Author Topic: Schlitterbahn  (Read 69132 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Schlitterbahn
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
It doesn’t matter if they designed it to kill someone or not. That literally has nothing to do with anything in this specific case. They were negligent in designing it, their intend has exactly 0% to do with what is going on. I mean is that seriously an argument that is being brought up right now?
Not surprised that TBT is wrong on multiple accounts, here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
*with respect to the murder charge (for reasons that are probably not of general interest)

The Big Train

« Reply #527 on: March 28, 2018, 08:16:32 PM »
It doesn’t matter if they designed it to kill someone or not. That literally has nothing to do with anything in this specific case. They were negligent in designing it, their intend has exactly 0% to do with what is going on. I mean is that seriously an argument that is being brought up right now?
Not surprised that TBT is wrong on multiple accounts, here.

Probably in a legality light some of those things matter.  The whole argument Wacky just posted is absolutely astonishing.  IMO.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
Murder is weird, but maybe it's the same as negligent homicide in Kansas, I dunno. Manslaughter at the least seems appropriate.
:adios:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
I obviously think jail time is weird, but I don't really understand how these things work. Do you guys think they designed this thing to kill someone? I just find it weird someone is going to jail for trying to create a fun water park for ppl and now they're in jail with real killers. Do you guys think that guy who jumped from a roller coaster because a snake fell in his seat at worlds of fun should ask for the creator of that ride be put in jail because they didn't create a shield for snakes falling in the ride?

I'll ask again...what should happen to them wacks?  You've spoken out against jail and monetary damages.....maybe they should just say they are really sorry and let this thing go?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 28, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
I suppose I should clarify where I stand. I feel that civil penalties are sufficient to deter future conduct. While you could make a colorable argument that the conduct fits one of the definitions of second degree murder in Kansas, it doesn't seem to me to jive with the spirit of the law. I don't like the fact that the family is availed of extraordinary measures simply due to their political position. I don't take issue with every single criminal charge, but at the very least, the murder charge has me very side-eye-y.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 28, 2018, 08:38:47 PM »
yeah 2nd degree murder only seems like a charge because of the dad's position in gov't...and didn't his dad vote to ease these regulations?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 28, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
yeah 2nd degree murder only seems like a charge because of the dad's position in gov't...and didn't his dad vote to ease these regulations?
He voted on a bill to cap non-economic tort damages at 300,000 dollars, then turned around and settled for 20M.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 28, 2018, 09:47:35 PM »
I don’t think it’s crazy for people to be expecting criminal charges here. We all have seen folks like Bernie Madoff or the Pharma guy (Skreli?) get put in jail for a long time for screwing people out of their money. If these guys really did knowingly build a death trap and then convince people to ride it so they could get rich, it sure seems like they should suffer at least the same fate.

Haven’t read the statutes but I’ve got to imagine this kind of reckless attitude toward safety (again, if the risks really were as apparent as people now seem to think) is sufficient for some kind of manslaughter charge.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 28, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
And for the JV lawyers, I don’t know how in the world you could prove pain & suffering damages on a class-wide basis.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 28, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
You couldn't. It would need to be more like a mass action (think: Mesothelioma or drug injury cases) than a class action. Plus, Kansas requires proof of actual injury if proceeding on a theory of negligent infliction of emotional distress. And it excludes PTSD-type diagnoses from those injuries. In short, Kansas is not very friendly to tort victims.

That said, any family members who witnessed this catastrophe do have a potential claim (But ironically their damages are capped at $300K due to the aforementioned bill voted on by the father).

The Big Train

« Reply #536 on: March 28, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
What constitutes a class/mass action suit to begin with?  I mean there are a relative(strictly how many injuries per total riders) small amount of people affected, and only the people there to witness the actual death result.  I guess I think of class/mass action as more than one site, plus a larger group of people.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 28, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
Making late night house calls!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 28, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »

What constitutes a class/mass action suit to begin with?  I mean there are a relative(strictly how many injuries per total riders) small amount of people affected, and only the people there to witness the actual death result.  I guess I think of class/mass action as more than one site, plus a larger group of people.

I don't think many people are interested in my response to this, but if you genuinely are, feel free to slide in my DMs.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »
I mean that is borderline sub 70 IQ logic
if someone is questioning your expertise is sub human and dumb than eff human kind. I'm legit trying to get to reason here. I had to handle for profit for education questions many times without judging a persons IQ. Sorry your craft is being judged right now. Grow up.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:52 PM »
Also, eff off.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 28, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
I obviously think jail time is weird, but I don't really understand how these things work. Do you guys think they designed this thing to kill someone? I just find it weird someone is going to jail for trying to create a fun water park for ppl and now they're in jail with real killers. Do you guys think that guy who jumped from a roller coaster because a snake fell in his seat at worlds of fun should ask for the creator of that ride be put in jail because they didn't create a shield for snakes falling in the ride?

I'll ask again...what should happen to them wacks?  You've spoken out against jail and monetary damages.....maybe they should just say they are really sorry and let this thing go?
You should probably give up KC reviews for punishment

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 28, 2018, 10:31:49 PM »
if someone is questioning your expertise is sub human and dumb than eff human kind. I'm legit trying to get to reason here. I had to handle for profit for education questions many times without judging a persons IQ. Sorry your craft is being judged right now. Grow up.
I also judge double majors. Sack up and pick something already or declare a major.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #543 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:00 PM »
Merking?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 28, 2018, 11:37:59 PM »
Sorry your craft is being judged right now. Grow up.

blockchain didn't kill that kid

The Big Train

« Reply #545 on: March 29, 2018, 07:12:12 AM »
I also judge double majors. Sack up and pick something already or declare a major.

:confused:

So you judge people who want to obtain more knowledge?  Seems weird.  My craft isn’t being questioned, I don’t do structural or mechanical engineering.  I just think saying someone should be absolved of everything because they just wanted to create a fun water park is pretty simplistic reasoning.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »

:confused:

So you judge people who want to obtain more knowledge?  Seems weird.  My craft isn’t being questioned, I don’t do structural or mechanical engineering.  I just think saying someone should be absolved of everything because they just wanted to create a fun water park is pretty simplistic reasoning.
I have the utmost respect for double majors because I know that I couldn't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »

Live ride safety boundary test subjects.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 29, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
I just find it weird someone is going to jail for trying to create a fun water park for ppl and now they're in jail with real killers.

He's not going to jail for trying to create a fun water park ride for people.  He's going to jail for showing a pretty blatant disregard if those people live or not.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2018, 09:00:34 AM »
I suppose I should clarify where I stand. I feel that civil penalties are sufficient to deter future conduct. While you could make a colorable argument that the conduct fits one of the definitions of second degree murder in Kansas, it doesn't seem to me to jive with the spirit of the law. I don't like the fact that the family is availed of extraordinary measures simply due to their political position. I don't take issue with every single criminal charge, but at the very least, the murder charge has me very side-eye-y.
Kansas' second degree murder statute is fairly standard in that it provides for an unintentional killing with an extreme indifference to the value of human life.

I'm not sure that the his dad's political status has much to do with the prosecutor's decision.  It's a gruesome and horrifically tragic episode -- a final destination movie come to life.  Anytime a child's head gets lopped off at an amusement park, it's going to be a pretty emotional case, no matter who the kid's dad is.  The community wants retribution for this, and given that the conduct (arguably) fits the second degree murder elements, I don't have a problem with the charge.  I also wouldn't have a problem if the guy gets acquitted.

No doubt the prosecutor swung for the fences -- and the case is far from a slam dunk.  It'll be interesting to see if a plea deal happens.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]