Author Topic: Master Submarine Thread  (Read 47056 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: Master Submarine Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »
Oh man, follow up...what happens when somebody dies and you are all silent and not resurfacing for another 8 months? Is the family notified?
In a war time, they'd wrap the dead in plastic and stash in the freezer until port. Now, they'd do the same but head home quickly.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »
hey private, what are you doing with that mop and bucket?

colonel told me to scrub the air

jfc private...
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
there is hydrogen in water too dobby
Yes, I realize that now, but my question is still accurate, because in my scenario, with the super machine that I referenced, it only extracted the oxygen. Someone just needs to invent a better machine, one that extracts oxygen and hydrogen from the water.
Hydrolysis.
Boom. Invented. #SubStudsTM
:Woohoo: :Woohoo:

They already have hydrolysis machines as well as CO2 scrubbers and air scrubbers (fart absorbers).  Sorry Dobber. Already invented.
FYP

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »
 :Woot:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
Oh man, follow up...what happens when somebody dies and you are all silent and not resurfacing for another 8 months? Is the family notified?

Do you mean if someone dies onboard?? That's pretty damn rare.

EDIT: for that^^^ one, refer to IPA4Me's answer.

If a family member dies, it's each man's personal decision to be notified underway or not (check yes or no on pre-underway paperwork). So if someone doesn't want to know, and the Radioman get's a message about it, he has to go the whole underway looking at that guy, knowing something terrible that he can't tell him. Not kidding.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:26:25 PM by cDubya »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »

Do you mean if someone dies onboard?? That's pretty damn rare.

EDIT: for that^^^ one, refer to IPA4Me's answer.

If a family member dies, it's each man's personal decision to be notified underway or not (check yes or no on pre-underway paperwork). So if someone doesn't want to know, and the Radioman get's a message about it, he has to go the whole underway looking at that guy, knowing something terrible that he can't tell him. Not kidding.
Both. Somebody on board and somebody back home. You kind of answered both.

Also, "the whole underway" :love: :love: :love:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:49 PM »
Someone use "underway" in a sexual context, please.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 10, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Someone use "underway" in a sexual context, please.

Family site?  :dunno:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »
Man I would totally yell ahoy and yo ho a rough ridin' lot

"Set the bow planes, yo ho bitches"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:10:20 PM by kslim »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
Can you imagine if you were EMAW, you were down there all of 2012-2013 and you emerged to get #Titletown'd right in your head?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Can you imagine if you were EMAW, you were down there all of 2012-2013 and you emerged to get #Titletown'd right in your head?
this basically happened to me not on a sub but the same thing

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »
"So there we were, ya know, and the rough ridin' phone rings..."

"Well did you answer it?"

"Hellz no brah, we were already underway."

:fatty:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

Your life is amazing

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »

Your life is amazing
yeah not so much, and I think you know better. Worst night of my life was the flight back and finding out we lost to Baylor but yeah back to subs

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »

Your life is amazing
yeah not so much, and I think you know better. Worst night of my life was the flight back and finding out we lost to Baylor but yeah back to subs

I meant the whole Titletown experience. 

Like a full year and you meet your wife at the dock and she is like "yeah, Cats won the big 12 in football.....and basketball.....and baseball.....it's the greatest athletic achievement in conference history"

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
and then you want to one-up her with your launching a whole bunch of poop out through a torpedo tube while you were in north korean waters, but you have to just sit there and  :zip:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
and then you want to one-up her with your launching a whole bunch of poop out through a torpedo tube while you were in north korean waters, but you have to just sit there and  :zip:

No poop through the torpedo tubes, but doing it wouldn't be a :zip: move.
You could totally show her ass up!

Sorry, didn't mean to mess up your #Titletown wet dream.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
 :lol:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
Here's a pretty good "article" a buddy just sent me. Yes, it's on Cracked.com, but it's good, I assure you.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20871_6-things-movies-dont-show-you-about-life-submarine.html?page=full

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
Why does it take so many people to run a submarine?  Should be possible with a crew of 12, IMO.

British boats are much more automated than ours.  Their engineering watch is something like 3 or 4 watchstanders and from their version of maneuvering, they can pretty much dial up any plant parameter and view the reading from there.  Something all the nukes dream of on a US boat.  I've been aboard England's version of the Trident and it's crazy.  They have carpeting and tiled ceilings around the ship.

However, while their stuff might be pretty slick, our boats are much more durable with less digital things to break.  If you ever go tour one of the ex-navy ship turned museum at various places around the country and can get to the engineroom, you are pretty much looking at what the modern day sub engineroom looks like.  Not that much has changed.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Does anyone ever get on the PA and say something like "hey guys we have some leftover pizza in the armory if anybody wants some" and then there's a mad shuffle to the armory enough so that the boat starts to lean a little bit and when everyone gets there there's some mother rough rider smiling with pizza crumbs all over his face and a big JK LOL sign?

Groups of guys moving around the boat can definitely affect the trim.  It's one of the things folks like to do for newly qualified Dive Officers.  One of the things that we always will do every watch is to get a perfect trim (the boat is neutrally buoyant with zero angle on the ship) at 3 knots (which is very slow).  We do this to make sure if we have to go to periscope depth in a hurry, we have a reasonably good idea of the trim so the Dive knows how much water to bring on.  This ensures the boat doesn't accidentally broach in places that aren't welcoming to a nuclear sub in their midst...

So, while newly qualified Dives are trying to do this, some of their "buddies" will go to the front end of the boat and wait.  The Dive sees the front end is heavy, so pumps water aft.  While that's going on, the guys all move aft.  Now, the boat is heavy aft and the Dive has to pump fwd.  Rinse and repeat.

These are the types of hilarious hi jinks you come up with on Day 70 of a patrol...
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »
how often do you surface and get some fresh air?

Rarely.  We would try and surface once a patrol once the mission was complete, but that's about it and only because the CO liked it.  We did try and go to PD at least once a watch.  While at PD, you can raise a mast and ventilate the ship if conditions support.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
Who is it that locks the hatches and hits the bar? I partied with a group of sailors in Halifax. Nobody was standing watch while in port. Shutdown, grab your gear, and lock the hatch.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »
A term to note here is "patrol", a term that only boomer guys use. Boomers go on patrol, and fast attacks go on missions, or simply "underways".

Not a dig on one or the other, just a difference in lingo even within the submarine community.

The more you know...

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »
uh, dig or not, missions sound way rough ridin' cooler than "patrols".  "patrols" sound like some some lame walk around city park.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite