Author Topic: "I Wish Somebody Would Have Told Me" Thread  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "I Wish Somebody Would Have Told Me" Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
Don't get a credit card before you graduate college and have a good paying job.

Why would you wish someone told you that? It's horrible advice.

Because I sucked at having a credit card. For must people I'm sure it's fine.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 01:01:01 AM »
always wipe back to front, not the other way around

CONTROVERSY

Controversy denied. Back to front is the only real option.

Unless you're a woman.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2014, 01:02:09 AM »
If the truth hurts, it should.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
1. College is expensive and student loans suck. So avoid taking out loans for an undergrad education (work a part time job) and try to have a pretty good idea of what career you want by your sophomore year.

2. If you're not going to grad school, make sure you're getting a degree in something useful that will actually land you a good paying job.

3. Work to live. Don't live to work. It's ok to work a boring job as long as you make a lot of money doing it. Money doesn't buy happiness per se, but sure makes it easier.

4. Invest a lot, and early.

5. Travel a lot. Study abroad in college and do it in a foreign language country and don't waste all your time there hanging out with your American friends.

6. Don't buy a new car.

7. Don't build or buy a new house unless it's the dream home you plan to die in. The depreciation is even worse than buying a new car.

8. Don't buy lots of stupid crap or develop expensive habits like drinking, smoking, drugs, golf, etc.

9. Get married, and choose someone who's better than you (preferably wealthier too, but at least a better person).

10. Don't listen to all the dumbshit advice about using CCs to rack up points or cash back. You'll end up spending and wasting a lot more money than those points are worth. One major exception to this rule is if you travel for work and are being reimbursed - then use your CCs as much as possible to rack up those points.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
^noted fun hater
:adios:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
#7 could not be more wrong.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
KSUW and I could not be more opposite. Other than travel a lot which we both think is awesome.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
1. College is expensive and student loans suck. So avoid taking out loans for an undergrad education (work a part time job) and try to have a pretty good idea of what career you want by your sophomore year.

2. If you're not going to grad school, make sure you're getting a degree in something useful that will actually land you a good paying job.

3. Work to live. Don't live to work. It's ok to work a boring job as long as you make a lot of money doing it. Money doesn't buy happiness per se, but sure makes it easier.

4. Invest a lot, and early.

5. Travel a lot. Study abroad in college and do it in a foreign language country and don't waste all your time there hanging out with your American friends.

6. Don't buy a new car.

7. Don't build or buy a new house unless it's the dream home you plan to die in. The depreciation is even worse than buying a new car.

8. Don't buy lots of stupid crap or develop expensive habits like drinking, smoking, drugs, golf, etc.

9. Get married, and choose someone who's better than you (preferably wealthier too, but at least a better person).

10. Don't listen to all the dumbshit advice about using CCs to rack up points or cash back. You'll end up spending and wasting a lot more money than those points are worth. One major exception to this rule is if you travel for work and are being reimbursed - then use your CCs as much as possible to rack up those points.

1) Take out lots of loans for college. That way you can party much harder in college cuz you won't need a job.

2) Yeah, this one is prolly a good idea

3) Pretty obvious

4) Sure

5) Not everyone can afford to travel a lot but if you can, sure go for it. Do what you want when you're there.

6) Do what you want.

7) Do what you want.

8) Develop every single one of those habits at some point in your life. Prolly don't do hard drugs for too long though. I don't smoke, but if you want to, go for it. It's kinda fun, especially when you drink.

9) Get married if you want. There's no reason to stay in a bad marriage though. That just sucks for everyone.

10) I don't really know much about this, but the gE elites seem to like it so it's probably a good idea.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
agree with k-s-u on most of these (or mostly agree on all).  think #1 is more complex than he indicates, both in execution and concept, but agree with the sentiment.  think #8 is superseded by #3 for many people, but people should balance.  #10 is good advice for spendthrifts, bad advice for the thrifty.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
#7 is completely dependant on where the house is located.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
I wish someone would've told me in 1988 when I became a Royals fan that all their good years were behind them and I'd be disappointed.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »

Where is it cheaper to build a new home than buy a preexisting home with the same location, fit and finish?

I've bought and sold several homes in several parts of KS and MO. I always start with a certain desirable location/neighborhood in mind, then narrow it down to homes that meet the basic criteria that are hard to change (size, rooms, potential curb appeal, etc.) but have sat on the market because they are outdated. I then perform full remodels that make them better than most comparable new houses, and it's still cheaper than if I had built. And I don't even do much of the work myself. I just hire good contractors at good prices, and factor that expense into what I offer for the house.

I know the homes are significantly cheaper, even after the remodeling, than new construction because I've researched the market and I've toured the new builds. And with the remodeling, I still get to pick my cabinets, counters, carpets, etc.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
Be aware of the time of the month, when muff diving.  :party:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »

Katdaddy! no!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »

:nono:  No TV for two weeks.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2014, 01:01:47 AM »

Where is it cheaper to build a new home than buy a preexisting home with the same location, fit and finish?

I've bought and sold several homes in several parts of KS and MO. I always start with a certain desirable location/neighborhood in mind, then narrow it down to homes that meet the basic criteria that are hard to change (size, rooms, potential curb appeal, etc.) but have sat on the market because they are outdated. I then perform full remodels that make them better than most comparable new houses, and it's still cheaper than if I had built. And I don't even do much of the work myself. I just hire good contractors at good prices, and factor that expense into what I offer for the house.

I know the homes are significantly cheaper, even after the remodeling, than new construction because I've researched the market and I've toured the new builds. And with the remodeling, I still get to pick my cabinets, counters, carpets, etc.

You should think larger.  My uncle made a fortune by first building new on raw real-estate and then developing neighborhoods around his home. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:28:32 AM by Bloodfart »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2014, 07:26:43 AM »

That sounds like a lot of work. if you enjoy doing it then that's great. I would not. I want to tell some guy exactly what I want and he builds it for me where I tell him to build it for me. I just sold a house that I bought new for more than I bought it for 8 years ago. Your original statement about it depreciating worse than a car is very lol (though I don't think you meant what you said).

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »

That sounds like a lot of work. if you enjoy doing it then that's great. I would not. I want to tell some guy exactly what I want and he builds it for me where I tell him to build it for me. I just sold a house that I bought new for more than I bought it for 8 years ago. Your original statement about it depreciating worse than a car is very lol (though I don't think you meant what you said).

It's not that much work, but it's fun work if you like houses. Anyway, hard work = money.

I also need to qualify my earlier statement again. I realize that if you build a new home and hold it long enough, you'll sell it for a higher price in the right market conditions. But that new home will have also cost you plenty in taxes, interest, and insurance. I was simply trying to point out that you'll do much financially to follow my approach. I have actually sold a couple of past houses for higher than my purchase price plus my remodeling, tax, interest, and insurance, meaning I lived for free and made a profit. There is an undeniable expense in building a new house, and it is purely for the intangible. "Benefit" of getting exactly what you want (theoretically).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
i realize you're just trying to dig yourself out of the depreciation hole you dug yourself but just admit you're wrong and move on, prob the easiest way because it's just getting worse.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:59 AM »

It's not that much work, but it's fun work if you like houses. Anyway, hard work = money.

I also need to qualify my earlier statement again. I realize that if you build a new home and hold it long enough, you'll sell it for a higher price in the right market conditions. But that new home will have also cost you plenty in taxes, interest, and insurance. I was simply trying to point out that you'll do much financially to follow my approach. I have actually sold a couple of past houses for higher than my purchase price plus my remodeling, tax, interest, and insurance, meaning I lived for free and made a profit. There is an undeniable expense in building a new house, and it is purely for the intangible. "Benefit" of getting exactly what you want (theoretically).

yeah, I guess I see benefit in getting what I want. have you ever made a decision in your life that wasn't 100% financially driven? I mean, when you made your point about getting married it was based around finances. it just seems like a sad way to live. but I guess if that's what makes you happy then it's not!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
hey don't forget about that undeniable expense that goes along with building a house.  some people call it the cost of the house.  every month for 15 years, time to write the check for the undeniable expense.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
Guess what, it is better financially to buy a vacant lot, or better yet, squat on it for 7 years or whatever and then claim it as your own. Then, take scrap wood from other job sites and build a really nice house (never mind the hours of labor and lost opportunity cost associated) and then sell that house than it is to buy a new house.

No crap, if you buy a fixer upper, then invest the time and energy in fixing it up, you will almost always come out ahead vs. buying a new house.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
No crap, if you buy a fixer upper, then invest the time and energy in fixing it up, you will almost always come out ahead vs. buying a new house.

Ok good. As long as we've got that straight.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
what if your wife reads this list and realizes that you cant BOTH number nine?!??!?

it's over bro.

silver lining is that our boy KSUWILDCATS! is going to be a real treasure in the dating thread.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:09:28 AM by puniraptor »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »
silver lining is that out boy KSUWILDCATS! is going to be a real treasure in the dating thread.

that would be must read message boarding