Author Topic: Sad.  (Read 23503 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sad.
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
I spend a lot of time here and I usually don't discuss much other than K-State football and basketball. But as you spend time at these places you get to know people pretty well, maybe not like face to face, but the relationship is real. Many of you I have met and I enjoyed meeting very much. I will also say that I know everyone goes through tough times and I am always careful about sharing stuff like this because I don't want to make light of what others are going through (and I know everyone goes through tough stuff) or bring too much attention to myself.

Today and this weekend have been very sad for the _FAN family (my wife and 2 boys). We don't know for sure, but all indications are that our dog Skipper is dying. He hasn't eaten for a week after we took him to the vet to get looked at last Monday. The vet wasn't really sure what was wrong and he was put on some antibiotics and other medications according to the best diagnosis the vet could give. Unfortunately none of that has worked and he has continued to not eat and daily gets weaker and weaker. Its one thing to deal with death, its quite another to watch death happening right before your eyes. I'm as optimistic as they come and tomorrow the vet is supposed to check on him again, but sometimes it seems you can tell, and everything looks and feels like the end. We are doing all we can to make him feel comfortable and spend quality time with him and its hard. I also understand the "its just a dog" sentiment in situations like this (because its something I usually think myself) but for me this time it hasn't been that way.

I apologize for bringing sad news (and probably meaningless news to most) and I know posts like this are probably more for the poster than the readers, but I think this is a good place to come and share because I feel connected with many of you.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sad.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
I am sorry to hear that, _FAN. My parents had to put down the dog my family has had since I was 10 last weekend. And it's not silly to mourn the loss of a dog. Otherwise "Marley and Me" wouldn't be like, the saddest movie of all time.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
 :cry: for the doge

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
 :frown: We're here for you, _fan!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
terrible.  t's and p's man.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
 :frown: sorry to hear that _FAN. I am a huge dog lover myself and know how hard this is. My family's Chocolate Lab Nellie died because of a hereditary condition and it was the most I had ever cried in my life. Remember the good times, because dogs really are a man's best friend. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Sorry _FAN

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
It's going to be tough on the kids, but a great lesson in life. Heck, it will be hard on you too, I bet. I never got the "just a dog" mentality. Dogs are special.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »
awful. dogs are members of the family, anyone who says otherwise doesn't get it.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
Losing pets sucks.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
Sorry to hear.  We lost both of our dogs within a week of each other in December. :frown:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
Sorry, _FAN. That really sucks.

The Big Train

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
Sorry to hear that _FAN, losing a dog is always hard because they really are a part of the family. My dog died about 3 weeks after my step-dad passed away, can be very rough times.  :frown:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
awful. dogs are members of the family, anyone who says otherwise doesn't get it.

Offline BigPapi

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »
Sorry to hear this _FAN. My beagle that I got in high school went through this exact same thing over the holidays. Stopped eating and got really thin and weak. She rallied for a few weeks before waking up in pain one morning. We then had to put her down.  :frown: :bawl: very sad day in the Papi family.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
Sorry _fan. Saying goodbye to pets sucks.  :frown:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about this tough time that you and your family are going through, _FAN. Pets hold a special place in the heart of most owners and their families. It's a reminder of how tough it's going to be when I lose my childhood dog. My thoughts are with you, friend.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
 :frown: sorry, _FAN.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
i've been in that situation a couple of times, and it is very hard to watch.  what i can offer, is we had an old dog that did the same not eating for a week thing, and we thought it was time the same as you.  the vet tried using some special stomach food and he started eating again and was alright.  lived for another 2 years.  i hope everything works out for you as well, dogs are very special animals.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 03:51:33 PM »
:( I hate hearing stuff like this.  Dogs are just the best.  Absolutely fantastic beings.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
We went through a similar thing with a Golden a year ago.  Sucks, man.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »
Thanks gE.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that, dogs are such important parts of my family.   It's really tough.  The not eating is hard to watch but if that is the case it's because he truly isn't hungry.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Sorry, _FAN

I am pretty much obsessed with my dog - can't even imagine. Out of curiosity - did you take an xray of Skippers stomach? I've know several dogs that have stopped eating for days at a time and turns out they've eaten something they shouldn't have.

I really hope he turns out ok.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
T's & P's _FAN.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles