Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 364338 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sam and Jon. Sam making some pretty good points. Is a fight between Jon and Dany brewing?

Tormund and Ed “I’ve always had blue eyes!” :lol: Damn feel bad for the Umber kid.

Jamie and Creepy Bran. One look says it all. Well, metaphorically. That’s the same look Bran gives everyone now.

Damn - aside for Our Lady of Perpetual Dumbassery, what an episode! Season 8 starts strong!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not much to say about Epi 2. Great payoffs all around. Terrific. The Gendry / Arya thing was a little creepy.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
pretty enjoyable reviews

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
although i'm somewhat surprised that as the hoots & dongs wind down, the hate ratchets up

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sigh. What the hell. I guess Tyrion devises this battle plan. You start by charging your entire, unarmored cavalry right up the gut of a far superior mess (of zombies)?! You set you catapults up in front if your infantry, and then barely use them?! You put your infantry in front of the trench?! It’s like they deliberately did everything bassackwards. At least the phalanx is doing its job. Now would be a great time to send in your cavalry from the sides. Oops.

Once the castle is overrun, things get pretty great. Wow did not see the crypt coming. No Ned, tho.

Not sure how I feel about Arya and the Night King yet. I’m not pissed like I expected to be. But it doesn’t seem right. Great episode. Maybe one of the best, but that ending. I don’t know.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think my disappointment is not with who killed NK - terribly implausible but not terrible per se - it’s more that this end makes the White Walker’s so meaningless. The entire series, the theme has been that the GOT is irrelevant petty squabbling and the real battle is between the living and the dead. This episode turns that on its head. The NK is reduced to an ice zombie level boss, and the final bad guys are Cersei, the Golden Company, and Urien Greyjoy?!

All the possibilities of the WW and NK having some deeper significance were snuffed out. Why is he marching south? To kill people and the 3ER. Why’s he want to kill the 3ER? Because he wants “to snuff out our memories.” Okkkk. What’s the deal with the spirals? That just means “die.” Any connection with the Weirwoods? Nah, they’re just trees with creepy faces carved into them. How’s the 3ER going to play into all this? He’s gonna sit beneath a tree as bait and warg into some ravens for some reason. What role will Meera and Howland Reed play? Next question.

So while I really enjoyed much of the battle - after the horrific battle plan collapsed - it all feels like a huge lazy waste of storytelling. This doesn’t bode well for the books if GRRM couldn’t give these guys anything better than this.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Episode 4....

These clowns may not be able to plan a battle for crap, but they can arrange and construct a formation of funeral pyres with military precision.

Let’s party. But first, what is the chain and circle thing Stupid Sansa is always wearing? Is she trying to pull of a Maester look. Is this like the GOT equivalent of Rick Perry or Alexandria Occasional Cortex wearing glasses to look smart?

The Hound is so great. He should have been the one to kill the NK while we’re at it, because why the eff not at this point? Same for Tormund.

Would it really be so bad for Dany to be Jon’s queen and sit next to the iron throne? Why does she want it so badly anyway? Really Dany, at this point you’re just being a pill.

Drunk Breanne is more fun. Just ask Jamie. :woot:

Wait, first Sansa is pissed to be wasting all of Winterfell’s stores on armies - now she wants to keep them here? SMDH Stupid Sansa.

Wait, Bron is going to go on “the word” of two people on the other end of his crossbow? After already telling them that Cersei’s the losing side? That was a disappointingly dumb exchange.

Seems like a lot of final-ish farewells going on here. Tormund. Ghost. Sam. Surely not Jamie and Breanne?

Urien welcomes Dany back to Dragonstone. Did not see that coming. Neither did they. Dany’s got a serious problem now, and Jon’s looking like a better and better option. Not just to Varys.

Come on Jamie. Really? Really? Ugh.

Tyrion is back to being great again. So if you’re Missandeh, you jump and take your chances right?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Jon's such a rough ridin' dumbass

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

So uh you have to swear not to tell anyone that I’m uh the last living Targaryen male. Ok thx bye.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

So uh you have to swear not to tell anyone that I’m uh the last living Targaryen male. Ok thx bye.

Jon has always been honest/honorable to a literal and exemplified fault. He learned that from Ned.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
pretty enjoyable reviews
I like that I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand #metoo

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
pretty enjoyable reviews

He has no clue.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
The forced power balancing is getting a little old. Enjoyed the first half a lot but the second was not good
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
the spear through the dragon's neck was a little bit too much "Rated R for Violence" for my taste

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
The whole story is about the Stark family. Everyone and everything else are secondary or tools to tell their story. This has been my belief for awhile and it has only strengthened over time.

