Author Topic: Awesome (not necessarily great) baseball players from my youth.  (Read 14475 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Lynn Dykstra

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome (not necessarily great) baseball players from my youth.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »
Von Hayes

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:57 PM »
Dutch Dalton

What a stud!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:02 PM »
Shawon Dunston

Didn't really pan out. What a cool name tho!

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Chris Sabo.

Another great name! Remember his loaded bat?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
Lynn Dykstra

Man could definitely hit and chew. Unfortunately his post-MLB life was a bit less stellar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Dykstra

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
Kevin Mitchell!

Not a bust, and an awesome Jheri curl.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
Lynn Dykstra

Man could definitely hit and chew. Unfortunately his post-MLB life was a bit less stellar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Dykstra

You've got to pay the cost to be the boss. <<-- not really sure if that saying applies.

The Big Train

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:44:33 PM »

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »
Feel free to contribute. This thread is a free for all!

The Hawk. Best shoes ever.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
Mark Gubicza

I loved his blue glove.  Plus, the end of his last name is the nickname of one of my (and Michelangelo's) favorite foods!

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 11:55:16 PM »
Feel free to contribute. This thread is a free for all!

The Hawk. Best shoes ever.

Andre played with a lot of pain the last several years of his career. His election to the HOF was a no-brainer.

The Big Train

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:11 PM »
I mean, he was great, but would have been legendary if not for injuries, might as well get him in here now

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:06:17 AM »
Brook Jacoby

This guy gave young nicname his first autograph ever after the Indians beat the Royals 1-0 one summer afternoon.  I'm not sure if he was any good, and I don't have that card anymore I don't think, but it was really a nice gesture.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
I mean, he was great, but would have been legendary if not for injuries, might as well get him in here now

WhenI was 10 or 11 I went to a Royals game vs the Mariners for my birthday. Ken hit a home run. It was awesome. Also that day, some guy from the Mariners hit a foul ball straight back behind the box. We were sitting on the first row of the upper-deck cheap seats (still decent seats imo), and I was turned around talking to my mom or little bro or something. I almost got nailed with that ball.

The Big Train

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »

WhenI was 10 or 11 I went to a Royals game vs the Mariners for my birthday. Ken hit a home run. It was awesome. Also that day, some guy from the Mariners hit a foul ball straight back behind the box. We were sitting on the first row of the upper-deck cheap seats (still decent seats imo), and I was turned around talking to my mom or little bro or something. I almost got nailed with that ball.

I saw Griffey at a Rockies game when I was like a 7th grader from the right field upper deck, he grounded out to first, then I saw him at Kaufman 2 weeks before he retired, main reason I went to the game was to see him before he retired, man am I glad I went.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
I was a pretty huge Giants fan when I was a kid. Dad is from Redwood City, and used to sharpen knives to make money. Then he would use his earnings to ride the Bart and whatever preceded it the old 'Stick to watch Giants games when he was a kid. Anyway, I REALLY got into them the year before they got Bonds. Then that 93 season was so awesome, then depressing at the end.

Well, the year after I finally got to go back to SF and watch a Giants game the year after. We sat in the bleacher seats in left field "The Bonds squad." Barry was my fave player and I would always argue that he was better than Griffey (he was, BTW). They were playing the Reds that day (Deion Sanders). Bonds smashed a home run to right field, but the Reds kicked their asses 17-4.

I still had a lot of fun.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »
I was a pretty huge Giants fan when I was a kid. Dad is from Redwood City, and used to sharpen knives to make money. Then he would use his earnings to ride the Bart and whatever preceded it the old 'Stick to watch Giants games when he was a kid. Anyway, I REALLY got into them the year before they got Bonds. Then that 93 season was so awesome, then depressing at the end.

Well, the year after I finally got to go back to SF and watch a Giants game the year after. We sat in the bleacher seats in left field "The Bonds squad." Barry was my fave player and I would always argue that he was better than Griffey (he was, BTW). They were playing the Reds that day (Deion Sanders). Bonds smashed a home run to right field, but the Reds kicked their asses 17-4.

I still had a lot of fun.

PED's or not, Bonds was always better than Griffey, Jr.

The Big Train

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »
 :lol: which is why bonds had his own video game

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »
I have a soft spot for early 90's baseball cards

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 01:24:44 AM »
Just looking at them makes me smile!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »
i have a ton of worthless early 90's cards, and nothing to do with them.  is there any place that will just buy the lot for like 100 bucks or something
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 05:51:28 AM »
Joey cora
Mark grace
Wally joiner
Steve avery
Harold baines
Mike gallego
Bobby bonilla
Benito santiago