Author Topic: Kansas Board of Regents restricts free speech for academics  (Read 1530 times)

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
Kansas Board of Regents restricts free speech for academics
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
 :sdeek:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2013/12/19/kansas-board-of-regents-restricts-free-speech-for-academics/

So, hypothetical situation: If you're a TA at KSU and you're on team #burnitdown and you post about it on twitter or somewhere and someone from the Athletic Department finds out who you are and turns you into a department head who may be vindictive and/or may not like you very much then you could potentially be fired for posting materials "contrary to the best interests of the university." The policy is basically so open-ended that abuse of it is inevitable at this point.

Chilling free speech at an institution of higher education seems like a great idea amirite

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas Board of Regents restricts free speech for academics
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
If you say something that embarrasses Kansas State, they don't have to continue employing you, centraltexascat.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
If you say research something that embarrasses Kansas State Governor Brownback and you tweet about it, they don't have to continue employing you, centraltexascat tenured professor looking at LGBT rights in Kansas.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:35:45 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 04:35:50 PM »
If you say research something that embarrasses Kansas State Governor Brownback, they don't have to continue employing you, centraltexascat tenured professor looking at LGBT rights in Kansas.

That's not what the article you linked to says or even implies.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
I know I enjoy @'n several upper management people at the company I work for when I choose to bad-mouth the hell out of my company.  #1stAmendment #FreePhil #Murica

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
The inherent issue is the clause of "posting things contrary to the best interests of the university," which is extremely open-ended language as "best interests of the university" is not defined. If you want to fire a professor at KU for basically acting like a dumbass during a mass shooting, that's one thing, but "best interests of the university" could be construed to mean so many different things that there needs to be additional language delineating exactly what that phrase means. Given that Brownback has shown himself to be extraordinarily petty in the face of criticism (remember the high school kid who insulted him on twitter), is it that outrageous to think that he might personally intervene with his own appointed regents in the case of a professor who publishes research or critcism of Brownback on social media that he doesn't want to see the light of day?

The potential for abuse is more likely at a lower and more petty level but this policy is so broad that even the more off-the-wall scenarios could happen at this point.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:44:35 PM by centraltexascat »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
:sdeek:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2013/12/19/kansas-board-of-regents-restricts-free-speech-for-academics/

So, hypothetical situation: If you're a TA at KSU and you're on team #burnitdown and you post about it on twitter or somewhere and someone from the Athletic Department finds out who you are and turns you into a department head who may be vindictive and/or may not like you very much then you could potentially be fired for posting materials "contrary to the best interests of the university." The policy is basically so open-ended that abuse of it is inevitable at this point.

Chilling free speech at an institution of higher education seems like a great idea amirite

I was a TA at KSU when oscar was hired.
:adios:

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
hey me too :cheers:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
Don't be a dumbass and you won't be fired.

Tenure is a bad policy and always has been, so this is a good move. I think you'll see more universities follow this lead to help purge the nutty professors.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
What did NYU end up doing with that prof who made a bunch of mean comments about fat people?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
Jeff Montgomery has to be on high alert right now. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best