Author Topic: What a guy our old FRANK is!  (Read 32719 times)

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Re: What a guy our old FRANK is!
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »

That's debatable.  Four of K-State's top six players are Frank recruits, and I'd argue that Southwell and Gipson are every bit as valuable to K-State as Marcus Foster.   oscar's first recruiting class is extremely solid, but is it better than potentially retaining Angel Rodriguez and signing Sindarius Thornwell?

6 best players:
1) Foster
2) Gip
3) Southwell
4) Westicles
5) Thomas
6) Sprad/Nino? 

Also, Frank's best player - Angel - transferred.  that's gotta be worth something.
Jevon is the best recruit we have landed since Beasley.  Angel is the 2nd best recruit since Beasley, IMO.

Would take Jevon & Foster over Angel & Thornwell because of longterm value.

Jevon Thomas - 24.8 mpg, 3.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.9 to, 26.7 fg%, 27.8 ft%, 22.2 3pt%

Best since Beasley, eh?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Frank won a lot of games here, and continued to bring in high quality players. Any kind of revisionist nonsense that tries to debate that is rough ridin' dumb. There was nothing that happened while he was here that would indicate that the success wouldn't continue. People try to play up the mutiny rumors, but the reality is that there would have been attrition similar to what we experienced every year, because Frank isn't for everybody. He would have replaced those players with good recruits and we would have kept winning lots of games, like he did his entire time at K-State.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
#1Cat

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »
i'd still bet martin will win more games than kstate does, over the course of years that martin is an ncaa head bball coach.

Really?  Wow.  You know he's already in a 20-game hole (41 wins v. 21 wins)?

he's what, early 50s?  assume he coaches to 65, maybe 70.  not going to strongly react to the first .1 to .13 of results.
"a garden city man wondered in april if the theologians had not made a mistake in locating the garden of eden in asia rather than in the arkansas river valley."

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »

he's what, early 50s?  assume he coaches to 65, maybe 70.  not going to strongly react to the first .1 to .13 of results.

what if he coaches to 80!!  And what if he becomes the next coach at Kentucky!!  He could, in all seriousness, be heralded as one of the best coaches to ever grace the hardwood. 

It's possible, right? 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »
Frank's 47

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
Frank's 47

so, the first two years are even less of a % of the probable total.
"a garden city man wondered in april if the theologians had not made a mistake in locating the garden of eden in asia rather than in the arkansas river valley."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
On the bright side, south carolina would be a pretty sweet place to live if you were rich and unemployed.

Which Frank is soon to be. He set himself up for success/failure. Which ever way you look at it.
@Trogdor_gE

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
The Frankites continue to delude themselves in believing that the trajectory of the basketball program was stable and that NCAA tourney wins were inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
I agree that his choice of job to leave for was extremely dumb. So bad that it could end his head coaching career, at least in a BCS level league.

We could have HC Underwood with AC Frank!

:surprised:

This this the most interesting thing anyone has posted in one of these threads in two years.

We'd need Currie gone, Frank fired, Unds thriving, oscar failing, what else?

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »
I agree that his choice of job to leave for was extremely dumb. So bad that it could end his head coaching career, at least in a BCS level league.

We could have HC Underwood with AC Frank!

:surprised:

This this the most interesting thing anyone has posted in one of these threads in two years.

We'd need Currie gone, Frank fired, Unds thriving, oscar failing, what else?
Huggs retired.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
The Frankites continue to delude themselves in believing that the trajectory of the basketball program was stable and that NCAA tourney wins were inevitable.

Every time I was worried about the state of the program, Frank would pull it together.  Under him, for the most part, an NCAA tournament win was inevitable.  If you want to completely ignore his past results and speculate that would end, fine, but that would be completely ignoring his past results.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »

Every time I was worried about the state of the program, Frank would pull it together.  Under him, for the most part, an NCAA tournament win was inevitable.  If you want to completely ignore his past results and speculate that would end, fine, but that would be completely ignoring his past results.

Also his recruiting was clearly improving as he left, despite the efforts of certain people to make it seem otherwise.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »

Also his recruiting was clearly improving as he left, despite the efforts of certain people to make it seem otherwise.

who's fault was orris?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
The Frankites continue to delude themselves

Dax when you phrase things like this, its obvious your aim is more to insult and get a rise out of certain posters rather than discuss and sway opinion.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
Oh yes Dax, of course, the program was clearly heading in a downward spiral with the team he built winning the big 12 the next year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Yes, clearly his recruiting was improving, I mean the kid couldn't hack it at Fresno State, but he would have an assured stud at K-State.    Odds are he would have been Franked.

Frank's last real recruiting class, 1 really good player, 1 pretty good player, then Omari Lawrence, Jeremy Jones, James Watson and Adrian Diaz.   Yet Frankites are really gonna stick to their "improvement" talking point on recruiting?  6 Tries and he gets 1 good player, 1 decent player?   :lol:

Sinking ship fellas, sorry.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
He wouldn't have won the big 12 with that team because they were all transfering, or did everyone forget that?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
Oh yes Dax, of course, the program was clearly heading in a downward spiral with the team he built winning the big 12 the next year.

Frank wouldn't have won  Big 12 title, he'd have the usual mid-season Frank's mad drama show, where everybody goes out and is afraid to do anything losing streak.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
Hey guys, remember how you get the real recruiting boost in the 2nd class after a really good season.

Asprilla, Myles, Southwell, Spradling, Williams.   :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
18 months into the new job, new AD, already forced to publicly apologize to player(s) and fans.

This isn't rocket surgery kids.

False

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2014/01/21/frank-martin-south-carolina-apologizes-tirade-brenton-williams/4723279/

"South Carolina coach Frank Martin has apologized for a tirade directed at guard Brenton Williams in the first half in the Gamecocks' loss to Mississippi on Saturday.  Martin says he went too far after getting caught up in the moment. Martin also apologized to fans around South Carolina's bench [i.e. powerful boosters] who heard the exchange."

I presume no apology would have been issued, but for the boosters hearing FM trash his player.  I also presume that the upset boosters took their grievance to the AD who, in turn, took action. 

No, I don't have any facts to support this obvious theory.

Well I have facts. No where in that article did it state that he was forced to apologize, Frank said on 810 that no one asked him to apologize, he did it on his own. Next.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
18 months into the new job, new AD, already forced to publicly apologize to player(s) and fans.

This isn't rocket surgery kids.

False

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/sec/2014/01/21/frank-martin-south-carolina-apologizes-tirade-brenton-williams/4723279/

"South Carolina coach Frank Martin has apologized for a tirade directed at guard Brenton Williams in the first half in the Gamecocks' loss to Mississippi on Saturday.  Martin says he went too far after getting caught up in the moment. Martin also apologized to fans around South Carolina's bench [i.e. powerful boosters] who heard the exchange."

I presume no apology would have been issued, but for the boosters hearing FM trash his player.  I also presume that the upset boosters took their grievance to the AD who, in turn, took action. 

No, I don't have any facts to support this obvious theory.

Well I have facts. No where in that article did it state that he was forced to apologize, Frank said on 810 that no one asked him to apologize, he did it on his own.

The same guy who said he never demeans players.   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
Frank's last real recruiting class, 1 really good player, 1 pretty good player, then Omari Lawrence, Jeremy Jones, James Watson and Adrian Diaz.   Yet Frankites are really gonna stick to their "improvement" talking point on recruiting?  6 Tries and he gets 1 good player, 1 decent player?   :lol:

In a single paragraph, you downgraded a "really good player" to a "good player" and a "pretty good player" to a "decent player."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »

In a single paragraph, you downgraded a "really good player" to a "good player" and a "pretty good player" to a "decent player."

Angel was good, and I don't know what to think about Gip, he's either pretty good at times or a complete dumpster fire.

But the point still remains, Frank was recruiting with an Elite 8 Run story gift wrapped for presentation and that's the class he lands.