Author Topic: Official NBA Thread  (Read 157539 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official NBA Thread
« Reply #1525 on: July 06, 2019, 01:15:44 AM »
 :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »
:surprised:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 06, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »
Can’t wait to watch epic duo Rod M. and Kawhi L. run roughshod over the league next year.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 06, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
really is disappointing kawhi left. felt so right in toronto.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 08, 2019, 12:18:30 PM »
Looking like the Thunder will only have 4 players on their roster with 27 1st round picks over the next 8 years in a few days.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 31, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 07, 2019, 02:37:35 AM »
wow. china has the nba completely by the balls.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 07, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
wow. china has the nba completely by the balls.
Pretty great timing for the South Park episode last week
:adios:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 14, 2019, 10:56:20 PM »
it sounds like lebron james is true to the episode as well? i didn't watch it because it sounds like it's anti-china propaganda

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »
i think lebron tried to be a little too woke

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 15, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
I read it was pro-China propaganda.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: October 15, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
morey thinks he's woke. just more western people who think they know best for other countries without understanding everything :jerk:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 15, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »
The people protesting in Hong Kong probably just don't understand everything, too.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 15, 2019, 03:18:16 PM »
I don't quite understand why people are so upset with LeBron. Obviously a ridiculously unique situation but any CEO of a company who relies on China for as much revenue as the NBA does will take stances against statements like Morey's.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 15, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
I don't quite understand why people are so upset with LeBron. Obviously a ridiculously unique situation but any CEO of a company who relies on China for as much revenue as the NBA does will take stances against statements like Morey's.
I assume it’s because he has built a whole lot of his brand and persona on very public moral stands over the last few years. People are upset to find out that was more about making money than personal conviction.
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 15, 2019, 11:37:30 PM »
I assume it’s because he has built a whole lot of his brand and persona on very public moral stands over the last few years. People are upset to find out that was more about making money than personal conviction.

what should his public moral stand be in regards to HK and China that would satisfy folks? (even though most people mad at him also think he should shut up and dribble)

but all social justice causes are different. he probably has a better chance of influencing change for something like education or racial justice in the US than China//HK.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 16, 2019, 01:07:17 AM »
on a more positive note, the nba has some exciting rookies this year

zion of course
morant
tacko
herro
whoever the hell carsen edwards is just went crazy

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 16, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »

what should his public moral stand be in regards to HK and China that would satisfy folks? (even though most people mad at him also think he should shut up and dribble)

but all social justice causes are different. he probably has a better chance of influencing change for something like education or racial justice in the US than China//HK.

Either say nothing or support Hong Kong. Publicly supporting a communist dictatorship over the people who just don't want to live under that is a bad look.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 16, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
yeah I guess he could have said "no comment".

Still, the outrage and self righteousness feels fake and forced when our entire economy is completely intertwined and supports this "communist dictatorship". Whether or not it's right, we're all complicit.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 16, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
I think Lebron's stance seems far more fake. Unless he wants to go into detail about why he believes the people of Hong Kong are wrong to not want to be a part of China, he probably shouldn't criticize other people for supporting them.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/952902403422150657

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 16, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

I think Lebron's stance seems far more fake. Unless he wants to go into detail about why he believes the people of Hong Kong are wrong to not want to be a part of China, he probably shouldn't criticize other people for supporting them.

Did he say the people of Hong Kong were wrong? All I saw was he said that Morey (who quickly deleted his tweet) made a mistake?

Also I don't think people in HK are trying to no longer be a part of China, just have more autonomy. China participates in some mumped up crap to be sure but what they're doing with HK is pretty mild on the scale of evil.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 16, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »

Did he say the people of Hong Kong were wrong? All I saw was he said that Morey (who quickly deleted his tweet) made a mistake?

Also I don't think people in HK are trying to no longer be a part of China, just have more autonomy. China participates in some mumped up crap to be sure but what they're doing with HK is pretty mild on the scale of evil.

They are fine being in China as long as they don't have to live under Chinese authority. They don't want China to be able to extradite Hong Kong citizens, and they would like to be able to voice their opinion without fear of arrest. They also want to be able to have votes that count. I guess that's not the same as "not wanting to be part of China" but it's basically the same.

The tweet he criticized said "Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong." How is it possible to say that message is wrong without saying the people of Hong Kong are wrong?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »

They are fine being in China as long as they don't have to live under Chinese authority. They don't want China to be able to extradite Hong Kong citizens, and they would like to be able to voice their opinion without fear of arrest. They also want to be able to have votes that count. I guess that's not the same as "not wanting to be part of China" but it's basically the same.

The tweet he criticized said "Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong." How is it possible to say that message is wrong without saying the people of Hong Kong are wrong?

You can believe Morey didn't fully consider the implications when he made that tweet but still agree with the content. No doubt LeBron was sloppy but I don't think it diminishes his calls for human rights domestically and it shouldn't prevent him from speaking out on certain issues in the future.

Bill Simmons has a pretty balanced take on it.

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/10/16/20917014/lebrons-stumble-and-highest-nba-contender-ceilings-bill-simmons-podcast

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 16, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
I stand with Charmain Xi.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 16, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »
haven't been following the news, is the hong kong thing something dennis rodman can fix?