentioned, you get the guy you wanted to follow you the first time, he will almost certainly keep every single person you want him to keep since it's "in the family", and you have an opportunity to bring him in now to get him into the program and stabilize it before you retire so the handoff is seamless.

The more I look at this, regardless of what I think specifically about the Leavitt hire, it really makes a lot of sense if you're Currie.  No one would ever chastise him for hiring Leavitt.  And he'd be a hero for bringing Underwood back with the tuck fans.  And it fits his budget???

I think there's a better than average chance of seeing this within three years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
A boot collection like that would be awesome, and I don't wear boots.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 02, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
That sounds all fine and dandy but then what are we going to do with all this private money?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 02, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
That sounds all fine and dandy but then what are we going to do with all this private money?
Prolly pay bill 500k a year for "consulting"  services or something :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 02, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
Additional pay for assistant coaches?  :dunno:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 02, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »
I mean we could invite the assistant coaches to rake leaves in a separate leaf raking session from the players.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 02, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
Boost that bottom line son
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 02, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
Prolly pay bill 500k a year for "consulting"  services or something :dunno:

He be a full time letter writer for our team!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 02, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Isn't oscar's buyout $2.5 million OR the remaining years on his contract Whichever is LESS and subtract any coaching salary?

We can fire oscar after next year no problem.