Author Topic: Lawn Care  (Read 111656 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn Care
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
so ipa's trees and his neighbors trees are hanging out a few nights ago when one of the neighbor trees says "well back when i was in the greenhouse, we didn't have all this fancy..." but then ipa's tree cut him off and said "bradford please stop. i can't pear to hear another one of your stupid greehouse stories".

:lol:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:03:36 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
:lol:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Is the entire side yard covered with rock?

Guise... I need help.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
I've never understood the concrete two track.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
C2W, that is an old pic, right, or do you live somewhere colder than ks? 

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
i used the long metal tool thing to turn my sprinkler water back on the other day.  :gocho:
This is all I am willing to do anymore. The rest is being taken care of by professionals.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
so then the second bradford pear says to the third bradford pear "pampass grass, huh? more like pompous ass if you ask me. those four idiots over there won't shut up about how they're too good for this cold weather and about how ipa thinks they are so special because of the border they provide and how they have to get manicured every single year. give me a break if you ask me about those idiots.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
im not a lawn guy but having read through this thread at a visceral distance, the answer, it appears, as it is with most things, is the more chemicals, the better

and water. lots of water. I do the bare minimum to not be "that guy" in my neighborhood and have the bad yard. ten minutes per zone every other day in the summer if no rain. crabgrass preventer and then later spot spray. not that tough but still annoying.

40 minutes once per week is MUCH better than 10 minutes every other day.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
The concrete two tracks are great for limiting run off.

When I said feed alot, I meant that you feed small amounts several times. Probably half rates of the recommended fertilizer rate.

sd: water the sod every other day for probably 10 days. Then spread it out to every 3rd or 4th day for a couple of weeks. The goal is to water deeper than the roots and allow the soil to start to dry out before watering again. This is to encourage root growth, but do not make a pond in your yard, because that will not encourage root growth.

Everyone needs to know how to make fertilizer calculations. If you by a 26-4-6 fertilizer, that means that 26% of the fertilizer is nitrogen, 4% is phosphorous, 6% is potassium. You shouldn't use more than about 3.5-4 lbs of Nitrgoen per 1,000 sq ft per year. Anything else is wasting and bad for the environment. If you want an example on the calculation, ask mocat or get a KSU degree, it isn't that difficult. (Really, I can walk you through it if necessary. You may want to know that there are 43,560 sq ft/acre if you are a farm kid and want to figure this crap out on a farming scale.)

The zoo was great. I love the rhinos and giraffes, and the grizzly picked his head up and looked at me as if to say...mehhh. Also, there was a baby gorilla and a baby baboon. If I had brought the good camera, they would be great photos for the monkey thread!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
slightly OT, but anyone have good advice on ridding my tree and bush of a bagworm infestation.  Lost one bush already from it last fall, and know I need to do something here quick to address it going forward

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
Sevin will take care of them. Read your local KSU Ext Agent info on when to spray.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »
Thanks for the good info today guys especially dobber. Solid.

Offline Hoibergs Horrible Heart

• Fan
  • ugh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
It's not worth the stress.  Sometimes, there's just no use in trying to fight nature...

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
Dobber can you please comment on my plan.  I was hoping for some feedback because I just kind of made it up.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
dobber, several questions.

1)  i have this big bag of 15:15:15 and an urge to put it everywhere (nonlawn, other plant question).  is there anything that won't like it?
2)  i have white clover in my lawn and want to keep and encourage it.  anything i can use to kill other crap that will leave the clover alone?
3)  my entire property is infested with more earwigs than anyone would believe possible.  any good way to kill them that won't render my edible plants inedible?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »

1)  i have this big bag of 15:15:15 and an urge to put it everywhere (nonlawn, other plant question).  is there anything that won't like it?
2)  i have white clover in my lawn and want to keep and encourage it.  anything i can use to kill other crap that will leave the clover alone?
3)  my entire property is infested with more earwigs than anyone would believe possible.  any good way to kill them that won't render my edible plants inedible?

