Author Topic: Answers to awkward social situations  (Read 31534 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Answers to awkward social situations
« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
not sure if I've shared this before, but I live on a lot that my landlord owns. My duplex is at the front of the lot and he lives in a house at the back of the lot. Every political season, he puts right wing (at least for California) signs in front of our house that we disagree with. I don't want people to think we support his views, but also we pay way less for rent than we should and are friendly with each other and I don't want to piss them off. Now the sign is actually one in favor of an anti-rent control measure. what do you do in this situation?

What effect would the rent control measure passing or failing have on your situation w/the landlord?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
Sue his ass.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2018, 12:34:48 AM »
not sure if I've shared this before, but I live on a lot that my landlord owns. My duplex is at the front of the lot and he lives in a house at the back of the lot. Every political season, he puts right wing (at least for California) signs in front of our house that we disagree with. I don't want people to think we support his views, but also we pay way less for rent than we should and are friendly with each other and I don't want to piss them off. Now the sign is actually one in favor of an anti-rent control measure. what do you do in this situation?

Steal the sign and find some way to dispose of it (probably too risky to put it in your house).  Repeat until election season is over.

The tricky part is whether you should call/text your landlord first and say "hey, that sign disappeared from our yard last night..." or whether you're going to go with the "oh, you know, I barely even noticed we had a sign there"

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »
Had a great awkward sitch yesterday. Soon-to-be Mrs BAC and I went out to dinner. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter, then you get your own drinks/silverware and sit wherever you want and they bring your food when it's ready.

So Mrs BAC is filling drinks and I grab silverware and get us a table outside. She didn't see i had grabbed silverware so she got it too. When she came outside and saw we were doubled up on silvy she looked over and noticed another couple sitting outside and they did not have any SW so she walked over and was like "hey we grabbed extra and I noticed you didn't have any, would you like these?" And then the guy says "we have one more person coming"

So Mrs BAC walks all the way back inside and grabs another set for them and I was just chuckling quietly to myself. I think I spent the majority of our time at dinner imagining different scenarios of how that interaction could have played out

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 28, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
I was at the DMV a few weeks ago and this place had 2 "sides", one for license stuff and one for plate stuff and each has their own take a number station. So being the first time I had been there I initially took one of each while I sat down figured out what was going on. After about 5 minutes the guy next to me notices he's been waiting with a number for the wrong side and goes and gets a new number for the correct side. When he sits back down I'm like hey bud I don't need the number for his side and gave it to him moving him up 1 spot in line. Then I asked if I could have his old number (the side I needed) so he gave it to me and it was 22 spots ahead of what I had. Saved me 2.5 hours of waiting.  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2018, 10:49:28 AM »
Had a great awkward sitch yesterday. Soon-to-be Mrs BAC and I went out to dinner. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter, then you get your own drinks/silverware and sit wherever you want and they bring your food when it's ready.

So Mrs BAC is filling drinks and I grab silverware and get us a table outside. She didn't see i had grabbed silverware so she got it too. When she came outside and saw we were doubled up on silvy she looked over and noticed another couple sitting outside and they did not have any SW so she walked over and was like "hey we grabbed extra and I noticed you didn't have any, would you like these?" And then the guy says "we have one more person coming"

So Mrs BAC walks all the way back inside and grabs another set for them and I was just chuckling quietly to myself. I think I spent the majority of our time at dinner imagining different scenarios of how that interaction could have played out

was this at howard's grocery, downtown kcmo?  were the decemberists there?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »
If say yes I feel like id be admitting that I follow 'lams around IRL hoping for social interaction...

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 28, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »
I was at the DMV a few weeks ago and this place had 2 "sides", one for license stuff and one for plate stuff and each has their own take a number station. So being the first time I had been there I initially took one of each while I sat down figured out what was going on. After about 5 minutes the guy next to me notices he's been waiting with a number for the wrong side and goes and gets a new number for the correct side. When he sits back down I'm like hey bud I don't need the number for his side and gave it to him moving him up 1 spot in line. Then I asked if I could have his old number (the side I needed) so he gave it to me and it was 22 spots ahead of what I had. Saved me 2.5 hours of waiting.  :thumbs:

Take it to the serendipitous social interactions thread

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »

That is delightful

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 28, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »

That is delightful
i wonder what they got to eat, hopefully some chipotle to honor kat kid

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 28, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Take it to the serendipitous social interactions thread

Man I love living in a small town sometimes.  Trips to the tag agency take about 10 minutes tops.  LOL at the concept of ever waiting in line for 2.5 hours.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 28, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
It was quicker than I thought!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2023, 05:18:24 PM »
so i've done well socially in my current city. people want to hang out. one dude in particular too much. in the 1.5 month i've known him he's pretty much asked to go out every weekend day and then every other day other than that. it's actually absurd that i keep giving flimsy excuse after another and he can't take the hint. i've been on the other side though of not feeling included and i feel bad, but i mean, i could take a hint. this feels like such a high school question to ask but it's driving me a little crazy. wtf do i do

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2023, 06:18:48 PM »
I think the most reasonable thing is just to outline how much you would like to hang out 1x on the weekend? Every other week?  And then just explain you have a lot of other things going on and you like hanging out, but hate saying no all the time.

The “here is how often I am available” needs to be specific though for that to work.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2023, 10:03:06 PM »
so i've done well socially in my current city. people want to hang out. one dude in particular too much. in the 1.5 month i've known him he's pretty much asked to go out every weekend day and then every other day other than that. it's actually absurd that i keep giving flimsy excuse after another and he can't take the hint. i've been on the other side though of not feeling included and i feel bad, but i mean, i could take a hint. this feels like such a high school question to ask but it's driving me a little crazy. wtf do i do

Next time you hang out with him just act like you do on the basketball board. He’ll back off, I promise

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2023, 10:03:37 PM »
 :D

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2023, 04:34:03 AM »
I think the most reasonable thing is just to outline how much you would like to hang out 1x on the weekend? Every other week?  And then just explain you have a lot of other things going on and you like hanging out, but hate saying no all the time.

The “here is how often I am available” needs to be specific though for that to work.

yea. that sounds like really good advice if someone is cool but a little overbearing. didn't really like his vibe from the beginning but seemed nice enough. he might be a crazy person now though. i imagine this is what women have to deal with, except they're just so used to ghosting dudes to not feel bad about it anymore.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
This does feel like a tiny taste of what women have to deal with 247365

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »

Next time you hang out with him just act like you do on the basketball board. He’ll back off, I promise

Another thing to do that might help is to get rid of that ugly obnoxious picture in your posts.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2023, 09:21:59 AM »
Maybe just be honest and be like "hey my guy, let's hang sometimes but i'll call you, i have a lot going on"

honesty is the best policy

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »
Wife and I have a lifelong friend who lost their dad a few months ago.

They are having his celebration of life at a small lake East of Tulsa.

When he passed, their mother kind of fell apart, she's probably got early dementia and sort of had a falling out with the daughters.

Friend asked us to drive the mom down because they were afraid of her telling them no...

Leaving today and set to drive half crazy mom.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2023, 09:30:12 AM »
Wife and I have a lifelong friend who lost their dad a few months ago.

They are having his celebration of life at a small lake East of Tulsa.

When he passed, their mother kind of fell apart, she's probably got early dementia and sort of had a falling out with the daughters.

Friend asked us to drive the mom down because they were afraid of her telling them no...

Leaving today and set to drive half crazy mom.
You are a good friend to do this. Hope that it goes as well as possible for you.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2023, 04:18:06 PM »
tell him that you want to be more than just friends

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2023, 07:08:07 PM »
 :lol:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.