Author Topic: What a guy our old FRANK is!  (Read 30310 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: What a guy our old FRANK is!
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
Also, what is obvious. It was easier to lose under Frank cause he was entertaining and he was the best we have had in a LONG time. oscar is a goof, so he's easier to point fingers at, due to past history, but doesn't get the pat on the back like Frank did, do to his perception.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:10:00 PM by WackySquawk08 »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
I feel bad for the guy. Honestly. He won the lottery at K-State and blew it. Yes, it was largely because of his ego and ridiculous pride, but I'm still sad for him.

And I think that recruiting class looks pretty good? :dunno:

Yeah, he probably will still be okay. His best player is the freshman kid and a couple other freshman are pretty good.

I am surprised that his defense has been below average. And while his teams fouled a lot here, SC is giving up a FT rate of 60% for the season (and 78.2% in 5 SEC games!). That's just crazy fouling.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
I feel bad for the guy. Honestly. He won the lottery at K-State and blew it. Yes, it was largely because of his ego and ridiculous pride, but I'm still sad for him.

Yeah, he probably will still be okay. His best player is the freshman kid and a couple other freshman are pretty good.

I am surprised that his defense has been below average. And while his teams fouled a lot here, SC is giving up a FT rate of 60% for the season (and 78.2% in 5 SEC games!). That's just crazy fouling.
His team have never been great at on ball defending.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »

What does "okay" mean?  He's in year 2 and his program is the worst in the SEC.  I look at a 14-team SEC where maybe 4-5 teams will go to the NCAA and I don't see any way SoCar is NCAA bound in the next 2-3 years.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But, I wouldn't consider a possible NIT bid in year 3 and and NCAA bid in year 5 to be OK.  I think he's in trouble, his only saving grace being the fact that SoCar gives zero shits about basketball.   

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »

His team have never been great at on ball defending.

Yes and no. His defense weren't ever designed to be "sound" in containing ball handlers, they are designed to overwhelm and frustrate (and they were really good at it). I wrote about it several years ago: http://goEMAW.com/blog/?p=1786

What does "okay" mean?  He's in year 2 and his program is the worst in the SEC.  I look at a 14-team SEC where maybe 4-5 teams will go to the NCAA and I don't see any way SoCar is NCAA bound in the next 2-3 years.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But, I wouldn't consider a possible NIT bid in year 3 and and NCAA bid in year 5 to be OK.  I think he's in trouble, his only saving grace being the fact that SoCar gives zero shits about basketball.   

I think the switch could flip and he could be .500 (or better) in the SEC next year and an NIT team (at minimum). Then a really good team 2 years from now and in the NCAA tornament.

But what you said could happen too, I just don't think its over for him yet.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
Looks like a guy that just pushed his hand all in and lost to some dork. That dork being oscar. #emaw He should probably take up drinking again. Honeymoon period is over. :frown:

Illinois lost to oscar and Frank lost to ADJC.  You gotta keep your dorks and who lost to them straight. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »

I don't think it's over for him either.  I just think the SEC is bad this year and, if your team is the worst of the worst, that's indicative of a larger problem than talent gap.  I can't see a local 4* PG coming in and changing to tide.  who knows.     
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:40:55 AM by Belvis Noland »

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
Who cares?
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
Who cares?

i guess you care.  otherwise, why post in a thread about Frank Martin?   :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »

I don't think it's over for him either.  I just think the SEC is bad this year and, if your team is the worst of the worst, that's indicative of a larger problem than talent gap.  I can't see a local 4* PG coming in and changing to tide.  who knows.     

True, but I remember stretches of seasons where the Cats looked like they would be pretty bad and something clicked and they figured out. Granted, entire seasons like that could become a bigger problem.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Looks like a guy that just pushed his hand all in and lost to some dork. That dork being oscar. #emaw He should probably take up drinking again. Honeymoon period is over. :frown:

Illinois lost to oscar and Frank lost to ADJC.  You gotta keep your dorks and who lost to them straight.
Good point.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »

True, but I remember stretches of seasons where the Cats looked like they would be pretty bad and something clicked and they figured out. Granted, entire seasons like that could become a bigger problem.

There were some stretches over the years.  But, never 7-11, 0-5 with no end in sight.  there are advantages to riding Huggins' coat tails.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »

There were some stretches over the years.  But, never 7-11, 0-5 with no end in sight.  there are advantages to riding Huggins' coat tails.   

I don't think it's a good idea for any coach in a stable position to take for a fired coach unless it's at a blue-blood. Oliver Purnell's another good example of this. We had some pretty good "goodwill bank" discussions.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
Its not even Frankuary yet

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
But seriously I wish Frank would do well. I enjoyed his time with us.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
Frank's only realistic winning opportunities look like Auburn, Alabama, and Vanderbilt.  He has a really good chance of losing all three of those games.  He could go win-less in conference this season and finish with a total of 7 wins, the least amount of wins in 20+ years for USC with the closest being 8 wins in '98-'99 season.  Good coaches find ways to win more than 7 games in a season (especially when they play 32 games not including SEC tournament....and the SEC is a crap conference).  The amount of impact Undy has had on Frank's success is really amazing.  I remember sitting in on a practice a couple years ago and Brad ran the entire thing.  Frank just walked around not saying anything.

I'll admit that I loved Frank and was sad to see him go.  I had no idea how much he relied on his assistants in order to be successful.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Frank's only realistic winning opportunities look like Auburn, Alabama, and Vanderbilt.  He has a really good chance of losing all three of those games.  He could go win-less in conference this season and finish with a total of 7 wins, the least amount of wins in 20+ years for USC with the closest being 8 wins in '98-'99 season.  Good coaches find ways to win more than 7 games in a season (especially when they play 32 games not including SEC tournament....and the SEC is a crap conference).  The amount of impact Undy has had on Frank's success is really amazing.  I remember sitting in on a practice a couple years ago and Brad ran the entire thing.  Frank just walked around not saying anything.

I'll admit that I loved Frank and was sad to see him go.  I had no idea how much he relied on his assistants in order to be successful.   

So it was organized like this?:
Frank - be mean and yell
Brad - Coach Hoops
Dalonte - Recruit
Scott - Beef 'em up

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
I mean I'm sure Underwood is a fine coach, but he was there for Frank's shitshow of a season last year.

The one thing Underwood better than Frank was choose his job - 6 of his top 7 players are returners from a team that won 27 games. Brad's and Frank's records this year are not evidence that Brad is better at coaching, just better at choosing jobs.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Dalonte was under appreciated for is X and Oing. Franks staff is far worse at USCjr then at K-State and it is killing him.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »

So it was organized like this?:
Frank - be mean and yell
Brad - Coach Hoops
Dalonte - Recruit
Scott - Beef 'em up

Until proven otherwise....yes.  I still think we sometimes forget all the recruits Dalonte pulled in and then Frank chased off.  Also everyone knows Brad is the reason we turned the season around a few years ago to continue the tournament streak.  I don't think Frank has anyone on his staff right now that can adapt to the players on the roster.  Good coaches find ways to win with what they have.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Bill Clarahan

• agricultural related person
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »

Huggins always talked about Frank's good coaching as an asst and how he was great at doing the scout, so there's that

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »

Huggins always talked about Frank's good coaching as an asst and how he was great at doing the scout, so there's that

It's called affirmation . . . affirming to to all the hayseeds and powertucks back at your old job that the guy ushered in quickly to hold a recruiting class together really is a good basketball coach.

I personally just got tired of Frank's shtick, his recruiting started to really blow, and all the Frankites who thought calling a timeout to just stare everybody down was cute and endearing, "oh man, Frank was so mad" (fap, fap, fap, fap, fap)

Maybe Frank will turn it around, but the USCe fans I know, who follow ALL their sports are already weary of the guy.   Last night they were a complete defensive $hit show; constantly getting beat off the drive, leaving guys wide open, letting guys work behind them on the baseline with literally no one paying attention to them etc. etc. etc.   Oh yeah, hey good idea Frank, now's a great time to start modifying your system to the new rules . . . coaching genius there.  I mean, hell, they just put in the new rule/points of emphasis, like, last Thursday or something. 

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
Years and years ago, Tex Winter said his one regret in his career was ever leaving KSU.  Not sure why that occurred to me just now, but it did.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
does Frank sucking complete ass make you like John Currie more? like, maybe he knew that Frank wasn't worth a crap at coaching basketball and just saved us from our own stupid selves?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
he should sign up on goEMAW and just rub it in faces. call everyone idiots and flex up massive.