Author Topic: Sad.  (Read 23501 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Sad.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Sorry for your loss _FAN.  There are but a select few humans whose lives are more precious to me than my two dogs. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
so not looking forward to having to go through this. sorry _fan.  :frown:

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »
I have no idea how hard this must be, thoughts to you and your family. 
My pup is going on 15 and I know he's not going to live forever.  :frown:

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
SKipper was only 3?  Fan, do you know what happened?  Did he get into something?  cancer??   

Sorry for your loss.  It'll get better.... Time to give another good dog a good home/family.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
SKipper was only 3?  Fan, do you know what happened?  Did he get into something?  cancer??   

Sorry for your loss.  It'll get better.... Time to give another good dog a good home/family.

He was 4 or 5. He was a rescue dog we got a little over 3 years ago. They weren't real sure on his age, but he was at least a year old then.

The vet didn't know what caused it and we couldn't remember or find anything that he got into, but basically his liver and kidneys slowly began to fail and he completely quit eating. It started about a week and a half ago, we went to the vet last Monday and had a bunch of tests done and he was put on antibiotics. Yesterday morning I went to the vet again and she said that more tests could be done or he could be referred, but she wasn't certain on what was going on (based on all the blood work and test results from the first time) and that he was in pretty bad shape (he had become almost completely yellow in his gums with jaundice.) It was unlike anything she had ever seen and based on the progression of whatever he had that him recovering at that point wasn't real likely.

So we took him home, took the rest of the day off, got the kids out of school and spent the afternoon with him. It was a very tough time, but good for everyone to have time with him. In the evening my wife and I went back to the vet, they put in a catheter and I held him in my arms as he was sedated and then euthanized. He will be sent to K-State for a necropsy so hopefully we'll find out what happened, the vet really is curious and wants to know as well.

And yes, we plan to get another rescue dog.

Thanks for all the kind comments and words. You guys are great.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:51 PM »
I am so sorry. That sounds very painful for your whole family.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
The vet didn't know what caused it and we couldn't remember or find anything that he got into, but basically his liver and kidneys slowly began to fail and he completely quit eating. It started about a week and a half ago, we went to the vet last Monday and had a bunch of tests done and he was put on antibiotics. Yesterday morning I went to the vet again and she said that more tests could be done or he could be referred, but she wasn't certain on what was going on (based on all the blood work and test results from the first time) and that he was in pretty bad shape (he had become almost completely yellow in his gums with jaundice.)

oh crap. that sounds eerily similar to what happened to one of our dogs in December. Was there blood in his urine?

It was diagnosed as Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (immune system is destroying its own red blood cells). And her white blood cell count was dropping too, so they think it may have been Evans Syndrome.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your loss, _Fan.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  I'm sure that Skipper was very thankful to be able to enjoy most of his life with good people such as yourselves.
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
Sorry for your loss, @ksu_FAN.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
Is this the thread for all non-cancerous sad things, or solely for _FAN's loss? If it's the latter, then mods feel free to mod this into a more appropriate thread.

My grandpa died this morning. It wasn't expected per se, but he hasn't left his place of assisted living in the past several months except for the last K-State football game he got to go to (he was honored as fan of the game) and for Christmas. Both were pretty big events in the sense that it took a lot of help to assist him, and we hired someone from Brewster Place to help him during the football game.

Grandparents' deaths are weird. Most of my sadness is for my mom. She was especially close to him since she was the only daughter of five kids, so she had a special relationship with him. She lost her mom the Thursday after Mother's Day as well (what are the odds?) a few years ago, so Mother's Day has been hard for her since then. This obviously won't help.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
Is this the thread for all non-cancerous sad things, or solely for _FAN's loss? If it's the latter, then mods feel free to mod this into a more appropriate thread.

My grandpa died this morning. It wasn't expected per se, but he hasn't left his place of assisted living in the past several months except for the last K-State football game he got to go to (he was honored as fan of the game) and for Christmas. Both were pretty big events in the sense that it took a lot of help to assist him, and we hired someone from Brewster Place to help him during the football game.

Grandparents' deaths are weird. Most of my sadness is for my mom. She was especially close to him since she was the only daughter of five kids, so she had a special relationship with him. She lost her mom the Thursday after Mother's Day as well (what are the odds?) a few years ago, so Mother's Day has been hard for her since then. This obviously won't help.

Sorry man. I think its more than appropriate to share here.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

sorry stevesie

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »

Ts & Ps, friend.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

So sorry to hear this, Stevesie.
And you are right about how it is more a sadness for your parent. This is how I felt when my grandma died. I'm sure you know this, but you being there for your mom will help her get through it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
sorry stevsie.  try to spend more time than usual w/ your mom, it will help.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
sorry bud.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
sorry, stevesie.

this gives me a new appreciation for Fan of the Game and I will cheer extra loud in the future.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
So sorry Stevesie. That sucks. Cool about being fan of the game. When we encounter, I want that story.

It is ironic that I feel sadness for my kids that my own father (their grandfather) died before they even had the chance to meet him. I always tell them how awesomely kind hearted Grandpa dobber was and that he would be especially proud of them (when they do something that is nice for somebody else).

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »

Sorry to hear that stevesie

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Funeral was yesterday. My grandpa was so EMAW. I heard a story that I hadn't heard about him in which the K-State football coach from sometime in the 70's came to what is now the Topeka Catbackers Club to talk about the upcoming season, etc. The only people in attendance that night were the coach and my grandpa.

The funeral ended by playing The Wildcat Fight Song on repeat.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
Your grandpa sounds awesome Stevesie.  Sorry for your family's loss.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2014, 01:13:41 AM »
my grandpa died today.  he was a pow in ww2 for 36mo and a total stud

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile