Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 657963 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #5150 on: November 19, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »
Dallas took Kennedy. They will trade him.

NYCFC took Dunn.

We passed.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #5151 on: November 19, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Damn

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: November 19, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
Damn

We'll pick someone up in the re-entry draft when we can renegotiate contracts.

In other news, Cal Williams was tweeting it live and suddenly stopped after he tweeted we passed. He got in trouble from the league and they told him to shut up.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: November 19, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
Now Cal's tweets are gone. :runaway:

DC Insider I follow tweeted DCU will take a player. No further info yet.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
FCD - Kennedy
NYCFC - Dunn
DCU - McNamara
MTL - Toia
COL - Calvert
SJ - Tyrpak
TFC - Delgado

Everyone else passed, and those who took a player passed in Round 2.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
A pass?  so the teams in draft position said thanks, but we'll keep looking?  Are these old Chivas players going to free agency where better deals can be had?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: November 19, 2014, 05:05:26 PM »
A pass?  so the teams in draft position said thanks, but we'll keep looking?  Are these old Chivas players going to free agency where better deals can be had?

Not exactly "free agency" but closest thing MLS has to it. Waiver/Re-entry draft. Players draft in the dispersal draft would have to be taken at their current salaries which scared away all but 7 teams.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: November 19, 2014, 06:30:55 PM »

Not exactly "free agency" but closest thing MLS has to it. Waiver/Re-entry draft. Players draft in the dispersal draft would have to be taken at their current salaries which scared away all but 7 teams.
TY
Finally did a bit of reading on it.  Didn't know the MLS had approximately 7 drafts.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: November 20, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Re: expansion draft, must protect at least 3 internationals. According to Mike Kuhn (he's right 99% of the time), internationals are Bieler, Claros, Dovale, Juliao, Medranda, Steuble, and maybe Munoz.

I protect Claros, Dovale, and Juliao.

Protected:
Sinovic
Besler
Collin/Opara - I feel like Opara's injury might scare away the expansion teams
Myers
Juliao
Claros
Feilhaber
Zusi
Dwyer
Dovale
Saad/Zizzo

Auto-protected:
Kempin
Ellis
Palmer-Brown

Unprotected:
Bieler
Collin/Opara
Duke
Gruenebaum
Kafari
Kronberg
Lopez
Medranda
Munoz
Nagamura
Olum
Peterson
Sapong
Steuble
Zizzo/Saad

If the contract negotiations are at as bad of a stalemate as I've heard, might see Collin unprotected. Could see Andy G protected if we don't feel confident we're going to sign that Spanish keeper.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
Re: expansion draft, must protect at least 3 internationals. According to Mike Kuhn (he's right 99% of the time), internationals are Bieler, Claros, Dovale, Juliao, Medranda, Steuble, and maybe Munoz.

Protected:
Sinovic
Besler
Myers
Juliao
Claros
Feilhaber
Zusi
Dwyer
Dovale
Saad/Zizzo

Auto-protected:
Kempin
Ellis
Palmer-Brown

Unprotected:
Bieler
Collin/Opara
Duke
Gruenebaum
Kafari
Kronberg
Lopez
Medranda
Munoz
Nagamura
Olum
Peterson
Sapong
Steuble
Zizzo/Saad

If the contract negotiations are at as bad of a stalemate as I've heard, might see Collin unprotected. Could see Andy G protected if we don't feel confident we're going to sign that Spanish keeper.

You gotta find a way to protect Nagamura

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: November 20, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/11/18/krafts-exploring-soccer-stadium-boston/s7p5krvDeH1J7UgjlEIFtM/story.html

So this is a good start, apparently this is moving now because of Tom Menino's death, he was the extremely powerful mayor who didn't at all get along with the Krafts. It must be said though, this location is horrendous. You absolutely cannot find a worst place in Boston to build a stadium. It is very accessible to public transportation but there is no commerce around it at all and locals don't find that area desirable. Gross.

Kraft family looks to build soccer stadium in Boston
Site off I-93 considered as new home for Revolution

Globe Staff   November 18, 2014

90 Comments

Planning is quietly underway for construction of a soccer stadium in Boston, one that would bring the resurgent New England Revolution closer to their urban fan base, according to people familiar with the Kraft family’s search for a site.

Among the sites under consideration is a strip of city-owned land off Interstate 93 on Frontage Road, where Boston has a large yard for towed cars and public works. The South Boston property offers easy access from major highways and is near the MBTA’s Red Line as well as rail lines at nearby South Station.

Numerous sources said the Kraft family has been meeting with state and city officials to discuss the stadium and possible locations over the past several months, with the team focusing on Frontage Road. It was not known Monday what additional sites the Krafts were considering.

Through a spokesman, the Krafts on Monday said: “We are currently developing concepts for how a soccer stadium for the Revolution can benefit the greater Boston area. Once we have more developed plans, we will comment further.”

The Krafts, owners of the New England Patriots and the New England Revolution, have tried several times to build a stadium in Boston, first for the Patriots in the mid-1990s and again more recently for the Revolution.

The Revolution have acknowledged that playing in the cavernous Gillette Stadium, located well outside of Boston’s urban core, is not an ideal setting for soccer. In October, the Revolution’s president told the Globe that a preferred size for a new soccer stadium would seat 18,000 to 22,000 fans.

The Frontage Road location is adjacent to an industrial area that the group organizing Boston’s efforts to host the 2024 Summer Olympics had identified as a potential location for the main Olympics stadium. Kraft is also a member of the Olympics group.

Although some people familiar with the discussions said the Kraft proposal could conflict with the Olympic group’s efforts for the bigger stadium, others said there is enough room in the area to accommodate both facilities. The Olympic committee is focusing on a site on Widett Circle, just to the south of the city property, that hosts a collection of food wholesalers.

Kraft’s timing differs from the Boston Olympics group’s. One source said the sports mogul is pushing to have the soccer stadium in place within five years.

The city yard is also a candidate for a new homeless shelter to replace a facility on Long Island that was abruptly shuttered last month after the harbor bridge was condemned.

A spokeswoman for Mayor Martin J. Walsh would only say that any proposal for the city-owned site would be subject to a bidding process and reviews by public agencies.

Though the Krafts have previously explored building a soccer stadium in Somerville or Revere, the new push comes as soccer is enjoying renewed popularity locally and throughout the United States.

The Revolution spent $4.3 million earlier this season to sign Jermaine Jones, a star of the US men’s national team that advanced to the Round of 16 at the World Cup this summer in Brazil. The global soccer event drew record TV ratings in the United States, while Major League Soccer in May signed an eight-year, $720 million broadcast rights agreement with ESPN, Fox, and Univision, a fivefold increase over its previous deal.

Since signing Jones, the Revs have torn up the league, advancing deep into the playoffs; the team will play the New York Red Bulls this weekend in the semifinals.

The Revolution are among the few MLS teams not playing in a soccer-specific stadium. Many of the other stadiums are relatively small, intimate venues; the Revs, by comparison, are unable to fill a massive football stadium, despite logging their highest attendance this season in six years: 16,681 on average.

“I’ve been to other teams’ stadiums, and it just doesn’t compare,” said Michael Johnson, 43, a 15-year Revs season ticketholder from Milford. “I look at a place like Portland and I almost cry every time I see the support they get.”

Club officials have acknowledged the emptiness can be a put-off for fans, because being part of a rousing crowd in a packed house is one of the appeals of live sporting events.

In an interview with the Globe in October, Revolution president Brian Bilello said a smaller stadium would also allow the team to sell high-priced premium seats. Club sections at Gillette are so removed that they are not appealing, he said.

A city stadium would also bring the Revolution closer to the young urban fans who are driving the league’s growth. Four in 10 MLS fans are 34 or younger, according to Nielsen Media Research, compared with 24 percent of Major League Baseball fans.

“You’re targeting young professionals — the ones who grew up playing soccer and now want to watch, drink beer, and sing songs,” said Victor Matheson, a sports economist at College of the Holy Cross and a former MLS referee. “Those are the passionate fans you want.”

Kraft’s last major attempt to build a stadium in Boston fell apart amid heavy opposition from neighborhood residents and some of the city’s most powerful politicians, the fallout creating hard feelings on both sides.

The most recent talks date back to at least the past summer and have involved the possibility of adding light rail service to the site from South Station, said a source who was briefed on those plans.

Many details would need to be worked out before the project could go forward. Because the site is publicly owned, it would be subject to a bidding process as well as lengthy reviews by city and state regulators.

At this stage, it is unclear how the stadium would be financed and whether any public funding would be needed to support the project or its infrastructure.

After privately financing Gillette Stadium, the Krafts so far have not pledged to do the same for a soccer stadium, which probably would cost more than $100 million.

As for the Olympics, Boston was named one of four finalists by the United States Olympic Committee in June for a possible bid for the 2024 Games, along with Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.

The USOC is expected to decide in the next few months if it will submit a bid, and, if so, which US city it will advance into the global competition for the Games. The International Olympic Committee in 2017 will choose the host of the 2024 Olympics.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: November 20, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »

Protected:
Sinovic
Besler
Myers
Juliao
Claros
Feilhaber
Zusi
Dwyer
Dovale
Saad/Zizzo

Auto-protected:
Kempin
Ellis
Palmer-Brown

Unprotected:
Bieler
Collin/Opara
Duke
Gruenebaum
Kafari
Kronberg
Lopez
Medranda
Munoz
Nagamura
Olum
Peterson
Sapong
Steuble
Zizzo/Saad

You gotta find a way to protect Nagamura

If Espinoza isn't coming in January, I agree.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: November 20, 2014, 03:36:11 PM »
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/11/18/krafts-exploring-soccer-stadium-boston/s7p5krvDeH1J7UgjlEIFtM/story.html

I posted a screenshot of a text saying this awhile back and you laughed in my face. Iirc it also hinted at getting a big name player (this was pre-Jermaine Jones.)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »

I posted a screenshot of a text saying this awhile back and you laughed in my face. Iirc it also hinted at getting a big name player (this was pre-Jermaine Jones.)

Saying what? That article says a lot. It isn't a secret that they have talked about building a stadium near I-93 for years. I may have laughed for a variety or reasons. The location they talked about before sucked, although better than this one. There were a lot of hurdles between them talking about building a stadium in Boston and it actually happening. The Kraft's actually spending money on the team when they never ever ever had before. And putting the stadium in the I-93 area instead of Lexington, Newton, or Metro West is stupid. The fact that they have discussed building a stadium in Boston isn't at all a new concept.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: November 20, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't remember what the text said exactly but whatever. I also know nothing about any of those places or I-93 cause I've never been to Boston.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: November 23, 2014, 01:35:11 PM »
Wait wait wait, teal bunbury is new Englands #10? Lol

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
He plays winger now. I'm number 1 Teal fan on gE fwiw.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: November 23, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
2-1 NE. Teal assisted JJ. NY is pretty much toast now giving up 2 away goals.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: November 23, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »
New England will win the cup and I'm very happy for them, it was great seeing all of those Flags of New England in Red Bull Arena.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
They might win it. LA and Seattle still playing better tho.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: November 23, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Mike Kuhn: so it looks like EA leaked NYCFC and OCSC's secondary jerseys https://t.co/Xl1dUZ2c9P https://t.co/2amdFeu2RQ

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: November 24, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »

Interesting if true

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Malaysia? Why in the world would he want that?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: November 24, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
Tweet is now gone fwiw. If true, going to make lots of idiots happy.