Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 371030 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
i enjoyed it.  i mean, his father sentenced him to die for something that he knew he didn't do, and then he was screwing around with the woman that he loved.  i enjoyed the irony of tywin being on a "throne" while he died. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Was Shae a scheme the whole time?

I don't think that's clear yet.

"As to precisely what happened here, that’s something I don’t really want to talk about because there’s still aspects of it I haven’t revealed that will be revealed in later books." - GRRM

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I thought it was pretty well done - using the same crossbow that killed Roz (I know she doesn't exist in the books, but it worked).

Tywin did say something that got overlooked though -- something to the effect of: "You are my son, I wasn't going to let them take your head".  I wanted to see what the plan had been, but whatever.

Also, Varys is a master at the game.  One step closer to getting a Targaryan back on the throne, now with a weak king and the Lannisters crippled.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I thought it was pretty well done - using the same crossbow that killed Roz (I know she doesn't exist in the books, but it worked).

Tywin did say something that got overlooked though -- something to the effect of: "You are my son, I wasn't going to let them take your head".  I wanted to see what the plan had been, but whatever.

Also, Varys is a master at the game.  One step closer to getting a Targaryan back on the throne, now with a weak king and the Lannisters crippled.

I don't think he had a plan or was even planning to save Tyrion. He was just saying that to try to not get killed.

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
So was Oberyn's spear poisoned when he was fighting the Mountain?  There wasn't much that would have indicated it in that episode, but they were talking as if he'd been poisoned.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So was Oberyn's spear poisoned when he was fighting the Mountain?  There wasn't much that would have indicated it in that episode, but they were talking as if he'd been poisoned.

Yes, Oberyn is known to use poison.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Let me be a little more clear, I specifically want to know how you feel about Tyrion murdering his father.

I thought it was cool they did it while he was taking a crap.

The dialogue was a little sparse. I would have thought they would have a deeper moment but instead they seemed to want to make Tywin really easy to want dead.

They cut some stuff from the books that accomplishes this. I was pretty angry about it, and thought that the scenes seemed poorly done, but it seems that you guys can live with it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i liked how varys saved tyrion so they could be irl buds again after varys punked tyrion during the trial. 

off to lucha for some margs via a box on a boat.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
GOT is a great show, but I was really glad they did an episode like this.

I get that the show and the books, besides just being extremely well done, are ramped up a notch by the shock and counter-culture factor of killing off well-liked characters when you don't expect it. But, if you're only cutting off good guys heads it has the same effect as shows where only bad guys die; eventually you don't care.

I'm glad they gave some points to the good guys in this one, so they can resume killing off every awesome person with the shock factor intact.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's the thing, it's not a good v. bad situation. It's supposed to be as close to a "real" world as possible. Everybody thinks of themselves as the good guy. If you're Cersei Lannister, all of your actions are justified. Renly, Stannis, Rob Stark, they are the bad guys from her perspective. I don't think the show accomplishes this very well, because it doesn't make for great tv. TV watchers don't want to think. They want a knight in shining armor to vanquish a terrible scourge and woo a pretty lady.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So The Hound was a bad guy?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

that depends.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes, and a good guy - sort of.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
The best guy

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Other than the Miken incident, what made him a bad guy?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's the thing, it's not a good v. bad situation. It's supposed to be as close to a "real" world as possible. Everybody thinks of themselves as the good guy. If you're Cersei Lannister, all of your actions are justified. Renly, Stannis, Rob Stark, they are the bad guys from her perspective. I don't think the show accomplishes this very well, because it doesn't make for great tv. TV watchers don't want to think. They want a knight in shining armor to vanquish a terrible scourge and woo a pretty lady.

No I get that, I'm talking about how tv writers (not even necessarily the writers for this show) talk about how an audience will react. I think it's just natural, regardless of the principles of a show (in this case, no good or bad just people). I think this episode was good for the show in the long run as there probably won't be another "feel good" episode for a couple seasons.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think killing a kid for no good reason is a pretty good reason to consider him bad. And just because originally he was on the side of Joffery and pretty much did whatever he said. He also helped in the slaughter of Ned's household guard.

He's on Arya's list even when she is with him so she considered him bad.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Such is life, Mrs. Gooch. Such is life.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well, he did rob those innocent people who fed him and Arya, and like to kill people in general.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I never got what The Hound's motivation for helping her was.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well to begin with he just wanted to get some ransom money for her, but then she kind of grew on him as they traveled together.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well to begin with he just wanted to get some ransom money for her, but then she kind of grew on him as they traveled together.

Yeah they bonded when Arya tried to squish his head with a rock while he was sleeping.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
He also obviously had a soft spot for young girls (no pedo)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think killing a kid for no good reason is a pretty good reason to consider him bad. And just because originally he was on the side of Joffery and pretty much did whatever he said. He also helped in the slaughter of Ned's household guard.

He either had to follow his orders or get killed himself. His SOLE motivation for continuing to live is to kill his brother. He made his choices based upon that, until he semi-befriends Sansa (in his own weird way) at Kings Landing. He's a broken human being, not an evil one. Gregor, Viserys, Joff and the Boltons are the only pure evil characters in the story IMO.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

He either had to follow his orders or get killed himself. His SOLE motivation for continuing to live is to kill his brother. He made his choices based upon that, until he semi-befriends Sansa (in his own weird way) at Kings Landing. He's a broken human being, not an evil one. Gregor, Viserys, Joff and the Boltons are the only pure evil characters in the story IMO.

I said he was sort of bad and sort of good - as are most of the characters. I didn't say he was evil. Just because your life experiences and choices led you to have to do bad things that does not mean you didn't do those bad things.