Author Topic: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff  (Read 57174 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: people talk about atheletes and student loan stuff
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
The ruling states that they are employees of the school, so I would assume that all of there compensation will be subject to the same income taxes as any other university employee. They will need to be patriotic and pay their fair share. IRS will be all over this.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »

Players unionize

DERBY, Kan. - 
The National Labor Relations Board in the Chicago district ruled in favor of Northwestern University football players who want to unionize and be considered university employees.

Former Kansas State Wildcat Brandon Clark says it's nothing new for college athletes to consider whether they should get paid for playing.

"There are a lot of hours that get put in behind the scenes," Clark says.  "We probably talked about when we were young, but we were young."

But that's what the Northwestern players asked for and got.

"The goal is to get the players a voice," former Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter says.  "We don't have a voice--it's a dictatorship where everything is put on us without our input."

The players say their main concerns are medical coverage even for former players, better concussion prevention, higher graduation rates and compensation for commercial sponsorships.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2014, 09:42:08 PM »
Not unionized,  but plenty of kids are employed by the uni.

If you work as a student, you will get a W-2 from the university, and therefore be expected to pay taxes, or at least file them.

Yes, but a kid on a full ride that also empties trash cans in Bluemont Hall doesn't declare his scholarship, just his trashcan earnings(not Jamar related).

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »

If you work as a student, you will get a W-2 from the university, and therefore be expected to pay taxes, or at least file them.

Yes, but a kid on a full ride that also empties trash cans in Bluemont Hall doesn't declare his scholarship, just his trashcan earnings(not Jamar related).

Yeah. Football players and other athletes wouldn't have to declare their scholarships. They would probably have to declare their stipends, though.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
Another opinion from a college football player.

These athletes are on a complete meal plan.  Someone who knows better than I do, how could they have "hungry nights"?? I'm trying to quantify what even one meal might cost.  A loaf of bread and some peanut butter and a bunch of bananas.  That could last you four meals and that's what? Five dollars?

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »

Yeah. Football players and other athletes wouldn't have to declare their scholarships. They would probably have to declare their stipends, though.

Can it still be considered a scholarship if they are employees of the school, or is it simply compensation for employment?

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

These athletes are on a complete meal plan.  Someone who knows better than I do, how could they have "hungry nights"?? I'm trying to quantify what even one meal might cost.  A loaf of bread and some peanut butter and a bunch of bananas.  That could last you four meals and that's what? Five dollars?
  Training table.  :Woohoo:

Coach: "Hello, Johnny Recruit.  Did you know these other schools' players have Hungry Nights?  Have you heard of that?  They don't have any FOOD!  Well, don't you worry: at K-State we'll make sure you have food to eat."

Offline CattDizzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

Coach: "Hello, Johnny Recruit.  Did you know these other schools' players have Hungry Nights?  Have you heard of that?  They don't have any FOOD!  Well, don't you worry: at K-State we'll make sure you have food to eat."

Training table closes at 6:30pm and studay hall starts at 7pm...  This is all after athletes spent the rest of the day at practice, lifting, flim and oh yeah class.  Ofcourse they deserve to get paid.  The child of a faculty member gets to go to school for free.  That person is not bringing in one dime!!!  The only reason KSU can afford to pay its coaches is because we pay to see the players play. 

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »

Training table closes at 6:30pm and studay hall starts at 7pm...  This is all after athletes spent the rest of the day at practice, lifting, flim and oh yeah class.  Ofcourse they deserve to get paid.  The child of a faculty member gets to go to school for free.  That person is not bringing in one dime!!!  The only reason KSU can afford to pay its coaches is because we pay to see the players play.

I worked at Derby Dining Center in college.  I saw the platters the football players were eating from compared to the usual plates the rest of the students used.  Everyone has time constraints, surely the AD is allowing athletes time to eat.  I'm not arguing that players don't deserve to get paid.  Also, children of faculty members is a job benefit for the faculty member.  I could make the same argument about Tate getting an athletic scholarship.

Offline CattDizzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »

I worked at Derby Dining Center in college.  I saw the platters the football players were eating from compared to the usual plates the rest of the students used.  Everyone has time constraints, surely the AD is allowing athletes time to eat.  I'm not arguing that players don't deserve to get paid.  Also, children of faculty members is a job benefit for the faculty member.  I could make the same argument about Tate getting an athletic scholarship.

Good points..  Lets try it this way.  Who do you think finacially benefited the most Collin Klein or KSU athletics?  Im sure he would trade his schoolie and Derby meals for a fair share of that BCS money.  Every adult involved are gettin paid handsomely while he visits the training room.  Half those injuries have not even caught up to him yet.   

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »

Good points..  Lets try it this way.  Who do you think finacially benefited the most Collin Klein or KSU athletics?  Im sure he would trade his schoolie and Derby meals for a fair share of that BCS money.  Every adult involved are gettin paid handsomely while he visits the training room.  Half those injuries have not even caught up to him yet.

Have you ever benefited more financially than your employer at any job you have ever worked?

Offline CattDizzle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »

Have you ever benefited more financially than your employer at any job you have ever worked?

Klein was not and employee!!!  Right??? 

He should have been!!!

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
no one is making these athletes suffer through hungry nights or stick through long practices.  they are free to go and leave their education behind, or not take the deal at all. if kids will leave, 100 more will be clamoring to fill their place. supply demand, free market, etc.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
no one is making these athletes suffer through hungry nights or stick through long practices.  they are free to go and leave their education behind, or not take the deal at all. if kids will leave, 100 more will be clamoring to fill their place. supply demand, free market, etc.

Except it's not.

:facepalm:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »
Serious question, do any other minor leagues have unions?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
 :curse:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »

Good point.  Coach Briles said that RGIII was worth about 30 million in value he brought to Baylor.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »

NCAA, Big 12, other conferences sued over scholarship value

by The Associated Press

Former WVU football player Shawne Alston is only plaintiff

Former West Virginia football player Shawne Alston sued the NCAA and five major conferences Wednesday, saying they violated antitrust laws by agreeing to cap the value of an athletic scholarship at less than the actual cost of attending school.

Attorneys Steve Berman and oscar Simon, who have been involved in cases challenging the NCAA’s ability to sell college athletes’ likeness to video-game makers, filed the proposed class-action lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco.

Alston, a running back for West Virginia from 2009-12, is the only named plaintiff. The lawsuit also seeks to represent all scholarship football players who have played since February 2010 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern Conference.

“We just received a copy of the complaint and are evaluating it as it relates to similar cases filed by the very same plaintiffs’ counsel,” NCAA chief legal officer Donald Remy said in a statement.

The lawsuits said players essentially work full-time football jobs while they go to school.

“The NCAA and Power Conference Defendants have studied and acknowledged that a so-called ‘full ride’ scholarship does not cover the full cost of attending school,” the lawsuit said. “Athletes are often a few thousand dollars short for the typical expenses of a student. These costs include money for gas, food, and other necessities. While players scrimp, coaches and universities most certainly do not. The average salary for major college football coaches is over $2 million, with some coaches earning over $7 million.”

Alston had to take out a $5,500 loan to cover the difference between his scholarship and actual costs of attendance, the lawsuit said. It said if a free market existed in major-college football, cost of attendance, and possibly more, would be included in a scholarship.

The lawsuit asks that the NCAA and the five conferences discontinue the practice of not including the actual cost of attendance in scholarships. It also asks for members of the class to receive damages in the amount of the difference between the value of their scholarships and their actual costs of attendance.

The NCAA and other power brokers already are facing challenges to the traditional model of college athletics.

Two weeks ago, the National Labor Relations Board met in Chicago to hear a request from Northwestern University football players to form what would be the first college athletes’ union in U.S. history. Attorneys suggested that the highly regimented structure of football at Northwestern, and the tight control of players’ daily lives, essentially make it a business, and the relationship of the school to the players was one of an employer to employee.

Also last month, a federal judge in Oakland, Calif., ruled former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon’s class-action lawsuit against the NCAA would go to trial barring a settlement. O’Bannon’s case asks the NCAA to share with college athletes the hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue generated from the use of their likeness in video games and other media.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2014, 12:37:28 AM »
They're battling in courtrooms, and could one day meet over a bargaining table. About the only things the two sides in the debate over big-time college athletics agree on is that things are changing.

