Author Topic: Schlitterbahn  (Read 66653 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Schlitterbahn
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
That's a fat joke!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »
Regardless of where the bigger people sit and if that was a factor, a person of any weight shouldn't be able to fly out of their seat. Ever.

Yeah. This ride should have just been torn down and forgotten about way back when it was first built and test rafts were flying off the track.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Regardless of where the bigger people sit and if that was a factor, a person of any weight shouldn't be able to fly out of their seat. Ever.

Yeah. This ride should have just been torn down and forgotten about way back when it was first built and test rafts were flying off the track.

Honestly, at the time I thought that was all part of the hype/PR/advertising for the ride. By "letting that info get out", they were only building up the ride and I thought "no way can this thing really be this dangerous, that would never be allowed to happen".

I guess I was way wrong on that one.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »
If this is truly due to all the weight being center and to the back, whoever "engineered" it better already be out of the country.

Some engineer put their PE stamp on it, and he/she is mumped if the staff did their part in getting the right weight range on board.

False. The only PE stamps required for stuff like this (in KS at least - California, Ohio and Florida might have different requirements based on the density of parks) are the structural engineer, civil engineer and the MEP engineer. The structural engineer holds no liability for the operation of the ride, just the structural soundness of the physical ride itself. Did the ride topple over and fall to the ground? No.

These attractions hire a firm to design the rides, but they often times aren't licensed professional engineers due to the (somewhat) loose restrictions on designing rides. Most of the rides in the US are all designed by the same 2 or 3 firms. I've had to deal with them before on certain projects i've been associated with.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
That makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »
i'm not sure what kind of engineer would stamp the "engineering" that emo emaw is talking about. certainly not the structural engineer.

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
If this is truly due to all the weight being center and to the back, whoever "engineered" it better already be out of the country.

Some engineer put their PE stamp on it, and he/she is mumped if the staff did their part in getting the right weight range on board.

False. The only PE stamps required for stuff like this (in KS at least - California, Ohio and Florida might have different requirements based on the density of parks) are the structural engineer, civil engineer and the MEP engineer. The structural engineer holds no liability for the operation of the ride, just the structural soundness of the physical ride itself. Did the ride topple over and fall to the ground? No.

These attractions hire a firm to design the rides, but they often times aren't licensed professional engineers due to the (somewhat) loose restrictions on designing rides. Most of the rides in the US are all designed by the same 2 or 3 firms. I've had to deal with them before on certain projects i've been associated with.

Can confirm. As a structural engineer I've done structural design for a couple of the major players in the aquatics industry. Ride path design for your run-of-the-mill slide is not done by an engineer at all. Most of the design is done by a designer doing a 3D model of the slide based on that company's catalog of slide parts. It's a fairly empirical process.They know the total elevation drop and keep the slope of the slide within a certain range. Never, ever stamped a drawing with ride path design on it. Having worked with a certain infamous family of water parks, I never knew them to use one of the major slide designers for their slides. The same company often bought previously used "ordinary" slides. The most northern location for this company did an expansion and the slide fiberglass and platform came from a defunct water park in a city known for gambling.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
i'm not sure what kind of engineer would stamp the "engineering" that emo emaw is talking about. certainly not the structural engineer.

I was thinking a mechanical engineer.  But, it's not like an electrial engineer can't stamp a drawing for an HVAC system or something (a PE is a PE is a PE).

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
I am sure mech stamps for pump design, etc, but still not for ride purposes.   Just that the volume, pressure, etc will be whatever rates they were asked to design to.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
I was thinking that surely someone would require a PE stamp to make this thing go live, be it regulatory or insurance or something.  I thought wrong apparently (which is pretty scary).

The Big Train

« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
gE should have been consulted on this thing, our ~10 residents PE's would have thrown this thing to the curb before they even bought materials

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »

I was thinking a mechanical engineer.  But, it's not like an electrial engineer can't stamp a drawing for an HVAC system or something (a PE is a PE is a PE).

no MEP engineer would stamp somebody else's ride design drawings tho.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »
the worst case risk scenario for an MEP engineer would go from "it's a little hot in here" or "it's a little dim in this room" to "people may die"

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »

no MEP engineer would stamp somebody else's ride design drawings tho.

I was thinking a mechanical engineer would design the ride and stamp his own design.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 19, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »

Fluid Dynamics Engineer, obv.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 19, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
Why is mocat confusing mechanical engineer with MEP?  Does he not recognize a difference?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
How's business out there?

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
Why is mocat confusing mechanical engineer with MEP?  Does he not recognize a difference?

bc you brought up HVAC

The Big Train

« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »

Fluid Dynamics Engineer, obv.

Smdhmdh

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »

bc you brought up HVAC

Not specific to this issue, it was as an example.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Sounds like some of you need to get back to Durand.

The Big Train

« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »

:confused:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »

Durland? No idea where you engineering brains studied

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »

Fiedler I think? I don't know, my memory is all fuzzy after spending six years breathing in asbestos over in Willard.

The Big Train

« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »

Fiedler I think? I don't know, my memory is all fuzzy after spending six years breathing in asbestos over in Willard.

Fiedler is the library and Rathbone is the other building beside Durland.  Just FYI