Author Topic: Michael Sam  (Read 49785 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Sam
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
posnanski is really one of the worst writers in the world. Rick Reilly looks down on him.

The only thing I truly miss about Posnanski is not having him writing at the star simultaneously with Whitlock because from about 1994-1999 it was the easiest way for a Tuck (racist) to accidentally self-identify.

huh? that post makes no sense.

Tucks loathed the brash and aggressive Whitlock and loved the over-sentimental Posnanski.

What does that have to do with racism?

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
posnanski is really one of the worst writers in the world. Rick Reilly looks down on him.

The only thing I truly miss about Posnanski is not having him writing at the star simultaneously with Whitlock because from about 1994-1999 it was the easiest way for a Tuck (racist) to accidentally self-identify.

huh? that post makes no sense.

Tucks loathed the brash and aggressive Whitlock and loved the over-sentimental Posnanski.

What does that have to do with racism?

Whitlock was widely disliked and is still a controversial figure in Kansas City even though he was an above average (frequently impactful) sports journalist. Whereas Posnanski was  overwhelmingly well-liked while simultaneously being a pretty bad writer.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say Posnanski is a bad writer. I read The Machine (which is a book).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say Posnanski is a bad writer. I read The Machine (which is a book).

I think he's awful, and I think that's very fair based on his columns. I don't think writing a book makes him not bad, but if you want to like him, that's fine.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
nope sorry. if you dislike whitlock and like posnanski you're a racist.  sorry, racist (not).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
I think he over-sentimental, sure. But over-sentimental is not synonymous with "bad", if we're talking about sportswriters, imo.

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
nope sorry. if you dislike whitlock and like posnanski you're a racist.  sorry, racist (not).

Not saying that I think its entirely motivated by race mostly just tuck gon' tuck. However, being black and successful and appearing to be anything less than contrite or grateful or even worse challenging the status quo (like whitlock) there is a group of people who are uncomfortable with that - whether or not they are even aware of it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
I think he over-sentimental, sure. But over-sentimental is not synonymous with "bad", if we're talking about sportswriters, imo.

To stand out as overly sentimental among that group of windbags (sportswriters) is absolutely synonymous with "bad".

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »
We talking JoePa?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »

Not saying that I think its entirely motivated by race mostly just tuck gon' tuck. However, being black and successful and appearing to be anything less than contrite or grateful or even worse challenging the status quo (like whitlock) there is a group of people who are uncomfortable with that - whether or not they are even aware of it.
even if you're motives are partly motivated by race (which, as we agree, is undoubtedly the case re. our JoePa and JW hypo), you're a racist.  quit letting them off the hook.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2014, 05:51:53 PM »
I don't know how anyone reads any sports writer. How's that rank on the racism scale?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
I don't know how anyone reads any sports writer. How's that rank on the racism scale?

Sorry seven, that puts you at about a 7.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »
Interesting how much fans and the university have embraced Sam for coming out, yet this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/aclu-lawsuit-missouri-gay-marriage-ban/5390891/

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
Interesting how much fans and the university have embraced Sam for coming out, yet this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/11/aclu-lawsuit-missouri-gay-marriage-ban/5390891/

they are embracing him because they can't do the opposite.  there are plenty of missouri red necks who are secretly pissed off about the attention mu is getting on the issue

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

Most of Missouri is horrible outside of the major cities and college towns. Probably horrified that Michael Sam "happened" to "their team."

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

Most of Missouri is horrible outside of the major cities and college towns. Probably horrified that Michael Sam "happened" to "their team."

GPC would've Chernobyl'd itself if AB or someone like him had come out.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
http://deadspin.com/michael-sams-father-did-not-take-his-sons-coming-out-1521052264?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Last Tuesday, Michael Sam Sr. was at a Denny's near his home outside Dallas to celebrate his birthday when his son sent him a text message.

Dad, I'm gay, he wrote.

The party stopped cold. "I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. said. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment.

"I'm old-school," he added. "I'm a man and a woman type of guy." As evidence, he pointed out that he had taken an older son to Mexico to lose his virginity.

On Sunday night, just after Michael Sam announced his intention to make sports history, his father was still struggling with the news.

Sam Sr. loves his son, and he said he hoped his son made it to the N.F.L. "As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross," he said. "This is just one he has to cross."

But he expressed discomfort at the very idea of a gay N.F.L. player, even if the player was his son. He grumbled that Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end renowned for his toughness, "is turning over in his grave."

:sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
ugh

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »
Anyone else see this as a non story? Really having a hard time caring about this one.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »

Anyone else see this as a non story? Really having a hard time caring about this one.

yes, a lot of people are going out of their way to say that pike

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
EDIT: The TELLING OF THE story is the story at this point, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:50:56 PM by Pete »

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »
Dad seems like a real winner  :flush:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

just acknowledge that it's a good thing we are on the path to gays not fearing being who they are in professional sports. no one's forcing you to care that he's gay, just appreciate the significance.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
It's a total non-story, as evidenced by the fact that it's happened many, many times before.