Schools bringing in hundreds of millions in television contracts. Coaches making kind of salaries that the late UCLA legend John Wooden wouldn't recognize. Athletes insisting on rights, if not outright cash.

SN's Matt Hayes: Pay for play money grab hurts players

And now a union for football players at Northwestern that would previously have been unthinkable in college sports.

A ruling that the Northwestern football team can bargain with the school as employees represented by a union may not by itself change the way amateur sports operate. But it figures to put more pressure on the NCAA and the major conferences to give something back to the players to justify the billions of dollars the players bring in — and never see.

MORE: The ruling that started it all | Former college player begs to differ

"While improvements need to be made, we do not need to completely throw away a system that has helped literally millions of students over the past decade alone attend college," The NCAA said in a statement.

There's huge money at stake — nearly $18 billion alone just in television rights for the NCAA basketball tournament and bowl games. Already fighting a flurry of antitrust lawsuits challenging its control of college athletics, the NCAA can't afford too many more defeats.

"This is a colossal victory for student athletes coming on the heels of their recent victories," said Marc Edelman, an associate professor of law at City University of New York who specializes in sports and antitrust law. "It seems not only the tide of public sentiment but also the tide of legal rulings has finally turned in the direction of college athletes and against the NCAA."

For the NCAA, the timing of a National Labor Relations Board opinion allowing a union at Northwestern couldn't have been worse. In the middle of a tournament that earns schools close to $1 billion a year, it is being taken to task not only for not paying players, but for not ensuring their health and future welfare.

Add in revelations like Florida coach Billy Donovan's new $3.7 million-a-year contract and the $18,000 bonus that Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith got for one of the school's wrestlers winning an NCAA title, and some are frustrated with the NCAA's contention that everything it does is done for the benefit of athletes who play for the glory of their school.

"Fifty years ago the NCAA invented the term student-athlete to try and make sure this day never came," said Ramogi Huma, a former UCLA linebacker and the designated president of Northwestern's would-be football players' union. "Northwestern players who stood up for their rights took a giant step for justice. It's going to set a precedent for college players across the nation to do the same."

Players union (AP Photo)

The players currently at Northwestern may have already graduated by the time the team gets a chance to bargain — if it ever does.

According to federal law, Northwestern football players have 30 days from Wednesday's decision to vote on whether to authorize the College Athletes Players Association, or CAPA, to represent them. But Northwestern is expected to appeal the landmark ruling to the National Labor Relations Board by an April 9 deadline, potentially stalling the union vote. The NCAA is also likely to continue to fight the description of college athletes as employees.

"We frequently hear from student-athletes, across all sports, that they participate to enhance their overall college experience and for the love of their sport, not to be paid," the NCAA said in a statement.

It was that love of the sport that drew outgoing Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter — as well as a scholarship worth up to about $75,000 annually. But Colter, backed by lawyers with the United Steelworkers union, began the union push after growing disenchanted with the time demands placed on him in football that forced him to drop his plans to go to medical school.

Colter also worried about the long-term health risks of football long after players have left school. Players have said they want more research into concussions and other traumatic injuries and insurance and guarantees that they will be covered for medical issues later in life. They also want money for continuing education and for schools to offer four-year scholarship deals instead of year-to-year pacts.

"If we are making sacrifices like we are, we should have these basic protections taken care of," Colter told ESPN. "With the sacrifices we make athletically, medically and with our bodies, we need to be taken care of."

One day that could mean money, over and above the $2,000 extra annual stipend that NCAA president Mark Emmert proposed but failed to get implemented over the objections of small-budget schools. There's plenty to go around, with a $10.6 billion contract for television rights to the NCAA basketball tournament and a recent $7.2 billion deal for football bowl games.

The NLRB ruling described how the life of a Northwestern football player is far more regimented than that of a typical student, down to requirements about what they can eat and whether they can live off campus or purchase a car. At times, players put 50 or 60 hours a week into football, the ruling said, qualifying them to be treated as employees of the university and eligible for a union.

By itself, the ruling could be little more than an irritant to private universities and the NCAA. But combined with the antitrust lawsuits — one filed just last week by a prominent attorney called the organization an "unlawful cartel" — they present a clear challenge to the unique way college sports operates.

The model of coaches and administrators making millions while the athletes providing the labor are paid in room and board and books is one that could be difficult to defend in court.

One of those suits, filed by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon, is scheduled for trial June 9 in California and is being carefully watched by those on both sides of the issue. O'Bannon, who led his team to the national championship in 1995, sued after seeing his likeness in a video game licensed by the NCAA without his permission.

''It's never been about monetary gain," O'Bannon told The Associated Press earlier this week. "It's all about changing the rules and making sure the players, both present and former, are represented as well."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »
The writing is on the wall.  Pro Sports Farm System(NCAA) is going to have to share some of the big money they are making.  You do know the NCAA was and is formed and represented by University Presidents.  They're not there for the benefit of the athletes.  Only those that are very naïve would think otherwise. 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2014, 03:01:13 AM »
The writing is on the wall.  Pro Sports Farm System(NCAA) is going to have to share some of the big money they are making.  You do know the NCAA was and is formed and represented by University Presidents.  They're not there for the benefit of the athletes.  Only those that are very naïve would think otherwise.

It's becoming clearer and clearer

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
MORE NEWS.

COURT BATTLE POSSIBLE

The NLRB's deliberations over Northwestern's appeal could take months, including hearings and a vote by the board. If Northwestern loses before the full NLRB, it could take its case to federal court.

If the school refused to recognize any union approved by a vote of the players, the NLRB, which does not have enforcement powers, likewise could turn to a federal court under U.S. labor law.

Such obstacles virtually ensure that college sports will not be upended overnight by Ohr's decision. But in the near term, analysts say, the decision is likely to put more pressure on the NCAA to change some of its policies, including whether to offer athletes some compensation beyond their scholarships.

The Ohr decision "will put additional pressure on the NCAA to change its rules with regard to what compensation and monies can be paid to student athletes," said Joseph Farelli, a New York-based labor and employment attorney at Pitta & Giblin.

The NCAA, based in Indianapolis, already is facing questions about the adequacy of its safety protections for athletes, and discontent with rules that allow the association and its member schools to make huge profits while barring players from doing the same.

BIG BUSINESS

Northwestern's football program generated revenue of $235 million and expenses of $159 million from 2003 to 2012, according to its report to the U.S. Department of Education.

In his 24-page decision, Ohr detailed his reasons for ruling that Northwestern could be considered an employer of its roughly 85 scholarship football players. Ohr focused particularly on the restrictions the school places on players, and the time they spend on team duties compared with the time they spend doing school work.

When they agree to play for the Wildcats, Ohr noted, football recruits get a "tender" that details the terms of their scholarship offer. Outside employment, social media use and behavior are restricted. Violations can result in suspension or dismissal from the team.

Players spend 40 to 50 hours a week during the regular season practicing, playing and traveling to games, and receive scholarship assistance worth about $61,000 per year, Ohr noted.

"Not only is this more hours than many undisputed full-time employees work at their jobs, it is also many more hours than the players spend on their studies," Ohr wrote.

Ohr's conclusion may bolster nearly identical arguments made in lawsuits pending against the NCAA.

A proposed class-action anti-trust lawsuit filed last week in federal court accuses the NCAA of colluding to deprive university athletes of earning more from their sports than the value of their scholarships. Another lawsuit challenging a rule that bars players from earning money from the use of their images is expected to go to trial later this year.

Under U.S. President Barack Obama, the NLRB's board is controlled by Democrats, the political party more closely aligned with organized labor - a factor that could weigh in the Northwestern players' favor. The congressional elections in November will not change the board's makeup.

The NLRB supervises union elections and polices unfair labor practices in private-sector workplaces. Labor relations in government workplaces - including those in state-backed universities that make up the vast majority of the 120 or so schools with major football programs - are covered by separate federal and state laws not administered by the NLRB.

So Ohr's decision, even if it is upheld, would apply only to Northwestern and the 16 other private universities with major sports programs. Even so, public universities are keeping a close watch on what happens in the Northwestern case.

(Reporting by Amanda Becker in Washington; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh, David Lindsey and Lisa Shumaker)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
College football players have at least one influential supporter in Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who told The Washington Post, "Of course they should be able to organize. The way these people are treated by the NCAA and the universities themselves is really unpardonable, and I wish them well. I'll do anything I can to help."

Source: ESPN.com