Author Topic: Teaching financial literacy in KS  (Read 2555 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Teaching financial literacy in KS
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/19/4900637/kansas-house-approves-financial.html

Great idea in principle. Mandatory instruction is way overdue. They already have this in MO.

I do hope they include a provision that allows liberal parents to opt out. I'm also skeptical whether there are enough fiscal conservatives in our public schools to teach it properly. The part about teaching how to give a good handshake was pretty :lol: though.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching financial literacy in KS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
BOOM SHAKALAKA

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
too much government involvement

Offline Daddy Claxton

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »
I think I'd trust a public school teacher with teaching my kid sex ed and evolution before I would trust him/her with teaching financial literacy.  I'd be okay with them teaching handshakes I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
I wish I had taken one of these classes in high school. I would have taken out less student loan debt and invested earlier, for starters. The kids who this can really help are the ones who rack up grad school size student loan debts to get some useless degree from an out-of-state college.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
Other than the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) handshake thing, this is what Home Economics is supposed to be rather than baking and sewing.

Also, how rough ridin' stupid are Kansans that our reps think part of the solution to our current economic woes is a handshake.   How 1920's of their old and white asses. 

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »

Also, how rough ridin' stupid are Kansans that our reps think part of the solution to our current economic woes is a handshake.   How 1920's of their old and white asses.

Well, teaching creation in schools hasn't gotten us out of this mess like expected so now it's onto option 2.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
The handshake thing was an amendment that someone offered to be a smart ass and say how dumb this underlying bill was.  The amendment passed though, adding a layer of hilarity to this.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
i agree with more handshake education. nothing is more devastating to a new relationship than a flubbed handshake.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
i agree with more handshake education. nothing is more devastating to a new relationship than a flubbed handshake.

100% agreed.  How hard is it to give a firm handshake?  Webbing to webbing, damnit.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
This seems like a pretty good program to me. Good job, house.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
Other than the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) handshake thing, this is what Home Economics is supposed to be rather than baking and sewing.

Home Economics was created over a hundred years ago, sort of as a women's alternative to shop. Its purpose was to teach women how to be better homemakers. The origins are quite ironically very sexist. While teaching things like balancing a budget would seem to be a perfect fit for home economics, as you point out, those classes are still devoted to cooking, sewing, etc.

This bill doesn't mandate one particular class - it mandates that certain financial literacy instruction be incorporated into many classes K-12. It's a good idea, but somewhat nebulous in application. It would also be a great idea to require a specific class in "don't be a financial dumbass" that would be mandatory for, say, all high school juniors about the time they're looking at colleges.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:12:20 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »

This seems like a pretty good program to me. Good job, house.

Yes, agree

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
one time I was trying to shake hands with this old guy and his hand split my open hands fingers and he wrapped his hand around my pink and ring finger and then we shook like that.

Is it possible that it was some kind of intentional power move on his part? Or just the most embarrassing moment of both our lives?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »
today in math we're going to learn how to shake hands

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Who would your ideal teacher for this course be? I think that maybe the school could just run credit scores on all the staff and pair the highest score with the lowest score. That way, they will hopefully get somebody who can actually give some good advice on how to use your money to make money and explain the difference between good debt and bad debt as well as somebody who can explain how they have to pay nearly a thousand dollars per month in credit card interest and child support so they are living in a trailer home despite earning the same salary as the person they are standing next to. I think that would be a real eye-opener to a teenager.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
one time I was trying to shake hands with this old guy and his hand split my open hands fingers and he wrapped his hand around my pink and ring finger and then we shook like that.

Is it possible that it was some kind of intentional power move on his part? Or just the most embarrassing moment of both our lives?

Sounds like a fraternity grip. You failed.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Who would your ideal teacher for this course be? I think that maybe the school could just run credit scores on all the staff and pair the highest score with the lowest score. That way, they will hopefully get somebody who can actually give some good advice on how to use your money to make money and explain the difference between good debt and bad debt as well as somebody who can explain how they have to pay nearly a thousand dollars per month in credit card interest and child support so they are living in a trailer home despite earning the same salary as the person they are standing next to. I think that would be a real eye-opener to a teenager.

Dave Ramsey minus the scripture references. It's financial learnin for dummies, but you could do a lot worse. I think he even has a specific course for high schoolers.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
This bill doesn't mandate one particular class - it mandates that certain financial literacy instruction be incorporated into many classes K-12.
i like any plan that encourages ALL teachers to teach financial literacy because some of them will suck at it and some will be great. my high school teacher who was supposed to cover budgeting and home ec-type stuff was pathetic, but a lot of kids benefitted from a math and government teacher who took it upon themselves to teach about loans, interest rates, and rental agreements.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »

Maybe if they teach you how to accurately assess the sitch and apply the appropriate handshake type.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »

Home Economics was created over a hundred years ago, sort of as a women's alternative to shop. Its purpose was to teach women how to be better homemakers. The origins are quite ironically very sexist. While teaching things like balancing a budget would seem to be a perfect fit for home economics, as you point out, those classes are still devoted to cooking, sewing, etc.

This bill doesn't mandate one particular class - it mandates that certain financial literacy instruction be incorporated into many classes K-12. It's a good idea, but somewhat nebulous in application. It would also be a great idea to require a specific class in "don't be a financial dumbass" that would be mandatory for, say, all high school juniors about the time they're looking at colleges.

Back then, managing day to day books of the house was the woman's job as the homemaker.  Home Ec used to deal with budgets and stuff. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
the fact that they don't mandate a specific class probably opens the door for things like "Cash flow for Christians" or some variation

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
The fact that they are mandating it be taught and assessed but providing no other input is typical and huge LOL on the handshake part.  I think financial literacy absolutely should be taught and it should be a class with an actual curriculum required in high school.  That makes it someone's responsibility.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
The fact that they are mandating it be taught and assessed but providing no other input is typical and huge LOL on the handshake part.  I think financial literacy absolutely should be taught and it should be a class with an actual curriculum required in high school.  That makes it someone's responsibility.

I'm not really sure how this works. Wouldn't the state board of education be in charge of setting the curriculum after the legislature mandates something like this?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

Actually, looks like the bill requires both overall adjustments to k-10 curriculum and a specific class in grades 11 or 12. Good. And while they don't insert a specific chapter by chapter syllabus in the bill, it's pretty specific on the subjects to be covered. Good.

http://kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2475_00_0000.pdf

I don't see anything about a handshake. If some libtard put that in as an amendment just to ridicule the bill, what an bad person.