3:   http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/earwigs-c-147.html

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
3:   http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/earwigs-c-147.html

that's a great list of stuff that kills insects, but it doesn't provide any information about how they measure on the two criteria i specified - good way to kill lots of earwigs and safe for vertebrates to eat.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:40 PM »
Nope.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »
I witnessed my new neighbor crawl on his hands and knees for 4 hours and dig every single dandelion out of his front yard by the root.

He put them in a 5 gal bucket so maybe he will eat them?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
one dandelion housewarming salad coming up

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2014, 05:42:36 AM »
I witnessed my new neighbor crawl on his hands and knees for 4 hours and dig every single dandelion out of his front yard by the root.

He put them in a 5 gal bucket so maybe he will eat them?
That's a lot of useless work if the neighbors have dandelions.

I don't obsess with the weed control because neighbors to the north and west have dandelion farms. One weed n feed application and spot treat along the drive and street a couple of times.

I refuse to live in hoa neighborhood again but do miss the lawn policy. You knew you weren't wasting money on the chemicals. Took less too because the neighbors were controlling their weeds too.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
My lawn is terrible.  It makes me feel frustrated.  I want to have a nice lawn but right now it is full of weeds and dandelions and lots of those little purple flowers and different types of grasses.  What can I do to fix it really quickly with minimal effort.  Fertilizer?  Weed killer? Weed AND feed?  Over seed?  Can someone tell me what do to in the spring (now), then in the summer, and then in the fall?  Make like a chart that tells me what to do in each season.

Also I know some people will say to just pay someone or whatever because ksu and being rich but I really want to do it myself.
Put out some crabrass preventer and if you can get a liquid 2,4-D product go out and handspray all of those broadleaves. I think there is a JDL (John Deere Landscape) store in KC, buy the stuff that you can there. Granular broadleaf weedkillers are okay, but they don't do as good of a job as a liquid. If you can find something with 2,4-D and Dicamba (or salt of Dicamba) in it, that will do the best on your broadleaf weeds that are present. I would not spot spray if your yard is in really bad shape. Spray the whole thing to make certain you are killing all of the broadleaves now. Then spot spray throughout the remainder of the spring and summer.
Get the Crabgrass preventer out now (TODAY!) and then spray the broadleaf weed stuff in a week or two. Fertilize in bewteen the two (or today if you want). (I don't know how big your lawn is and how much time you are going to have.) You will not have a great yard today, but you should try to get the grass you have to grow healthy now and you should start killing weeds ASAP rather than just let crap go for another 4 or 5 months.
That should be a great start. Do not expect a perfect yard this year. Unless you are willing to kill it all, prepare the soil, and lay some sod, that just isn't going to happen.
This fall you can aerate and overseed. (or verticut, which has been mentioned several times)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »

1)  i have this big bag of 15:15:15 and an urge to put it everywhere (nonlawn, other plant question).  is there anything that won't like it? PROBABLY SOMETHING WON'T LIKE IT- I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ALL HAVE! YOU SHOULD BE FINE. JUST DON'T POUR IT OUT AT AN INSANE RATE. IT IS JUST FERTILIZER (NUTRIENTS FOUND IN THE SOIL).
2)  i have white clover in my lawn and want to keep and encourage it.  anything i can use to kill other crap that will leave the clover alone? WHAT?!?!?!?!? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS!!!!!  :runaway: (SINCE KC IS KIND OF ON THE N. EDGE OF THE TRANSITION ZONE, YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING IN THE STORE THAT WILL KILL POA (fescue), JUST MAKE CERTAIN IT DOESN'T KILL ANY BROADLEAVES (READ THE LABEL AND SEE IF IT CONTROLS DANDELIONS, IF IT DOES, IT WILL ALSO KILL YOUR WHITE CLOVER) (ARE YOU AN APIARIST?)
3)  my entire property is infested with more earwigs than anyone would believe possible.  any good way to kill them that won't render my edible plants inedible? SEVIN GRANULES or LIQUID SEVIN AROUND YOUR FOUNDATION. PROBABLY MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION. SEVIN IS REGESTERED TO USE ON MOST FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, WHICH IS WHY I RECOMMENDED IT FOR YOU. LOTS OF PRODUCTS CONTROL EARWIGS.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS!