Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142536 times)

tdaver and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »
This was a fantastic sightseeing idea.  52 neighborhoods in 52 weeks.

http://run52cincinnati.blogspot.com/

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »
At first I was like, "Running?  :buh-bye:." But then I kept reading and all these adorable HarrierCats were being adorable, so I stuck around.

I prefer running on treadmills (usually as a warmup before getting swole) because I get totally bored, but recently have kicked around the idea of running longer distances a li'l bit. You know, to keep the ol' ticker working properly.

Any of you HarrierCats ever tried running barefoot or in those weird glove shoe things? I've always been intrigued by it, and think it might help me from getting so bored all the time. I've tried it for a few blocks and went from a heel striker to a toe-first kind of thing immediately. Was weird. Please don't knock it if you haven't tried it--feedback from current or previous barefoot practitioners only, please.

Also: holy cow my IRL friend Dobber (UTpak2013) is fast!  :Wha:

Offline kstatefan11

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »
I have some of the vibram glove shoes from Salina Running Company. I really enjoy them, but they take some getting used to and I'm pretty hesitant about doing anything over 3-4 miles in them. Developed some plantar fascitis (sp?) while training with them for the KC half awhile ago. I've had some lower back issues, tight hammies, etc., and these really seem to help with that, love how they make my gait feel.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Treadmills. I got your back if you like them over running in stupid nature and cold.  If you have two,  I'll run with you until the end of time.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2013, 09:50:03 PM »
Fastest (only) half marathon: 1:41:59 (7:47 splits)
WOW dobber :love: !!! That is a really great time for somebody that has only ran one race in their entire adult life! :clap:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
Thanks to a lady who gave me a free elliptical and houcat putting up every kat game ever, I am proud to say that I beat shin splints.  :billdance:  (At least for now.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
Thanks to a lady who gave me a free elliptical and houcat putting up every kat game ever, I am proud to say that I beat shin splints.  :billdance:  (At least for now.)
SB, that is great that you have a lady friend that gave you an elloptical, and houcat is great for uploading all of the k@ games ever so you could beat shin splints! Did you see my half marathon time?

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »
I have some of the vibram glove shoes from Salina Running Company. I really enjoy them, but they take some getting used to and I'm pretty hesitant about doing anything over 3-4 miles in them. Developed some plantar fascitis (sp?) while training with them for the KC half awhile ago. I've had some lower back issues, tight hammies, etc., and these really seem to help with that, love how they make my gait feel.

I have some too.

The transition period was brutal.  On one of my first runs it felt as if I had tore both my calf muscles up completely as I was barely able to walk. Now my lower leg muscles have never felt stronger.

I don't think ill ever go back to a traditional shoe. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »

I have some too.

The transition period was brutal.  On one of my first runs it felt as if I had tore both my calf muscles up completely as I was barely able to walk. Now my lower leg muscles have never felt stronger.

Hey statefan11 and headindian, what do you think I could cut my splits down to if I bought some of these awesome shoes? Probably something like 5:45 it sounds like. Probably could run in the next Olympics!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »
Distance runners aren't really into bragging about their times, dobber.  This thread may not be for you.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Distance runners aren't really into bragging about their times, dobber.  This thread may not be for you.
I did say it was the only race I ever ran. :Lurk:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »
HEY DOBBER GET OUTTA HERE, THIS IS FOR GUYS WHO AREN'T INTO BRAGGING ABOUT TIMES. :flush:

(Distance bragging is very braggable, though.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:18 AM »
It snowed. Can't decide what to do. Treadmill or slippery sidewalks. I hate treadmills but I hate cracking my head too.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 06:10:52 AM »
HEY DOBBER GET OUTTA HERE, THIS IS FOR GUYS WHO AREN'T INTO BRAGGING ABOUT TIMES. :flush:

(Distance bragging is very braggable, though.)
Change the thread title! :buh-bye:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »
Cool they healed with the lipty. Are you doing any strength training to prevent them?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2013, 07:14:15 AM »

I have some too.

I don't run in Vibram but I do use zero drop shoes. As you experienced, it was a hard transition but stronger than ever now.

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »
Truth- Anyone who runs in 5finger shoes or glove shoes are idiots. Proof? You look dumb and you're destroying your shins and ligaments in your feet. Also comes off as bandwagony and desperate for attention.
elitist since 1994

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
Truth- Anyone who runs in 5finger shoes or glove shoes are idiots. Proof? You look dumb and you're destroying your shins and ligaments in your feet. Also comes off as bandwagony and desperate for attention.

^
elitist since 1994

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
Link?

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:02 AM »
Link?

http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot-running-minimalism/study-vibram-fivefingers-lead-to-greater-risk-of-foot-bone-injury

Barely scratching the surface of the injuries these cause. Unless you were born in the woods and reared by wolves, you shouldn't just get rid of shoes to run minimalistic.
elitist since 1994

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:57 AM »
Link?

http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot-running-minimalism/study-vibram-fivefingers-lead-to-greater-risk-of-foot-bone-injury

Barely scratching the surface of the injuries these cause. Unless you were born in the woods and reared by wolves, you shouldn't just get rid of shoes to run minimalistic.

Results may vary.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »
Link?

I can trade ya links all day long. :-)

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2013/05/06/video-the-principles-natural-running/

Perhaps you prefer a podiatrist over a doctor that owns a running store.

http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/tag/akron-podiatrist/

Offline the_ugly_clown

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:53 AM »
My previous attempts at starting running were always thwarted by shin splints because I didn't buy anything specifically for running. I mean I was basically running in basketball shoes. WTF.  If you're in MHK go to the Manhattan Running Company next to Ray's Apple Market over where Golf USA used to be. They have fancy machines that videotape your stride on a treadmill and they make recommendos on which shoes will best fit your style.Then stop off at La Hacienda.

Where can I find one of these gizmos in KC?  Tia

Gary Gibbles is good also check out Ultramax they use "Gaitology" http://ultramaxtri.com/.

BTW I ran two miles yesterday!!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
I will say that I suffered through all kinds of niggling lower leg injuries until I switched to a low drop minimal support platform. Why did it work for me? I presume it was the strengthening of all the muscles below my knees. Traditional shoes provide so much support that you really can't get all the muscles firing and supporting the foot strike and push off.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
Here's my deal with distance running.  I'm under the impression that cardiovascular can't be said to have taken place unless your heart rate is above some particular rate for at least 25 to 30 minutes.  That means like at least 3 miles, and that sounds just awful.