I saw a pretty good fan theory out there last night that I can definitely get behind. I don’t remember all the details (and these theories always get too detailed anyway), but the main takeaway is in line with the beginning of my post.

Three key elements from the show:

1. In Tywin and Arya’s great conversations about the Targaryens’ initial takeover Tywin mentions the Targaryen guy and his dragons Arya tells him basically “It wasn’t just bro Targaryen, it was also his sisters.

2. It’s been repeated a few times, most notably to me recently at Winterfell between Arya and Sansa, “The lone wolf dies, the pack survives.”

Jon doesn’t realize I don’t think, but he’s a bit of a lone wolf at this point. Dany is for him, but she’s really for herself in a very one-dimensional way. The Starks are 100% for each other. And throughout the show Jon has REALLY sprung into action whenever a Stark is in danger.

3. I could be mistaken, but I believe it’s likely that Jon will make his way to Dragon Stone and as a true Targaryen king may likely somehow reanimate the stone Dragons there. I wouldn’t rule out Jon, Arya and Sansa all riding dragons together. This may not happen exactly but I think it is likely to play a role.

I do think Dany will either turn on Jon, the people, or just go mad.

How will it end up? I dunno.

It also goes along with the thinking that #FAMILY isn’t just who you are given, what you are born into, but what you make it. Tyrion could and also is a big part of this too as he’s proven to be a good human and kind of part of the family due to kinda marriage to Sansa. He also treats her with a ton of dignity.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:46:17 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
why wouldn't cersai have one of those huge arrow guns shoot tyrion?  she absolutely would have, if this were irl

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I just think it's amazing that Cersei is the first ruler to figure out how to kill a dragon. Nobody else ever thought to shoot them with a ballista.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
why wouldn't cersai have one of those huge arrow guns shoot tyrion?  she absolutely would have, if this were irl

Pretty sure that’s a war code thing for them. They always ride out and meet each other for diplomacy or whatever. Not saying Cersei wouldn’t break that rule too tho.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
pretty enjoyable reviews

He has no clue.

There's a difference between what it was and what it's become. /pitout. You all know what I'm talking about.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The whole story is about the Stark family. Everyone and everything else are secondary or tools to tell their story. This has been my belief for awhile and it has only strengthened over time.

You could be right with respect to the show. If the show runners decided to go in that direction, there's nothing to be done about that. But it's very clear from the books that the title of the series - a Song of Ice and Fire - is referring to two overarching themes: it's a story of the battle between the White Walkers (Others) and Living, and it's a story of Jon (and maybe Meera) - the product of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targ). Seeing as how the books may never be finished (by GRRM), I was hoping the show would stay true to these themes, but it decided to put more emphasis on the Game of Thrones instead.

I don't know what the real significance of the White Walkers should have been, but it should have been something more than "ice zombies to be killed before a final confrontation with Cersei." What a waste. The Battle of Winterfell should have been a defeat for the Living while revealing the deeper significance of, and connection between, the NK and 3ER and the Weirwoods (something better than "he wants to wipe out our memories" - man that was stupid). The remnants of the Targ armies should have retreated to Kings Landing for the final three-way showdown between Cersei, Targ, and the NK. That would have been epic.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

You could be right with respect to the show. If the show runners decided to go in that direction, there's nothing to be done about that. But it's very clear from the books that the title of the series - a Song of Ice and Fire - is referring to two overarching themes: it's a story of the battle between the White Walkers (Others) and Living, and it's a story of Jon (and maybe Meera) - the product of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targ). Seeing as how the books may never be finished (by GRRM), I was hoping the show would stay true to these themes, but it decided to put more emphasis on the Game of Thrones instead.

I don't know what the real significance of the White Walkers should have been, but it should have been something more than "ice zombies to be killed before a final confrontation with Cersei." What a waste. The Battle of Winterfell should have been a defeat for the Living while revealing the deeper significance of, and connection between, the NK and 3ER and the Weirwoods (something better than "he wants to wipe out our memories" - man that was stupid). The remnants of the Targ armies should have retreated to Kings Landing for the final three-way showdown between Cersei, Targ, and the NK. That would have been epic.

Yeah, why can't showrunners make everything in the show exactly the way I pretended it to be in my head?  Idiot showrunners!  What is the deal with these showrunners anyway?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
You notice he's still holding on to his stupid "meera is Jon's double secret twin" theory
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Add me to the list who thought Meera should have had a larger part in this show. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
missandei yelling out dracarys was weird to me

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
missandei yelling out dracarys was weird to me
I took it as fairly lame foreshadowing.