Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 656953 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #8425 on: December 02, 2015, 06:45:52 AM »
I really think there needs to be a better effort to get into areas and states without teams rather than put 4 in one state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #8426 on: December 02, 2015, 06:46:44 AM »
I also think MLS has expanded too big already.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: December 02, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »

yeah, that's been my main "concern"

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
I really think there needs to be a better effort to get into areas and states without teams rather than put 4 in one state.

I understand that but it doesn't answer my question. Sacramento and San Antonio would be great markets. What financial difference would it make them to start a team in Phoenix or Detroit instead of those two?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »

yeah, that's been my main "concern"
Meh

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8430 on: December 02, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
Why would you guys be concerned? You think a team is going to fold again? No team is close to the level Chivas was at.

I agree expansion hasn't been executed perfectly always but the league is healthy.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: December 02, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
I don't think any team is going to fold but soccer leagues aren't meant to be this big, and I don't really see the value to the league as a whole to have a team in Sacramento. San Antonio would add some value in my eyes, but if investors want into the league I would prefer take overs from crap franchises.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: December 02, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
I don't think any team is going to fold but soccer leagues aren't meant to be this big, and I don't really see the value to the league as a whole to have a team in Sacramento. San Antonio would add some value in my eyes, but if investors want into the league I would prefer take overs from crap franchises.

You could have said the same thing about the Kansas City market not adding much value to the league but the franchise is so well run and the fan base is so good that it made Kansas City a monster. I think that same potential lies in Sacramento. You can never know about the ownership group but those people in Sacramento love the crap out of the Kings, they seem very provincial.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »

You could have said the same thing about the Kansas City market not adding much value to the league but the franchise is so well run and the fan base is so good that it made Kansas City a monster. I think that same potential lies in Sacramento. You can never know about the ownership group but those people in Sacramento love the crap out of the Kings, they seem very provincial.

But KC is in an area with no soccer team anywhere near them and came in at the inception of the league, Sacramento would be the 4th team in a state. And even then I would say the league would not miss a beat at the macro level if SKC ceased to exist tomorrow.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: December 02, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »

But KC is in an area with no soccer team anywhere near them and came in at the inception of the league, Sacramento would be the 4th team in a state. And even then I would say the league would not miss a beat at the macro level if SKC ceased to exist tomorrow.

So you don't want St. Louis to have a franchise either? Sacramento and San Jose are completely different places, I seriously doubt there are too many people driving the two hours down to Avaya.

Also you can say the same thing about every pro sports franchise in America. People don't watch MLS because of the LA Galaxy, they watch the LA Galaxy because of the LA Galaxy. The league's success is built on how many people are willing to watch Orlando vs. Dallas on a random Tuesday in August. Those people aren't going to that match because Giovinco is in Toronto. There is no team bigger than the league, not the Galaxy, Lakers, Yankees, or Canadiens.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: December 02, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
I want Saint Louis because I am a biased hypocrite, but I think adding more teams is a mistake, I think we have too many teams in the MLS, and I think having 4 teams in one state, in the MLS is too much, and I disagree. The MLS would be hurt with out the big clubs who bring in big names that grab press and sell jerseys and could get the non-MLS fans to occasionally turn on the tv or go to the game. If every team operated in the manner of SKC the league would be hurting.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: December 02, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Are you just ignoring the fact that Sacramento is killing it as a USL club? Who cares that there are three others in the same (enormous) state? A good market is a good market.

Also, there's no evidence at all that the talent pool is being watered down due to over-expansion. Is there another reason you think we're expanding too quickly?

I'm trying to figure out how San Antonio adds value (in your eyes) but Sacramento does not.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:10:19 PM by sunny_cat »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
I'm good with Sacramento, they seem to have legit backing and are not LA2

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »
Before I googled, I thought SA was substantially bigger. I was wrong. Also gtfoomf if you think that the roster spot 1-23 wouldn't be better per team with 20 teams vs having 24 or 32

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: December 02, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
Also how do you want to schedule? Are you trying to get to 40 teams and make MLS a pro/rel system?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »
Before I googled, I thought SA was substantially bigger. I was wrong. Also gtfoomf if you think that the roster spot 1-23 wouldn't be better per team with 20 teams vs having 24 or 32

If we add ten teams next year, yes it would be an issue. Just needs to be slow growth. We have added five teams in the last five years. Would you not agree that the quality of play is better per team than it was in 2010? The world isn't going to run out of soccer players and academies are improving. The talent will be there if we steadily and carefully expand.

Also how do you want to schedule? Are you trying to get to 40 teams and make MLS a pro/rel system?

30 teams and pro/rel would be fine with me. I don't give a crap enough to figure out how they're going to schedule.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:44:11 PM by sunny_cat »

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: December 02, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
I guess technically we added 4 teams since Chivas folded but same point still stands.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:21 PM »
Look maybe I'm wrong. I'm not too proud to admit it, but I would prefer 20 great franchises instead of 10 good ones and 14 mediocre at best ones.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:07 PM »
I could get on board with a pro/rel system if it was completely MLS only

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #8445 on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
I could get on board with a pro/rel system if it was completely MLS only

but these owners paying hundreds of millions of dollars won't be. And can you imagine what would happen to attendance for teams like the Fire, if they were relegated?

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Start telling these owners and cities trying to come in that there is a possibility they'll be in the second division and they're still paying up then eff it lets go to 40 with a division one and two

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:42 PM »
#ContractTheFire

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #8449 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »