Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 656213 times)

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
MLS looking a little red faced with the lack of ownership for Chivas at this point. They originally said many months ago the value was around 70 million but now say 60. They must have fallen through with a group but better get this sold soon. The Goats fans must feel pretty great these days
[

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
#Beckham4TeamFormerlyKnownAsChivas

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
#Royals5'ing the ASG tonight :emawkid:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2014/news/article/2014/08/05/mls-deputy-commissioner-mark-abbott-expansion-international-calendar-prorel

Quote from: Mark Abott on pro/rel
I would say it never happens.

CASE CLOSED

Pro/Rel would end up harming some of these clubs beyond repair.  Can you imagine a city and ownership group making tens of millions (sometimes hundreds) of dollars in investments and then watching a bunch of USL teams coming in there after they've been relegated?

Fans would leave in droves and never come back.  It would be like the Royals getting relegated to AAA and playing a bunch of minor league teams in Royals stadium.  Can you imagine how devastating that would be for local economies?  For the billion dollars in investments the taxpayers in this region have paid?

Granted, the investments in these MLS facilities are on a smaller scale, but it's the same concept; you can't drop this kind of money trying to build a franchise and then do Pro/Rel.  You'd just de-incentivise a ton of clubs and potential ownership groups from getting involved and trying to join the league because they wouldn't want to take that risk.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2014/news/article/2014/08/05/mls-deputy-commissioner-mark-abbott-expansion-international-calendar-prorel

CASE CLOSED

Pro/Rel would end up harming some of these clubs beyond repair.  Can you imagine a city and ownership group making tens of millions (sometimes hundreds) of dollars in investments and then watching a bunch of USL teams coming in there after they've been relegated?

Fans would leave in droves and never come back.  It would be like the Royals getting relegated to AAA and playing a bunch of minor league teams in Royals stadium.  Can you imagine how devastating that would be for local economies?  For the billion dollars in investments the taxpayers in this region have paid?

Granted, the investments in these MLS facilities are on a smaller scale, but it's the same concept; you can't drop this kind of money trying to build a franchise and then do Pro/Rel.  You'd just de-incentivise a ton of clubs and potential ownership groups from getting involved and trying to join the league because they wouldn't want to take that risk.

England has parachute payments for relegated teams.  Set money aside for teams that go down to lessen the financial blow. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]

CASE CLOSED

England has parachute payments for relegated teams.  Set money aside for teams that go down to lessen the financial blow.

Yeah, but try establishing an American fan base when you keep yo-yoing between being a crappy major league team and a good minor league team.

You may be okay in the short term, but long term, it's probably not a viable investment.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
We're not having that discussion in this thread.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
We're not having that discussion in this thread.

wacky, we need you

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

CASE CLOSED

You would know :lol:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

CASE CLOSED

:ROFL:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
^ sick burn
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
My hand is sore from high fiving all my boys.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

:horrorsurprise:   :lol: 

Good one sunny cat. It really was.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Could probably put this in any of the "Big 3" soccer threads, but:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Oh wow

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
weird, would be good depth for the million and one europa league matches.  would kinda prefer him somewhere he would get more time tbh though

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
also, more like deandre yidlin, amirite

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

also, more like deandre yidlin, amirite

It's okay for you to say that because you're a spurs fan

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)
« Reply #3219 on: August 06, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
“@SoccerMarketing: #Infographic: The most popular #MLS teams by state. Via r/MLS. http://twitter.com/SoccerMarketing/status/497076006818418690/photo/1

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
wait, there's a soccer team called the spurs? That's pretty cool. I don't like it when teams are called F.C. whatever or Blah Blah United.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
wait, there's a soccer team called the spurs? That's pretty cool. I don't like it when teams are called F.C. whatever or Blah Blah United.

it's kinda both, tho...

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

it's kinda both, tho...

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
“@SoccerMarketing: #Infographic: The most popular #MLS teams by state. Via r/MLS. http://twitter.com/SoccerMarketing/status/497076006818418690/photo/1

wyoming is such a provincial place anyway

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile

it's kinda both, tho...

oh. lame.