Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 142970 times)

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #1075 on: April 22, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
I have been very disappointing in my running.  I need some motivation. Running the half in Vegas in November seems too far off to even care right now. I probably need a mid-summer race.

I'm the same way. I think I may print out a running schedule and pretend I'm running a half in August. I have to have a goal mileage each day to check off.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 22, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
I have been very disappointing in my running.  I need some motivation. Running the half in Vegas in November seems too far off to even care right now. I probably need a mid-summer race.

I'm the same way. I think I may print out a running schedule and pretend I'm running a half in August. I have to have a goal mileage each day to check off.
Great idea.  I think I will copy that idea.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1077 on: April 22, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »

Great idea.  I think I will copy that idea.
That's exactly what I've been doing to get back in shape. Went with a  ten week 15K plan.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 29, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
Two humble brags

Running 26.2 tomorrow.  :crossfingers:

Asked a coworker if she was running the half and she said, "No, but hey I've seen you running at the gym and I just wanted to say you are so pret-"  :blush:

I said, "Wha??"  :confused:

She said, "I just mean, your form looks so great and carefree, like you're just having fun"

:love:

Oh, and just wait until ~ mile 22 and tell me how awesome my form looks.  :barf:

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 29, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »
Good luck, have fun!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: April 29, 2016, 09:14:52 AM »
good luck copperbowl

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 29, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
My Half M is Sunday. A couple random observations. I've never run this course before and the map makes it look a lot longer than 13 miles. I did a couple short runs mid-week, but now I'm just "resting" and I'm feeling antsy to get this crap done. I'm also nervous because I've been training faster this time around and I really want to finish under 100 minutes. I think it's gonna be close. Sunday needs to get here.

Good luck tomorrow, Copper.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:58:38 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 01, 2016, 07:05:42 PM »
Finished the half in 96 minutes. The last couple miles were a struggle and I finished slower than I started, but I didn't have to walk at all and I'm very pleased with the time. Thanks to all for advice!

Oh, and the wind. The rough ridin' wind. It changed directions during the race. Started off running into the wind and I thought "this is gonna be good running back." Nope.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Finished the half in 96 minutes. The last couple miles were a struggle and I finished slower than I started, but I didn't have to walk at all and I'm very pleased with the time. Thanks to all for advice!

Oh, and the wind. The rough ridin' wind. It changed directions during the race. Started off running into the wind and I thought "this is gonna be good running back." Nope.

You guys are freaking speed deamons. Half in under 100 minutes is amazing.
Where was your half? Was it the Prairie Fire in Wichita? That's what I ran on Sunday and your description of the wind is spot on! How can you run against the wind the entire race? I don't know, but that's sure what it felt like. I had started to train for this but then for several reasons have only ran once or twice in the last month. Was very nervous about this race and decided that whatever happened, happened. Ran my fastest half ever (I've only ran 3, but still)
I have one more half scheduled in the fall, but after that I think I'm done with half marathons. I much prefer 10k's I think.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 02, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Yeah Prairie Fire. Good to know you observed same thing with the wind. I felt pretty speedy the first couple of miles, but I sure didn't the last few. I was jogging at that point. I got passed by 5 or 6 people in the last mile, but didn't care because I knew I was gonna make my goal of under 100. I was worn out.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1085 on: May 03, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
Nice job! I want to crack 1:40 later this year. We'll see.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
My new goal for next spring (or this fall of marathon falls through) is 90 minutes. We shall see.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 14, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
Ran a 10k training run today in 44. I've got a race coming up in a few weeks and I'm shooting for 42. That would be a big deal for me. After that I start the fall marathon training in earnest!

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2016, 10:08:48 PM »
What's your marathon choice for the fall?

And yeah, sub 7 min mile 10K would be sweet. Good luck.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 15, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
You guys are badasses.  I am just now working up to a daily 4-5 miles when I am on the road for work.  It's easier for me to bang out longer runs when I am on the road, because my mind is distracted by new places/things to look at.  I am working in downtown D.C. for the foreseeable future and that is amazing sightseeing when running.  I am really fortunate.  However, when I am back home Thursday night through Sunday, it's tough to do more than 3.5 miles on my regular boring old route down Indian Creek trail in Leawood/OP.

I need to make occasions to run in new places here in greater KC.  Just get in the car, and go someplace and run.  Mix it up.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 15, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
You guys are badasses.  I am just now working up to a daily 4-5 miles when I am on the road for work.  It's easier for me to bang out longer runs when I am on the road, because my mind is distracted by new places/things to look at.  I am working in downtown D.C. for the foreseeable future and that is amazing sightseeing when running.  I am really fortunate.  However, when I am back home Thursday night through Sunday, it's tough to do more than 3.5 miles on my regular boring old route down Indian Creek trail in Leawood/OP.

I need to make occasions to run in new places here in greater KC.  Just get in the car, and go someplace and run.  Mix it up.

The Mall would be cool, especially early morning or evening. But put me in the woods without distractions for my long runs. Indian Creek Trail would be perfect for me. I do a lot of my runs on an abandoned railroad easement. This summer I'm headed to Colorado and I'm gonna try trail running above 10,000 feet!

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »
I get sick of my neighborhood, too. Did Central Park this week though, that was fun.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
When you guys do your half marathon training do you do a 12-week or a 16-week schedule?
I've done (tried) 16-weeks schedules each time and I seem to always get burned out towards the end, which results in not being fully prepared come race day.
Is there specific schedules you guys use?
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 23, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
I like the 12 week ones if I'm in decent enough shape to begin with. Hal Higdon plans have worked well. He reduces total miles, usually.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 24, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Depends - what are your goals for the race? What's your current weekly mileage? How long have you been at that level of volume?

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 04, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
4 mile trail race this morning. Ran with the gf so it took a good while, didn't push myself at all, and still finished 5th in my age bracket (30-39).

Nice little Saturday. May go to Home Depot later, not sure if we'll have time.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 04, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »
It was HOT this morning for my 10k. Flamed out about mile 5. I gotta invest in some of those skimpy racing singlets. 46 minutes. Not bad - but not real good, either.

Ran a 2-mile race later that morning with my son. Our first father-son race. He paced himself perfectly and finished the last 200 yards at a sprint. Like a boss. Very proud dad today.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »
I went inside to run on a treadmill today after being off for several months.  It's going to take some push to get back in the habit of daily running.  This is the longest I have ever gone without running regularly.  My body feels and looks it.  Sad, really, because I used to be in really great running shape.  I'll need some encouragement along the way.  HELP!   
I am still going to Las Vegas for the rock n roll 1/2 in November.  Not willing to give up that trip and run yet, regardless of how lazy I've become.  Serious training necessary to get a running base before the actual race training.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1099 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
Making slow progress with my recovery. Up to ten miles on Saturday. Can't hold a ten minute pace in heart rate zone 2 more than five miles but I'll get there.