Author Topic: Sporting KC Thread!! (Featuring All of MLS and sometimes Mexican Leagues too)  (Read 656845 times)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
it's my favorite sport

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
question: why do you guys care so much about soccer? thanks. i'll listen off the air.

Idk, winning stuff is fun, games are fun, I like it, etc.

hmmm. gonna need a little more..

Why?

it's just so small timey i guess. i mean, sporting isn't even a top 250 club worldwide ya know.. i'm sure it's fun and all. but i need something more.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
it's just so small timey i guess. i mean, sporting isn't even a top 250 club worldwide ya know.. i'm sure it's fun and all. but i need something more.

in the european thread the team he follows is a top 10 club in the world's most popular sport if that helps?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
question: why do you guys care so much about soccer? thanks. i'll listen off the air.

Idk, winning stuff is fun, games are fun, I like it, etc.

hmmm. gonna need a little more..

Why?

Yeah, but it's our league ya know? Just because we don't have Ronaldo's and Messi's doesn't mean it's not a good product or fun to watch. Atmosphere at SKC games is amazing. I'm sad for you that you think it's small-timey. At least they're not perennial losers like the Chiefs and Royals. (I'm a Chiefs and Royals fan.)

I mean, why do we watch KSU sports? It's not like they're top pro teams, but it's still great to watch and very fun.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

in the european thread the team he follows is a top 10 club in the world's most popular sport if that helps?

I care way more about Sporting than I do MCFC, but yes.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
it's my favorite sport

i totally understand this bud  :D
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
yeah, i'm sorry sunny. i just can't seem to psyche myself up enough to really care. i know it's the future. i know the nfl will wither away and die due to changing demographics and head trauma research. but i can't help loving football and baseball and basketball. i played soccer as a kid. it was fun. but i'm just pretty meh..

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
yeah, i'm sorry sunny. i just can't seem to psyche myself up enough to really care. i know it's the future. i know the nfl will wither away and die due to changing demographics and head trauma research. but i can't help loving football and baseball and basketball. i played soccer as a kid. it was fun. but i'm just pretty meh..

Let me ask you this. Have you ever been to a game at Sporting Park? And that's fine, I totally get your attitude.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile

Let me ask you this. Have you ever been to a game at Sporting Park? And that's fine, I totally get your attitude.

been to wiz games but no sporting at new park games

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

been to wiz games but no sporting at new park games

You really need to go. Sit in the Cauldron. I'm a season ticket holder, so I'll be there basically every game.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
also keep in mind that it's WAAAAAY easier as a youngster like sunny_cat to have a local team to follow AND be able to keep up with international soccer than it was when our old balls were little tykes (which is fantastic).  we were limited to basically the world cup and like maybe one random champions league game a week on a random tuesday/wednesday afternoon on FSKC until we were about college-aged.  not a lot of outlets to consume it during formative years besides actually playing

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
just my old-balls take on things from the middle of kansas :)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
 :thumbs:

Soccer's growing in America, j-dub. Better hop on the bandwagon.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
:thumbs:

Soccer's growing in America, j-dub. Better hop on the bandwagon.

trust me i know. coached some middle school f-ball and b-ball in a mostly latino school. soccer is gonna be king.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Come back anytime, j-dub. :D

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
The atmosphere at sporting park is GOAT. only went to three wiz games but the atmosphere at the park is amazing, and I've been to multiple BPL games

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Ben Jata ?@Ben_Jata 1h
Talked with @andrew_wiebe about #NYCFC and the DP's they could potentially sign. Two big names came up - Tim Howard & Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

:eek:

(Ibra already said recently he's interested in MLS.)

Also, seeing rumors on twitter that Xavi will move from Barcelona to New York Red Bulls after the World Cup.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
J-Dub, I'm not a die-hard soccer fan, so maybe I can relate a little better.  Reasons I like Sporting/soccer below

1) Lower level soccer translates well.  I don't think soccer is a sport where you have to watch the best.  Basketball can be terrible at lower levels because it relies heavily on athleticism.  Athleticism definitely helps in soccer, but its more a technique game.  You'll get more "wow" moments watching Messi, and certainly more wins, but even with lesser players in the MLS it is still a fun product.  For a casual fan, you won't notice most of the minor mistakes made.

2) Go to Sporting Park/Cauldron.  Its like a big student section and everyone is so united.  First Cauldron game I went to a guy stole a bunch of beers from the VIP section and instead of drinking them with his buds all game, he handed them out to the section.  Great community feel.  The stands are full of guys that want to make the game the funnest place ever because they want MLS to succeed.  No drunk bad person fans or tucks, just everyone wanting to party.

3) Drinking outside is a great time in the summer.  I prefer soccer to baseball because its a 2 hour commitment instead of a 3-4 one, but still.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
good post chicat :thumbs:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Looks like Camilo (golden boot winner 2013) is headed to Liga MX. :(

Gallos Blancos Qro. ?@Club_Queretaro 13m
Y también Camilo Sanvezzo, quien aquí saluda a todos nuestros aficionados de #Gallos pic.twitter.com/hih60Qlkfu

Total stud, very fun to watch. Relatively young. (Like 25 I think)

Jeff Carlisle ?@JeffreyCarlisle 7m
Camilo to Queretaro is close to being done for seven figure fee. Vancouver left with little option. #vwfc #mlscombine

:frown:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
soccer is just so sloooowwwww... i've tried watching it, but when you only have like 0-3 goals (total) in a game and only like 5 shots even taken at the goal (total), it's like... why am i watching these guys kick a ball around this huge field for 90 minutes?  grade school soccer seems more entertaining than professional.

just one hayseed's opinion  :Carl:

btw, soccer is rough ridin' excellent when you shrink the goals and field way down and then put ice over the field and instead of your feet you use sticks to pass around a compressed ball.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
Looks like Camilo (golden boot winner 2013) is headed to Liga MX. :(

Gallos Blancos Qro. ?@Club_Queretaro 13m
Y también Camilo Sanvezzo, quien aquí saluda a todos nuestros aficionados de #Gallos pic.twitter.com/hih60Qlkfu

Total stud, very fun to watch. Relatively young. (Like 25 I think)

Jeff Carlisle ?@JeffreyCarlisle 7m
Camilo to Queretaro is close to being done for seven figure fee. Vancouver left with little option. #vwfc #mlscombine

:frown:

sucks for the league, but for a few reasons, i'm okay with vancouver being unlucky.

Offline 3maw

• lurk'r extrodinaire
  • Combo-Fan
  • #TeamAldi
    • View Profile
seven, felt that way for many years. after going to a english national team game in london, and then even the SKC environment it really changed my mind. comparing it to football event wise is pretty unfair, but, one of the great things i love with soccer compared to football is the "lull" periods. yeah, you can say that a 0-0 match is filled with these moments. but for two 45 min halves, you are pretty much glued to the action. football, for me at least, is easy to have a roller coaster of attention - ie, maybe a 30 yd return, then 20 yd pass, then 20 yd run... stadium is PUMPED, annnd just like that it can be lost - a tv or team timeout, or a review, or a flag. and the member chants are fun (but so are the football ones like GO GO GO or bullshit, etc.)

its also nice to know that if a game starts at 1:00, it will be over in just about 2 hrs 90% of the time (not exact, but you get the idea). makes planning afternoon chores a lot easier.

and mini-ice soccer is fun to watch too.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Singing and chanting constantly in the Cauldron makes up for boring stretches in games imo.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
TFC Defoe press conference is on now. Tim Leiwecke just thanked Drake. LOL.