Author Topic: Responsible gun owner protects personal property  (Read 123104 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Responsible gun owner protects personal property
« Reply #650 on: May 06, 2016, 02:40:24 AM »
This "precocious" kid is likely protected on account of his age, relative intelligence and experience, but using deadly force against a person who is no longer threatening serious bodily injury or death to you is not justified under the laws of any state. Pretty tough to argue that you intended only a minor wound when your hit rate is 1/12. SYG does not apply to persons attempting to flee.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 06, 2016, 06:17:51 AM »
This "precocious" kid is likely protected on account of his age, relative intelligence and experience, but using deadly force against a person who is no longer threatening serious bodily injury or death to you is not justified under the laws of any state. Pretty tough to argue that you intended only a minor wound when your hit rate is 1/12. SYG does not apply to persons attempting to flee.

Would not convict.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 06, 2016, 07:22:28 AM »
Maybe he fired 11 warning shots and one leg shot to disable the threat? Ever thought of that idiots?

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 06, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
 :Yuck:
Only an idiot would purport a gun sitting harmlessly in a dresser drawer is more dangerous than a violent meth head who has broken into a home and threatened to kill somebody. 

Way more people get killed by guns accessed by children than by meth heads

Someone should have told his parents.  I'm sure they would have preferred him killed by a meth head.  Luckily, it appears they educated their son and he is alive to thank them.
omg you actually believe this

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #654 on: May 06, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »
Why does anyone gaf about a dead meth head? Meth heads are the sewer rats of society, all they do is steal, spread disease, and cause heartache and pain.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 06, 2016, 09:02:03 AM »

Do not take legal advice from this guy.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 06, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »

:Yuck:
Only an idiot would purport a gun sitting harmlessly in a dresser drawer is more dangerous than a violent meth head who has broken into a home and threatened to kill somebody. 

Someone should have told his parents.  I'm sure they would have preferred him killed by a meth head.  Luckily, it appears they educated their son and he is alive to thank them.
omg you actually believe this

He really does! It's fascinating.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 06, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
I mean, obviously your hit rate is going to be lower when you are aiming for a small quickly moving target area (leg) than if you had aimed for a larger more stable area (torso).

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 06, 2016, 10:20:34 AM »

1) he was still in commission of a burglary
2) he had a gun and had threatened to kill the kid
3) the kid was in fear of his life

Spray away kid, reload if you have to.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 06, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »

1) he was still in commission of a burglary
2) he had a gun and had threatened to kill the kid
3) the kid was in fear of his life

Spray away kid, reload if you have to.

Also many states with castle doctrine will allow you to blast trespassers committing felonies. And many allow you to use deadly force to apprehend a fleeing suspect. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Responsible gun owner protects personal property
« Reply #660 on: May 06, 2016, 10:42:23 AM »

Also many states with castle doctrine will allow you to blast trespassers committing felonies. And many allow you to use deadly force to apprehend a fleeing suspect.

Link? This sounds very wrong, but some states may be more redneck than I'm anticipating.

I mean, even police can't use deadly force to apprehend fleeing suspects in most cases.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 06, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »

Link? This sounds very wrong, but some states may be more redneck than I'm anticipating.

I mean, even police can't use deadly force to apprehend fleeing suspects in most cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

and for cops specifically
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 06, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
:impatient: so where is the support for the sentence I bolded?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 06, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
Are you daft?  like I'm seriously confused what you don't get about those links.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 06, 2016, 12:20:44 PM »
Maybe he fired 11 warning shots and one leg shot to disable the threat? Ever thought of that idiots?

maybe he missed 11 times because he was aiming at the leg (moving) and not trying to kill the poor meth addict (that he kinda/sorta knew).  1/12 isn't bad for a lower leg attached to a running human.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 06, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »
I mean, obviously your hit rate is going to be lower when you are aiming for a small quickly moving target area (leg) than if you had aimed for a larger more stable area (torso).

sorry, mrs. gooch.  i didn't get this far before i entered my post.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 06, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
i'm not sure if i like 11 year olds telling their meth-head kinda/sorta acquaintance assailants that they just shot in the leg to "be brave, you'll be ok.  trust god", or not.
It's definitely more disturbing that this 11 year old has such easy access to a handgun, no?

no, not really.  it also wouldn't raise the eyebrow if the child went around telling meth heads to buck up, old sport without shooting them first.  it's the combination that attracts the eye.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 06, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »
Are you daft?  like I'm seriously confused what you don't get about those links.

Well the first wasn't really even a commentary of the law, just an anecdote about a dude who didn't get indicted after he shot some guys who were running at him on his property and he may or may not have hit them in the back.

The second specifically says that SCOTUS said way back in 1985 that you cannot use lethal force against fleeing suspects unless they pose an immediate threat of serious bodily harm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 06, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »

what is the comparison we are looking for here?  if it is the danger posed by each item, you have to account for the frequency of each.  i don't have any data, but i'd guess that the rate of violence resulting from breaking and entering meth heads per minute in house with child is much much higher than the rate resulting from guns in house with child per minute.

even per day, hell even per occurrence, i'd bet meth addict.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 06, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
You know, thinking through it a little more, maybe the moral of the story here is: if you're going to have one easily accessible gun in the house then you should have at least two.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »
You know, thinking through it a little more, maybe the moral of the story here is: if you're going to have one easily accessible gun in the house then you should have at least two.

Two guns = two legs?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 06, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »

what is the comparison we are looking for here?  if it is the danger posed by each item, you have to account for the frequency of each.  i don't have any data, but i'd guess that the rate of violence resulting from breaking and entering meth heads per minute in house with child is much much higher than the rate resulting from guns in house with child per minute.

even per day, hell even per occurrence, i'd bet meth addict.

This sounds like an argument for reducing the number of guns in households with children. I mean, it's illegal for meth heads to break into homes, which has no doubt curtailed those incidences (and hence deaths). Are you proposing we do the same with guns?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 06, 2016, 01:01:58 PM »
That may have been his intention, at least he didn't get unlucky and shoot him fatally with those leg misses.

of course not.  he's obviously very good.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
This sounds like an argument for reducing the number of guns in households with children. I mean, it's illegal for meth heads to break into homes, which has no doubt curtailed those incidences (and hence deaths). Are you proposing we do the same with guns?

data can be used to argue any number of things.  but the data are just the data.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 06, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
I like to think that on the 12th shot, the kid just closed his eyes and let Jesus aim the gun.