Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 371016 times)

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Unless there's something they haven't talked about yet in the show, there's not a reason for Baelish to kill off Robin Arryn.

Baelish is now the Lord Protector of the Vale until Robin comes of age, so he's in control for the forseeable future. 

The assumption is that the north will rally around the Starks when the time comes, so as long as he holds on to Sansa, he'd have control over Winterfell as well.

He has control of 2/7 kingdoms now (Harrenhall, the Eyrie), with eventual plans on the third (Winterfell).  He's got to be playing the long game, but I can't see what he would go for after Winterfell, maybe Riverrun?

Harrenhal is not one of the seven kingdoms. The kingdoms, and their seats, are as follows: The North, Winterfell; The Iron Islands, Pyke; The Riverlands (Harrenhal is located here), Riverrun; The Vale, the Eyrie; The Westerlands, Casterly Rock; The Reach, Highgarden; The Stormlands, Storm's End.

Dorne was added as the eight kingdom sometime later. The region where King's Landing is locatede is referred to as the Crownlands.

Actually, Dorne is one of the seven kingdoms. The Iron Islands combined with the Riverlands as "The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers" when the Iron Borne conquered the Riverlands before the Targaryens showed up and took over. So the Seven Kingdoms weren't the Seven Kingdoms until Dorne was brought into the realm with the marriage between the Martells and Targaryens brought it in diplomatically.

Dorne maybe included as one of the seven kingdoms, but the Targaryen conquest split The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers into two distinct kingdoms. Dorne was added as the eighth two centuries later.

When Aegon used dragons to conquer the seven individually ruled kingdoms that existed on the mainland and forged a huge, strong empire. The Kingdoms were: The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Dorne.
Aegon managed to conquer only six of the seven kingdoms, consolidating them under the rule of House Targaryen and the Iron Throne. Dorne was joined to the realm only two centuries later through diplomatic means, after a few hurdles on the way, thus making the name somewhat inaccurate.

There are 9 "administrative regions" of which the Iron Islands are one ... They are not alone one of the "seven kingdoms".

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Seven_Kingdoms

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
I know people bitch about the three threads for GOT. . .but I love how informative this thread is without all the spoilery-ness.  Thanks to the awesome people who help us non book folk understand.  You are truly appreciated.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Unless there's something they haven't talked about yet in the show, there's not a reason for Baelish to kill off Robin Arryn.

Baelish is now the Lord Protector of the Vale until Robin comes of age, so he's in control for the forseeable future. 

The assumption is that the north will rally around the Starks when the time comes, so as long as he holds on to Sansa, he'd have control over Winterfell as well.

He has control of 2/7 kingdoms now (Harrenhall, the Eyrie), with eventual plans on the third (Winterfell).  He's got to be playing the long game, but I can't see what he would go for after Winterfell, maybe Riverrun?

Harrenhal is not one of the seven kingdoms. The kingdoms, and their seats, are as follows: The North, Winterfell; The Iron Islands, Pyke; The Riverlands (Harrenhal is located here), Riverrun; The Vale, the Eyrie; The Westerlands, Casterly Rock; The Reach, Highgarden; The Stormlands, Storm's End.

Dorne was added as the eight kingdom sometime later. The region where King's Landing is locatede is referred to as the Crownlands.

Actually, Dorne is one of the seven kingdoms. The Iron Islands combined with the Riverlands as "The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers" when the Iron Borne conquered the Riverlands before the Targaryens showed up and took over. So the Seven Kingdoms weren't the Seven Kingdoms until Dorne was brought into the realm with the marriage between the Martells and Targaryens brought it in diplomatically.

Dorne maybe included as one of the seven kingdoms, but the Targaryen conquest split The Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers into two distinct kingdoms. Dorne was added as the eighth two centuries later.

When Aegon used dragons to conquer the seven individually ruled kingdoms that existed on the mainland and forged a huge, strong empire. The Kingdoms were: The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, the Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Dorne.
Aegon managed to conquer only six of the seven kingdoms, consolidating them under the rule of House Targaryen and the Iron Throne. Dorne was joined to the realm only two centuries later through diplomatic means, after a few hurdles on the way, thus making the name somewhat inaccurate.

There are 9 "administrative regions" of which the Iron Islands are one ... They are not alone one of the "seven kingdoms".

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Seven_Kingdoms

I know the backstory. Thanks for linking me the wiki article that I've read before. The title "Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms" existed, from my understanding, since Aegon I was anointed in Oldtown. There are several logical conclusions we can reach from this, either Aegon I or the High Septon couldn't count, Aegon I didn't care that he hadn't conquered Dorne but was going to claim that he ruled the Dornish anyway, or, the most likely possibility, he counted the Iron Islands and the Riverlands as separate kingdoms.

It's possible that Aegon I had enough hubris to completely ignore his failure to conquer Dorne, but I feel like the most likely possibility is the last explanation I offered. Either way, Dorne was the eighth kingdom added to the realm. Source: rough ridin' math.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
Only way to settle this is to ask GRRM personally. If someone composes the tweet for me I'll ask him straight up via the interwebs.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Only way to settle this is to ask GRRM personally. If someone composes the tweet for me I'll ask him straight up via the interwebs.

Dear GRRM, What are the Seven Kingdoms? Yours Truly, ydarg2012

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Dear GRRM, What are the Seven Kingdoms? Yours Truly, ydarg2012

If the question is phrased that way, you'll get the answer that LHgenericbenderavatarCat gave.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
Just tweeted: "@_GRRM_ Sir Martin, What were the official Seven Kingdoms when Aegon I became ruler? (considering Dorne wasn't conquered) TIA"

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just tweeted: "@_GRRM_ Sir Martin, What were the official Seven Kingdoms when Aegon I became ruler? (considering Dorne wasn't conquered) TIA"

that account is ran by a fan, dude.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile

He doesn't actually have a Twitter account.  Just figured perhaps we could get a response from the massive fanbase?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

He doesn't actually have a Twitter account.  Just figured perhaps we could get a response from the massive fanbase?

That's probably because he is using a DOS computer.  :lol:

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
Sent the question to the email address given on his website.  If he ever emails me back, I'll post his answer on here.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Seven_Kingdoms

?Kingdom of the North, ruled by House Stark of Winterfell
?Kingdom of the Mountain and the Vale, ruled by House Arryn of the Eyrie
?Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, ruled by House Hoare (Baelish) of castle Harrenhal. Formed when the Iron Islands conquered the Riverlands.
?Kingdom of the Rock, ruled by House Lannister of Casterly Rock
?Kingdom of the Stormlands, ruled by House Durrandon of Storm's End
?Kingdom of the Reach, ruled by House Gardener of Highgarden
?Dorne, ruled by House Martell of Sunspear.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I thought the first season's Gregor was the best, the mountain doesn't need to be freakishly large by our standards, just by medieval standards.

Also, the Twins are now the seat of the Riverlands now, as a reward for Frey's loyalty to the crown.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I thought the first season's Gregor was the best, the mountain doesn't need to be freakishly large by our standards, just by medieval standards.

Also, the Twins are now the seat of the Riverlands now, as a reward for Frey's loyalty to the crown.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I'm totally hoping that we get a hodgepodge group of badasses banning together in the near future. Seeing Tyrion, Oberyn, Braun?, Brienne, Pod, Arya and the Hound walking over a hill slow-motion-reservoir-dogs style about to kick some ass and take some names would be so great.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
I have a feeling the Mountain is going to take out Oberyn. Sorry, @nicname :frown:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
I have a feeling the Mountain is going to take out Oberyn. Sorry, @nicname :frown:

the better actor always wins. its clear that the mountain has unsustainably poor acting skills

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile

the better actor always wins. its clear that the mountain has unsustainably poor acting skills

Championing for Tyrion seems to be Oberyn's role on the show. It makes sense for him to die now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile

NSFW!  Gay of Thrones.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
The change in emotion when you can't watch GOT on Sunday so you avoid all talk of the show and then you fire up the HBOGo/ On Demand, and you realize that they don't even have a show this week.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

NERD ALERT

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Alright, we're a few short hours away from Oberyn v. The Mountain... Who ya got? My money is on the 7'1 400 lb behemoth. RIP, sweet prince...

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
My money is on the sex machine with the exotic accent.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What if they both lose? :dunno: