Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141428 times)

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #975 on: February 20, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
Right, so it was more (safe) miles that led to your PR's.

To the extent that a Higdon plan "forced" you to run more within your limits, I guess you could argue cause and effect.

More mileage, of any quality, generally correlates to faster race speeds, over time.

In short, run lots. Mostly slow, sometimes fast.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:13 PM »
That's probably correct. Less intensity, less overall mileage helped the most.

Funny story about pace: me and a buddy were running the trolley trail a couple years back, focused on endurance and an easy pace. As we hit waldo, this old guy with white hair (at least late 60s, probably older) starts yelling at us.
"Pick it up fellas!"
We turned and looked at him, then each other.
"I mean, Jesus, pick up the pace!"
His voice was very distinct, and it seemed like I recognized him as an acquaintance. Read an interview with actor oscar Dern in Runner's World where he talked about distance running, and mentioned he runs in Kansas City when he stays with relatives there.
Turns out my friend and I were getting a hard time from an actor over twice our age who could run us into the ground.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 20, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
 :love:  oscar Dern!!!

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Great story. I don't run any long distance unless I'm training. Otherwise two or three or four miles is good for me. I did a quick two-mile run after 9 holes of golf today. Both events felt great in this weather.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 20, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
ha, didn't realize that happened for oscar. (B*R*U*C*E) on this blog.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 21, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »
But @Canary, how do you ever get to enjoy bonkers sleep if you don't run bonkers distances?

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 21, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »
But @Canary, how do you ever get to enjoy bonkers sleep if you don't run bonkers distances?
You have a great point there. Maybe that would help my sleep pattern. I'll give it a shot after I golf today. I'll make time for a longer run. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #982 on: February 21, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »
All right, so here's my latest running injury (maybe). Last night my training schedule told me to run 3 miles at "race pace." I ran it at about 7:40 pace. Felt fine. Stretched after, no problems, went to bed feeling great. This morning I woke up with a pain in my ass. Specifically, it's kinda low on my hip towards the back. When I press there, I can feel bone not far below the surface. The pain was bad enough that I was limping slightly, but then I went to the gym to work out over lunch and the pain all but disappeared. It seems to get worse when I've been sitting in my office chair for a while and then I get up to move around.

This isn't the hip flexor issue I had last year. That felt worse with exercise and was in a different spot (higher up and more on the side).

Maybe a nerve issue?
Grab a copy of Trigger Point Therapy Handbook on Amazon. Radiated pain is often the result of a tweak in a different location.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608824942/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456084514&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=trigger+point+therapy+workbook

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 21, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
10 miles today.  I sprained my ankle last week and thought that was going to set me back with prep for a half in April.  Feeling good about it again. :billdance:

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 26, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
Finally caught up on this thread --

I've run a few 5Ks in the past, and 2 10Ks.  Having never run more than 6.2 miles at once, I signed up for Jack Daniels Oak Barrel Half in April.  Supposedly you can buy one of the commemorative bottles and have it engraved with your time after the race, which is on the to-do list.  Following a slightly lengthened marathonrookie 10 week plan to get in shape, I've got a 12 mile run tomorrow.

What do you guys eat during a half - or is it even necessary?  I tried using Gatorade chews the past couple of long runs, and it went ok, but I'm not sure if it helped at all.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 26, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
the gummys are my favorite. You definitely want to start in on them at least by mile 5 or 6. I always hit a pretty tough wall between 8 and 10 miles, and the gummies and Gatorade help you push that out some and push through. Powerbar made them for a while, not sure if they still do. Lots of races hand out banana quarters, and those are good to balance the sugar from Gatorade and gummy's or gu.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #986 on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
I have one Gu at the midpoint for a half. I run a 1:45-1:50. Plenty of energy stores for that distance.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 26, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »
I am getting my running schedule in sync finally. Feels great after a sporadic effort this winter.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 26, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
I like the Honey Stinger waffles

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 29, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »

I've been wondering about those things.  Are they palatable at a clip of 1 per day for a week?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 29, 2016, 12:54:23 PM »
All right, so here's my latest running injury (maybe). Last night my training schedule told me to run 3 miles at "race pace." I ran it at about 7:40 pace. Felt fine. Stretched after, no problems, went to bed feeling great. This morning I woke up with a pain in my ass. Specifically, it's kinda low on my hip towards the back. When I press there, I can feel bone not far below the surface. The pain was bad enough that I was limping slightly, but then I went to the gym to work out over lunch and the pain all but disappeared. It seems to get worse when I've been sitting in my office chair for a while and then I get up to move around.

This isn't the hip flexor issue I had last year. That felt worse with exercise and was in a different spot (higher up and more on the side).

Maybe a nerve issue?

that is a hamstring/glut issue.  It tightens up and pulls on your back muscles.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 29, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
I have one Gu at the midpoint for a half. I run a 1:45-1:50. Plenty of energy stores for that distance.

Yup. Needing fuel during a half is kind of the definition of not being adequately trained.  So, if you're on one of those "just get me to the finish line" plans then yeah, you'll need to figure out some kind of fueling options.  The problem is that given the timing and distance, you may not even digest all the calories you're thinking you're digesting by the time the race is over.

IOW, I used to take gu's or similar but now I don't take anything.  And my HM time has decrease by >30 min over that timeframe. Because running more.

I'm trying to figure out a marathon fueling option.  I  :love: :love: :love: Tailwind, but don't know if the convenience and quality is worth the weight of a hydration pack or bottles.  :dunno: Might need to start doing some long runs with Gatorade.  :Yuck:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 29, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »

I've been wondering about those things.  Are they palatable at a clip of 1 per day for a week?

For me, yes, otherwise I would find something else.  Go buy a couple different flavors and decide.  Gingersnap is great.  Downside is that they can be a bit crumbly, so don't just jam them into your pack.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 29, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »

Yup. Needing fuel during a half is kind of the definition of not being adequately trained.  So, if you're on one of those "just get me to the finish line" plans then yeah, you'll need to figure out some kind of fueling options.  The problem is that given the timing and distance, you may not even digest all the calories you're thinking you're digesting by the time the race is over.

IOW, I used to take gu's or similar but now I don't take anything.  And my HM time has decrease by >30 min over that timeframe. Because running more.

I'm trying to figure out a marathon fueling option.  I  :love: :love: :love: Tailwind, but don't know if the convenience and quality is worth the weight of a hydration pack or bottles.  :dunno: Might need to start doing some long runs with Gatorade.  :Yuck:

False. Unless you are near Olympic qualifying level, your half time will be well in excess of one hour. One hour is the point at which every distance runner needs some kind of sugar-based fuel.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:27 PM »

False. Unless you are near Olympic qualifying level, your half time will be well in excess of one hour. One hour is the point at which every distance runner needs some kind of sugar-based fuel.

Meh. Run a lot. Train your body to burn fat.

Going N=1 here, but I just did 18 miles on a bowl of oatmeal and 150 calories during the run. Negative splits.

My HM PR came on zero fuel during the run.

Your brain might like some carbs hitting the inside of your mouth during a HM, but the rest of your body don't care.

Caffeine though.

And if you're  a callous idiot who throws your gel packets in middle of the road, shame on you.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 29, 2016, 11:07:05 PM »
that's impressive. I'd venture to say you are better than most of us. The great thing about running is figuring out what works for you.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #996 on: March 01, 2016, 02:52:37 AM »
Slow down and keep your body in fat burning zone for the bulk of your training. Your body (even skinny people) has a tremendous amount of fat stores. It takes a while to get there but certainly worth it if you want to run long without bonking.

I would suggest that copper bowl practice his marathon fueling plan on anything over two hours. Helps your stomach and mind adjust to the food intake. You're going to need it on race day.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »
i ran 5 miles on saturday!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #998 on: March 01, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
i ran 5 miles on saturday!
Go Tater!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 02, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
ok, stitches. i'm sure it's been discussed in this thread, but any pro tips? kinda popped up recently, never been this bad before.