Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 50308 times)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
i'll have to check that one out, i've heard about it but i feel like it will keep me awake

the new podcast from Variety is ok, it's entitled,  "playback with kris tapley"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »
CBB is kind of hit or miss and getting into it is sort of an undertaking.  They make quite a few in-jokes and there's over 400 episodes.  That said, I'm very, very glad I got into it.  There are a few recurring guests that never fail to make me laugh hysterically.

The last 20 minutes of today's show is maybe my favorite.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
I've enjoyed parts of both More Perfect and Revisionist History. Also, Radiolab was good today for the first time in a while
:adios:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2016, 10:58:13 PM »
is anyone else listening to beautiful stories from anonymous people?  i like it like greg likes heroin.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
Started Hardcore History yesterday.  Started with the Blue Print to Armageddon four part series.  Really good.  I am four hours into it in two days. 

He does a good job of conveying a crap load of historical info in a very interesting manner. 

Makes me wish I paid a bunch more attention to HS history class.
It's the best.  And I graduated with a degree in history from Kansas State (phi beta kappa) so I can be considered quite an authority on history podcasts.  Dan is the greatest.  Because they're so long (the latest Countdown to Argmageddon is 4.5 hours  :surprised:) it can be a lot to digest at once.  I try to save them for my trips to and from KC/Champaign.

He also has something of a current events podcasts that usually get released once every 2-3 weeks which are also very good.  It's more of a commentary from him, but they're great if you want some more Dan Carlin in between the HH shows.

I really really love HH but I really really hate the way Dan says the word "quote"
Esp as those longer epis drag on he stops even saying quote and just makes weird gurgling noises

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »
Started Hardcore History yesterday.  Started with the Blue Print to Armageddon four part series.  Really good.  I am four hours into it in two days. 

He does a good job of conveying a crap load of historical info in a very interesting manner. 

Makes me wish I paid a bunch more attention to HS history class.
It's the best.  And I graduated with a degree in history from Kansas State (phi beta kappa) so I can be considered quite an authority on history podcasts.  Dan is the greatest.  Because they're so long (the latest Countdown to Argmageddon is 4.5 hours  :surprised:) it can be a lot to digest at once.  I try to save them for my trips to and from KC/Champaign.

He also has something of a current events podcasts that usually get released once every 2-3 weeks which are also very good.  It's more of a commentary from him, but they're great if you want some more Dan Carlin in between the HH shows.

I really really love HH but I really really hate the way Dan says the word "quote"
Esp as those longer epis drag on he stops even saying quote and just makes weird gurgling noises
i really really hate when people say negative things about dan. it makes me hate the person saying the things.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »
Every time Dan says the word "indeed" is like finger nails on a chalkboard to me. Like, "then that would make a very powerful weapon indeed." You don't need the "indeed" part, Dan. It's a waste of breath that just sounds like you're trying to be fancy for no reason.

Really enjoy the podcasts otherwise.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Two of my favs (may have been mentioned):

How to do Everything (some interesting trivia type stuff but mostly just funny). You will know after one episode whether or not it is for you.

Science Vs (entertaining but very informative and practical knowledge that you can share with your friends). I'm pretty sure you will either love or hate the host(ess).

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
forgot to follow up. i did the first 2 martyr made but took a break. i'll do the rest later. each ep is so long, but really good and loaded with info. Although I am bothered that the guy calls the book of Exodus "Iron Age Mythology" but it shouldn't really surprise me. Thanks so much for the recommendation bubs

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
Every time Dan says the word "indeed" is like finger nails on a chalkboard to me. Like, "then that would make a very powerful weapon indeed." You don't need the "indeed" part, Dan. It's a waste of breath that just sounds like you're trying to be fancy for no reason.

Really enjoy the podcasts otherwise.
eff you.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Yea, I was prepared for that.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
forgot to follow up. i did the first 2 martyr made but took a break. i'll do the rest later. each ep is so long, but really good and loaded with info. Although I am bothered that the guy calls the book of Exodus "Iron Age Mythology" but it shouldn't really surprise me. Thanks so much for the recommendation bubs
:thumbs:

he has some writing on marytrmade.com where he indicates that he's a person of faith. i think he's just trying to be as detached and scholarly as possible.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »
hmm interesting. there's so much in there that just makes me go "What? Really? Damn no way" like every 2 minutes

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
I initially was going to skip the Shop Talk epi but decided to go ahead and listed.  Glad I did.  Would recommend.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2016, 01:46:49 PM »
hmm interesting. there's so much in there that just makes me go "What? Really? Damn no way" like every 2 minutes

yep. every 15 minutes you change your opinion about who the most guilty party is/was.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
You guys are too smart for me. if it's not a majority of dick or fart jokes then I get bored fast
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
You guys are too smart for me. if it's not a majority of dick or fart jokes then I get bored fast
may I recommend to you comedy bang bang aka "talkin' tang"

the episode last week (ft. "Larry the Loner") made me cry laughing in an alley on the way to work.  I made bubbles listen to that particular segment and he said he thought it was funny, but I think he was just being polite.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
I tried listening to Comedy Bang Bang once and couldn't stand it. But I really like it when Scott Aukerman is on Jimmy Pardo! So weird!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »
may I recommend to you comedy bang bang aka "talkin' tang"

the episode last week (ft. "Larry the Loner") made me cry laughing in an alley on the way to work.  I made bubbles listen to that particular segment and he said he thought it was funny, but I think he was just being polite.

I popped it on after your reccomendo - listened to some more comedy bang bang after and enjoyed quite a bit.  Auckerman is pretty meh for me so the quality of the guest makes it good or bad.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2016, 03:36:33 PM »
i liked it, dlew. it made me laugh. i did get distracted from the bit because i have some questions for you about CBB.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
I agree that CBB is hit or miss and the episodes's quality really depends on the characters.

@bubbles.  i'll call you shortly and answer any questions you have.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
had a major "wtf" moment at the thought of bubbs asking dlew college basketball questions

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
had a major "wtf" moment at the thought of bubbs asking dlew college basketball questions

me too.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
Pardon my take. Thank me later
Thank you!