Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 361753 times)

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That was so incredibly bad.  I don't even know where to start.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I’ve had time to think about it and it rough ridin' sucked and I hated it.  Looking back at the entire season in full, it kinda sucked too.  What a shitty way to end something that was so good.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I watched the whole show in about 2 months.  I get there are circumstances with the books not being done & GRRM's writing style to not outline everything out then write the dialogue.   

However, watching the show that fast, spending so much time dragging out Ramsay Bolton, Joffrey & Arya in Bravos then rushing the end is rough.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Weep like a baby the entire epilogue, but this hit me the most. I'm glad Jon ended up free.

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

However, watching the show that fast, spending so much time dragging out Ramsay Bolton, Joffrey & Arya in Bravos then rushing the end is rough.

Yes this is worth noting when judging the merit of the writers. Also I think I read Ramsey is not even in the books? Pretty messed up.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes this is worth noting when judging the merit of the writers. Also I think I read Ramsey is not even in the books? Pretty messed up.

Oh, he's in the books.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Must have gotten that mixed up with someone else. But I guess the books did not actually depict the torture of Theon like the show did.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Rome getting cancelled?  YOU'RE CANCELLED HBO!

the original sin.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Must have gotten that mixed up with someone else. But I guess the books did not actually depict the torture of Theon like the show did.

They described them after the fact. It wasn't as graphic in the books.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Rome getting cancelled?  YOU'RE CANCELLED HBO!

the original sin.

Many people don't talk about it, but it was/is really terrible.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
No one watched it until years after it was canceled and hbogo became a thing.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
final season was so so so so so so so so so so rushed

but aside from everything about being so incredibly unbelievably rushed, it was good.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When LOST first ended I didn't care for the finale.  It was fine but I had hoped all my questions would be answered.  But then I realized, it wasn't about the mysteries anymore, it was about the people.  I hope this can be of some help to my grieving GoT friends.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:07:36 PM by _33 »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I still don't get the point of the night king

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm coming around to most of the way the series ended. The half-assed disposal of the White Walker / 3ER / Jon storyline will always be unforgivable. But at least the final episode did give Bran and Jon a purpose. The Bran selection by committee thing was a bit bizarre and rushed, but it at least made Bran something other than a plot device to show flashbacks. Likewise, Jon's arc received a meaningful end - his final act with Dany and Drogon was terrific - and his final disposition was satisfying (but why is there still a Night's Watch?!)

Dany was resolved in the best way possible, all things considered. Brienne's bit with the book was touching and another good resolution. The final small council meeting was a perfect farewell to those characters.

I'm even coming around on Jamie and Cersei. I wanted something more dramatic, but there was a poetic justice in Cersei's end. And Jamie's end makes his arc all the more tragic and compelling. Even as he evolved to see Cersei for who she really was, he couldn't stop loving her and trying to protect her. That's why he rode north - not to abandon her but to protect her - and that's why he returned south.

Even Sansa and Arya were not completely insufferable in the finale.

Agree this all would have come together a bit better, especially Dany's abrupt transformation and the final committee, had it all not been so rushed.

Questions...

Who wrote the book Sam presents at the end, and how the hell could Tyrion not even be mentioned? I get that it's supposed to be funny, but the dude was Jeoffrey's hand, then convicted of murdering Jeoffrey, then murdered Tywin Lannister, then became the Mad Queen's hand... how is it even possible that he wouldn't be mentioned?

What are Jon and Tormund doing at the very end? Going AWOL with the Free Folk, or just resettling them? And is that green sprig in the snow plus the FF headed north supposed to mean that spring has arrived? It doesn't look like Jon's aged a day so I guess it wasn't a long winter after all?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I still don't get the point of the night king

Apparently neither do the writers. He was the Ice Zombie Level Boss. Arya leveled up and killed him with super jump and super stealth powers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I took the sprig as "a dream of spring" and that perhaps spring will reach beyond the wall now that the night king is dead.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't get why everyone thinks Dany turned so fast.  Her default has been to be brutal since the beginning, but often talked out of it.  I pretty successfully muted everything related to the show & unfollowed a lot of people before the season started.  It wasn't until today I see a bunch of people mad about her "twist".  It seemed like what she's always wanted to do and became more independent to do what she wanted as the series moved on.  When her interpreter said the command to burn just before getting behead I knew she was burning everything down and tearing down the houses.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I didn’t watch the last 3 episodes, and at this point I don’t know if I will. The 6th season largely sucked too and people gave it a pass mostly.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't get why everyone thinks Dany turned so fast.  Her default has been to be brutal since the beginning, but often talked out of it.  I pretty successfully muted everything related to the show & unfollowed a lot of people before the season started.  It wasn't until today I see a bunch of people mad about her "twist".  It seemed like what she's always wanted to do and became more independent to do what she wanted as the series moved on.  When her interpreter said the command to burn just before getting behead I knew she was burning everything down and tearing down the houses.

I liked that they actually had a long discussion about this very topic between Jon and Tyrion in the final epi. But I’m dubious of the argument that “she’s killed people before so napalming an entire of city of civilians after they had already surrendered is not a surprise.” It would have made more sense to provide at least a little more foundation for her flip, and it would have been so easy to do. Like maybe the city surrenders and then somebody kills her second dragon (instead of the stupid Euron bit).

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The whole burning of the city was so contrived.   It left zero drama on what to do with a queen going mad, they could have had a fantastic story line just on that alone. 

Cersi and Jaime ending was nonsensical, the Lannisters in exile, another great story line.

Yeah, I know it can't go on forever. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The shot of drogon taking off behind dan was awesome, albeit really on the nose

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:21:41 AM by mocat »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I liked that they actually had a long discussion about this very topic between Jon and Tyrion in the final epi. But I’m dubious of the argument that “she’s killed people before so napalming an entire of city of civilians after they had already surrendered is not a surprise.” It would have made more sense to provide at least a little more foundation for her flip, and it would have been so easy to do. Like maybe the city surrenders and then somebody kills her second dragon (instead of the stupid Euron bit).

I think the beheading Missandie and Missandie saying "dracarys" as her last words was the tipping point.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
What I loved most about this show is it helped me step away from social media a bit. Whether people are banging their chest about not watching the show, bitching because it didn't turn out the way they wanted it turn out, etc. It's just a giant cesspool of whiny snowflakes these days. Woof city!

That being said, it was fine. My moment that nobody talks about that made me sad is when they didn't put Tyrian in that book.  :cry:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I took that as a joke, my good friend wackycat08