Author Topic: Science Articles  (Read 35280 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Science Articles
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2016, 09:20:01 PM »
Still loling about this.  I mean, Microsoft spent the time to engineer an AI bot to interact with ppl and with in 2 hrs the Internet turned it into a white supremacist bigoted hatebot.  The power of the internet.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

you already know bro
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

The Big Train

« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
requires a subscription to log in, but it peaks interest

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6281/67

The Big Train

The Big Train

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »

The Big Train

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:19 PM »

The Big Train

The Big Train

« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2016, 12:31:24 AM »
I mean, honestly, how long will this go that the church can deny this kind of stuff?  The competent people can realize on their own, but the religious community, man.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
All they have to say is the God caused it to happen

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
One of the other breakdowns with that hypothesis, is that theres no evidence that the universe expansion is slowing down... for there to be a big bounce there ought to be a big apex, but the universe is actually expanding at a faster and faster rate.

The Big Train

« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
They have already proved that the big freeze isn't gonna happen.  Inflation will only accelerate until a finite point

The Big Train

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2016, 11:41:07 PM »
Physics and Calc/advanced math aside the next few things ITT should be a lot of fun!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »
There are four forces in the universe: the strong and the weak nuclear force, gravity, and electromagnetism. The Standard Model predicts the interaction of all except gravity, an indication that there might be more physics we haven't seen yet. This new fifth force would interact with dark matter, the invisible matter component believed to make up 30 percent of the universe, although its existence is not yet confirmed.

www.iflscience.com/physics/moving-closer-to-a-potential-fifth-force-of-nature/

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
I mean, honestly, how long will this go that the church can deny this kind of stuff?  The competent people can realize on their own, but the religious community, man.

About a month late on this, but anyone who thinks science and religion conflict really doesn't understand at least one, but probably both, of those things.

The Big Train

« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
There are four forces in the universe: the strong and the weak nuclear force, gravity, and electromagnetism. The Standard Model predicts the interaction of all except gravity, an indication that there might be more physics we haven't seen yet. This new fifth force would interact with dark matter, the invisible matter component believed to make up 30 percent of the universe, although its existence is not yet confirmed.

www.iflscience.com/physics/moving-closer-to-a-potential-fifth-force-of-nature/

I love this kind of stuff.  I know there has been research suggesting that dark matter is very heavy(relatively speaking) particles that are about as heavy as you can get before becoming a miniature black hole.  That would help account for the extra mass needed to keep galaxies from spinning apart. 

Plus with the recent confirmation of gravity waves it adds all sorts of new things to the equation.  Most stuff that was once thought just as theory now has real staying power.

The Big Train

« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »

About a month late on this, but anyone who thinks science and religion conflict really doesn't understand at least one, but probably both, of those things.

Religion says we are alone and that a single God created us.  There was a beginning and an end.  That conflicts with many parts of science. 

Pope Francis is a very smart man and if you haven't read some of his recent(last few years) comments about this very issue you should.  He knows that eventually the church will have to have a stance on it.  Pope Francis is the man.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »

Religion says we are alone and that a single God created us.  There was a beginning and an end.  That conflicts with many parts of science. 

Pope Francis is a very smart man and if you haven't read some of his recent(last few years) comments about this very issue you should.  He knows that eventually the church will have to have a stance on it.  Pope Francis is the man.
Religion does not say this, at least not all religions.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

The Big Train

« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »

Religion does not say this, at least not all religions.

Well until you can definitely tell me which religion is correct I'll keep lumping them all in one.  There is only 1 science and that's the truth.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
I'm not sure what you are talking about Pope Francis said, but I seriously doubt it was anything to the effect of religion being mutually exclusive with algae on Mars. And I don't think any self-respecting scientist would claim to show the existence or nonexistence of God through science.

And to be clear, scientists and religious leaders can still be idiots.

The Big Train

« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
The notion that we are alone in the universe has been said since religion began.  That's the point that we are the center of everything. 

Pope Francis acknowledged that if extraterrestrial life was found that it wouldn't conflict with God.  Since the universe is vast, he is saving the church from having a hard stance on it anymore.  Where would the money go if it was proven that we are not alone and the church didn't acknowledge the truth?

He also loves astronomy which had been a big no-no for the church forever.  Also most scientists are agnostic because of the research they do and how open minded you have to be to do it. 

Pope Francis is a very smart head of the church.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Science Articles
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »
Ok, my bad. I thought you were saying religion and science conflicted when you were actually just pointing out that the leader of (I think?) the biggest organized religion on the planet said they don't.

The Big Train

« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
Sorry for the confusion

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »
Really all he meant to say was that Pope Francis is a very smart man, and he (TBT) is smarter than the Pope. Therefore, through the amazing power of deductive reasoning, TBT is a very, very smart man. After all:
It has been shown in various studies that you are must (sic) less likely to believe in religion the more intelligent you are. . .

The Big Train

« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
:lol:

The Big Train

« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »
Must feel good to get that thorn out of your side, it's been there for almost 6 months :D