Author Topic: "I Wish Somebody Would Have Told Me" Thread  (Read 8991 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: "I Wish Somebody Would Have Told Me" Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
If you go to the work of rehabing houses, just go get your GC license,  build your own house from scratch, pocket the "profit" from the loan, live in it a couple years, then sell it.  Seems like that wouldn't be much more work and would net you a bigger margin.
 You can do all that by just managing contractors as well.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
If you go to the work of rehabing houses, just go get your GC license,  build your own house from scratch, pocket the "profit" from the loan, live in it a couple years, then sell it.  Seems like that wouldn't be much more work and would net you a bigger margin.
 You can do all that by just managing contractors as well.

take it to asava's camping thread

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
silver lining is that out boy KSUWILDCATS! is going to be a real treasure in the dating thread.

that would be must read message boarding

We would have to put it in premium, and then all retire on the $$ from new memberships (or buy broken down dumps and start flipping houses).

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
silver lining is that out boy KSUWILDCATS! is going to be a real treasure in the dating thread.

that would be must read message boarding

We would have to put it in premium, and then all retire on the $$ from new memberships (or buy broken down dumps and start flipping houses).

speems is giving a free trial!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2014, 11:43:46 AM »
what if your wife reads this list and realizes that you cant BOTH number nine?!??!?

it's over bro.

silver lining is that our boy KSUWILDCATS! is going to be a real treasure in the dating thread.

That's one mistake I didn't make. As for my wife, she didn't have the benefit of this thread.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
K-S-U, did you realize that this is just a general advice thread but all 10 of your advices involved money?

Also, let me know if you need some help flipping houses, I've always wanted to do that. (My understanding is there are piles of money involved.)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Since K-S-U actually gave real advice (even if it was somewhat LOL) instead of witty sayings, I'll give mine:

I wish someone had encouraged me to do something more than what was safe and easy. No one encouraged me to look at colleges outside of the state of Kansas, study abroad, look at a major outside of engineering, take art classes, get active in professional clubs or really pursue anything I was passionate about. I mean, no one discouraged me from doing any of things, but no one brought it up as if any of those things were a good idea. And I guess i just wish someone would have done that. I mean, it all worked out, but it took a bit longer to find a comfortable place than it possibly could have.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »
never to read the pit

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Watch that show with the hot wife and good looking douchebag of a husband. It's a 30 minute how to video. PROFIT.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
Since K-S-U actually gave real advice (even if it was somewhat LOL) instead of witty sayings, I'll give mine:

I wish someone had encouraged me to do something more than what was safe and easy. No one encouraged me to look at colleges outside of the state of Kansas, study abroad, look at a major outside of engineering, take art classes, get active in professional clubs or really pursue anything I was passionate about. I mean, no one discouraged me from doing any of things, but no one brought it up as if any of those things were a good idea. And I guess i just wish someone would have done that. I mean, it all worked out, but it took a bit longer to find a comfortable place than it possibly could have.

I know what you mean. The general idea when you are young is to follow a set progression of events (College, degree, career, and marriage in there somewhere). It's only as you get older that you realize there are a million different variables and possibilities in there. I'm just lucky I didn't have kids in college or shortly after, because once that happens your exploration days are pretty much over.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »
Watch that show with the hot wife and good looking douchebag of a husband. It's a 30 minute how to video. PROFIT.

Dr. 90210?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »

yes to this

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
I'm just lucky I didn't have kids in college or shortly after, because once that happens your exploration days are pretty much over.

This isn't true. It definitely becomes harder to try new things and explore new places, but kids don't end your exploration days unless you allow them to.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
"do whatever you want"

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
I'm just lucky I didn't have kids in college or shortly after, because once that happens your exploration days are pretty much over.

This isn't true. It definitely becomes harder to try new things and explore new places, but kids don't end your exploration days unless you allow them to.

I knew a parent would get on me for that. I didn't mean you can't have a fun life and do things you want, just you can't take risks that may or may not have monetary consequences as much, because you need to feed your kids and stuff.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »

Dr. 90210?
I have never seen Dr. 90210, but I'll bet that is funny!
Flip or Flop is what I was referring to.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
go to more cool indie weekday concerts before you have a kid. I wish someone would have told me that and more importantly forced me to do it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »

I knew a parent would get on me for that. I didn't mean you can't have a fun life and do things you want, just you can't take risks that may or may not have monetary consequences as much, because you need to feed your kids and stuff.

Well yeah but that's not what you said.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
I cringe at the suggestion that once you have kids you have to be white bread boring settle for whatever and not try anything new. That's not true at all.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
I cringe at the suggestion that once you have kids you have to be white bread boring settle for whatever and not try anything new. That's not true at all.

really?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:02 PM »
I refuse to accept that "settle" is anything but a choice. It is never the only option.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

really?

really.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »

Well yeah but that's not what you said.

That's what I meant by exploration

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »
go to more cool indie weekday concerts before you have a kid. I wish someone would have told me that and more importantly forced me to do it.

there are some awful bands playing on a weeknight.  But some good ones also

Offline Branson Bound

• Good Christian Fan
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »
1. College is expensive and student loans suck. So avoid taking out loans for an undergrad education (work a part time job) and try to have a pretty good idea of what career you want by your sophomore year.

2. If you're not going to grad school, make sure you're getting a degree in something useful that will actually land you a good paying job.

3. Work to live. Don't live to work. It's ok to work a boring job as long as you make a lot of money doing it. Money doesn't buy happiness per se, but sure makes it easier.

4. Invest a lot, and early.

5. Travel a lot. Study abroad in college and do it in a foreign language country and don't waste all your time there hanging out with your American friends.

6. Don't buy a new car.

7. Don't build or buy a new house unless it's the dream home you plan to die in. The depreciation is even worse than buying a new car.

8. Don't buy lots of stupid crap or develop expensive habits like drinking, smoking, drugs, golf, etc.

9. Get married, and choose someone who's better than you (preferably wealthier too, but at least a better person).

10. Don't listen to all the dumbshit advice about using CCs to rack up points or cash back. You'll end up spending and wasting a lot more money than those points are worth. One major exception to this rule is if you travel for work and are being reimbursed - then use your CCs as much as possible to rack up those points.

I guess. Serious question are you a robot?
GET WELL SOON RANDY!