Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141320 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #950 on: February 08, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
I have Suunto Ambit3.  It's great.

If I can get a deal on Garmin stuff any reason I should consider the Suunto?

Probably not, esp if just for running

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: February 08, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
I have Suunto Ambit3.  It's great.

If I can get a deal on Garmin stuff any reason I should consider the Suunto?

Probably not, esp if just for running

Really, I want:

GPS tracker for accurate distance traveled info
heart rate monitor (on board is better, but would live with band or something since I'd only use that part training)
altimeter
navigation capabilities
battery life good enough to not need a charge for a full week plus

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: February 08, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
Then you are probably looking at Garmin Fenix 3 vs Suunto Ambit 3 Peak or Vertical.  You can get the suunto peak quite a bit cheaper on Amazon right now, so may depend on how big your Garmin discount is.  You won't get a week on either one with the gps active.  Check dcrainmaker for specifics on each.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:15:08 PM by tdaver »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
I think the Garmin is ~50% off.  Whatever the employee deal is.  My eff these things are expensive.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
When you go to the models with a barometric altimeter, the price jumps up quite a bit.

That's a good deal on the Garmin.  Go with that.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
I'm registering for some races this summer, and I have the choice of competing by age group or weight group (the "Clydesdale" stuff). What should I do?

I'm right at 6' and 195lbs. As I continue to train, I should be down around 185 this spring. There's a 170-190lb weight group, 190-210, and 210+.

Alternatively, I could just run in the 35-39 age group.

My goal is about 1:45 for a half-M.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #956 on: February 13, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »
Clydesdale if that's your pace goal. 35-39 age group will be 1:30ish.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:40 PM »
Sick as a dog, but "ran" the second race of a 3 race series today. It was 18 degrees at race time.  :dubious:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 17, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
4 mi at a 9:35 pace last night, which is pretty good for me. haven't felt that good on a 3+ mile run in a long time.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Has anyone tried running with kid in stroller?  My eff going up hill can eat a whole bag.  Otherwise fun.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: February 18, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
Horrible.  Mine the handle bars are too low

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
Horrible.  Mine the handle bars are too low

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one of these really expensive strollers - a BOB - that for some reason does not have an adjustable handle. The handle was too low to run comfortably with it, so I made a higher handle out of a couple of bends of PVC pipe and strapped it to the existing handle using hose clamps.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 18, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
All right, so here's my latest running injury (maybe). Last night my training schedule told me to run 3 miles at "race pace." I ran it at about 7:40 pace. Felt fine. Stretched after, no problems, went to bed feeling great. This morning I woke up with a pain in my ass. Specifically, it's kinda low on my hip towards the back. When I press there, I can feel bone not far below the surface. The pain was bad enough that I was limping slightly, but then I went to the gym to work out over lunch and the pain all but disappeared. It seems to get worse when I've been sitting in my office chair for a while and then I get up to move around.

This isn't the hip flexor issue I had last year. That felt worse with exercise and was in a different spot (higher up and more on the side).

Maybe a nerve issue?

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 18, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Well, was it nerve pain? Or muscle pain? Or deep pelvic stress fracture pain?

Run. If it hurts, stop. See a doc.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 18, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »

I'm registering for some races this summer, and I have the choice of competing by age group or weight group (the "Clydesdale" stuff). What should I do?

I'm right at 6' and 195lbs. As I continue to train, I should be down around 185 this spring. There's a 170-190lb weight group, 190-210, and 210+.

"Clydesdale" is the stupidest, most first world problem kind of thing in the world.

Age groups are bad enough. Why would you be excited to race against a bunch of overweight dudes?

1:45 is a pretty sweet time. Just race and try to hit it. Forget about identifying the most narrow portion of the population against which you could "place".

Or do whatever you want. I'm pissy.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 19, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
Well, was it nerve pain? Or muscle pain? Or deep pelvic stress fracture pain?

Run. If it hurts, stop. See a doc.

No idea, but I skipped my run last night and it no longer hurts today. My wife says it was probably sciatica.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 19, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »
I go up two flights of stairs every morning and after lunch at my office and I take them two at a time so that's sufficient imo. also my house is a two story and I cannot count the number of times I'm going upstairs in a day. more than 4 times easy.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 19, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »

"Clydesdale" is the stupidest, most first world problem kind of thing in the world.

Age groups are bad enough. Why would you be excited to race against a bunch of overweight dudes?

1:45 is a pretty sweet time. Just race and try to hit it. Forget about identifying the most narrow portion of the population against which you could "place".

Or do whatever you want. I'm pissy.

Yeah I get it. I think I would probably place a lot higher based on weight, but I'm also kinda thinking that's not much of an accomplishment. I think the point of Clydesdale was for the huge guys, like 6'4". Having a 170-190lb group might be pushing it too far.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 19, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Should I stretch before, after, or both? Equally important?

I started running again and my knee (the outside of it) is bothering me.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 19, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Using the Hal Higdon plan to gear up for Rock the Parkway in April. Pretty pumped for 8 miles this weekend!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 19, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
Using the Hal Higdon plan to gear up for Rock the Parkway in April. Pretty pumped for 8 miles this weekend!

I'm using his "Novice 2" program. I'm surprised that there's only one long run per week. Most days of every week are in the 3-4 mile range.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 19, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »

I'm using his "Novice 2" program. I'm surprised that there's only one long run per week. Most days of every week are in the 3-4 mile range.

For novice through intermediate, he has a more minimal approach to intensity and total miles. The only time I've set PRs are after I've used a Higdon plan.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 19, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
Should I stretch before, after, or both? Equally important?

I started running again and my knee (the outside of it) is bothering me.

Only warmup I do is some of the myrtl routine, usually just the standing stuff.  Unless I just got out of bed, then I may do all of it.  I've had IT band trouble in the past (don't know if that's your issue but it is outside knee pain) and these help get hips loosened up. 
http://youtu.be/2GLrKr54yA0

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 20, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »

For novice through intermediate, he has a more minimal approach to intensity and total miles. The only time I've set PRs are after I've used a Higdon plan.

Higdon's <Advanced plans are designed to just get you across the finish line. If you've PR'd using one, it wasn't the plan that caused it.

Offline Missouriscribe

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 20, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »

Higdon's <Advanced plans are designed to just get you across the finish line. If you've PR'd using one, it wasn't the plan that caused it.

Interesting angle. Hadn't considered that. I had used custom built training plans that were very aggressive before, and I made a habit of overtraining and getting hurt or sick (sick particularly while training in winter for spring races). Higdon plans, novice and intermediate in my case, seemed to help me run less miles overall while increasing the quality of my miles.