Author Topic: Can we accept oscar?  (Read 18177 times)

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Can we accept oscar?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 02:40:13 AM »
It's like any coach, if he sustains success he'll become "ours" and we'll grow to love his weird quirks.

Exactly. Crap, everyone hated Snyder 2.0 until 2011 when we magically won 10 games and he was suddenly Scheme Dr. again and not old balls.

People have reactions to things. They're often black & white, gut-shot, emotional reactions. I went extremely negative when oscar was hired. A lot of us thought it was a horrible hire, and below where we felt the program had risen. We also loved Frank.

In time, none of that really matters. We want success, and if the coach that brings us that success has a cool personality or whatever, then that's just gravy. oscar is kind of a kooky dude, but as long as he keeps winning that's cool, and if he wins long and consistently enough he'll be our kooky dude.

Agree with all this and what _Fan said. Dunno, I was so against this hire, but oscar isn't as unrelatable as I thought he would be. Seeing him and Nino share a laugh right before Nino nails 2 free throws to ice a victory over a top 10 team has a way of changing one's perspective.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:30 AM »
I will accept oscar as long as Lowery is always right by his side.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »
I will accept him once he does something in the NCAA Tournament. I still can't get the La Salle loss out of my head yet.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 08:02:58 AM »
I'm starting to like EMAW Hoops again. I don't know what it means to accept oscar.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
I rough ridin' still hate oscar.  I am so conflicted.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 08:27:14 AM »
It's like any coach, if he sustains success he'll become "ours" and we'll grow to love his weird quirks.

Exactly. Crap, everyone hated Snyder 2.0 until 2011 when we magically won 10 games and he was suddenly Scheme Dr. again and not old balls.

People have reactions to things. They're often black & white, gut-shot, emotional reactions. I went extremely negative when oscar was hired. A lot of us thought it was a horrible hire, and below where we felt the program had risen. We also loved Frank.

In time, none of that really matters. We want success, and if the coach that brings us that success has a cool personality or whatever, then that's just gravy. oscar is kind of a kooky dude, but as long as he keeps winning that's cool, and if he wins long and consistently enough he'll be our kooky dude.

Agree with all this and what _Fan said. Dunno, I was so against this hire, but oscar isn't as unrelatable as I thought he would be. Seeing him and Nino share a laugh right before Nino nails 2 free throws to ice a victory over a top 10 team has a way of changing one's perspective.

I don't like Nino.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
I'm still very  :dubious: about oscar.  That was a pretty great win though.   :bball:
@lopakman

Offline Boondock Poonhound

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

Insightful.  Lowery is the defensive motivator. I don't know who is landing these recruits like Foster, Westicles, Thomas, Edwards and Hurt, but somebody is getting them to buy in.  :dunno:
"He's in Shape !"

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
Beating top 10 squads will have me wearing a oscar Weber T-Shirt and sending him Christmas cards (I'll bet he would send one back).

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
I love winning. 

If oscar can win I may not hate him.

btw can we get one of these  :billdance: with oscar clapping like the gif?

tia

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

I don't like Nino.

Nino isn't good but really helped with Southwell in foul trouble.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
Wow.  Nino was very good yesterday.

Offline jasn88cubs

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
oscar is an odd situation because of the way we got him and I can't blame anyone for being cautious for buying in on #bruceketball. And mich is right, its really too early to draw any tangible conclusions on his success; we still remember (and should) the La Salle game and even the NC and Charlotte games this season. However, its also tough not to be happy after a top 10 win and another recent top 25 win while the team is playing its best basketball of the season.

The point about Snyder in this thread is valid as well, we love Snyder because he wins and his bizarro personality (he has to be one of the strangest successful football coaches ever) is just part of it now. Even Frank with his toughness was strange with his constant math teacher comments and tornament and repeated (and repeated) talking points during the season, but we loved him because he won.

If 4 years from now we're looking at 4 straight NCAAs (and a nice run or two) led by oscar's first core class of Foster, Thomas, Westicles, and Johnson we'll eat up all of his weirdness and faces and strange voice. He'll be our weird coach and we'll love him.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
The way it ended at Illinois showed who oscar really is.  In the end oscar really only cared about himself and to a lesser extent his assistants.  It was all about him and not his players and not Illinois.  Putting his family on stage to cry was a rough ridin' joke that was nothing more than a pity party for himself.  It was all excuses as to why they lost.  Even when he was trying to take some of the blame he always threw something else in there like "It's my fault I let the pressure to recruit certain players dictate how I recruited".  That's the person he is.  I can appreciate the wins he gives us, but I don't like him as a person.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
The way it ended at Illinois showed who oscar really is.  In the end oscar really only cared about himself and to a lesser extent his assistants.  It was all about him and not his players and not Illinois.  Putting his family on stage to cry was a rough ridin' joke that was nothing more than a pity party for himself.  It was all excuses as to why they lost.  Even when he was trying to take some of the blame he always threw something else in there like "It's my fault I let the pressure to recruit certain players dictate how I recruited".  That's the person he is.  I can appreciate the wins he gives us, but I don't like him as a person.

Hiring a fired coach and one that showed a lack of accepting responsibility is what drove me mad.  That said, I think his family on stage was just an example of his awkwardness and inability to read social situations.  I don't think it was to throw a pity party.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

Insightful.  Lowery is the defensive motivator. I don't know who is landing these recruits like Foster, Westicles, Thomas, Edwards and Hurt, but somebody is getting them to buy in.  :dunno:

I love Lowery, especially his Twitter account. He usually posts only one or two words followed by several !'s. It makes me  :lol: every time.

He also happens to be a defensive genius.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
"Talk! TALK!   Talk!   TALK TO EACH OTHER!(stupid sock puppet hand gestures)"

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Communication is key in a healthy relationship

"Hands up!   Hands!(puts hands in air doing an arthritic grizzly bear impression). Hands up!  HANDS!"

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »

They are showing that they work better as a team.  Are you saying that after a run of three or four NCAA appearances with a top-4 seed or two thrown in, that you would immediately go fuming with hate for oscar if Lowery would take another job?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »

They are showing that they work better as a team.  Are you saying that after a run of three or four NCAA appearances with a top-4 seed or two thrown in, that you would immediately go fuming with hate for oscar if Lowery would take another job?

His leash would shorten immensely.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
The idea that oscar and Lowery are some sort of magic potion is pretty adorable.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
The idea that oscar and Lowery are some sort of magic potion is pretty adorable.

How else could you possibly explain it?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
Chet is the best coach on the staff
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Chet is the best coach on the staff

Yes.  Pay Chet. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best