Author Topic: The Distance Running Thread  (Read 141323 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #875 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »

My knees are really sore, and I typically don't get too sore.  I think I probably over did it.  I decided that I'd keep up with a couple people half my age.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

It was a race. There's no such thing as over doing it.

Way to kick ass. How many 12 year old kids passed you?

Or does that just happen to me?

Not too many young kids in the 10K, becAuse of them did 2 mile race instead.  Loads of college girls.  That was the problem for me, I had to show off. :blush:

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Distance Running Thread
« Reply #876 on: November 27, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
I do all these runs and never even consider that they're technically races :frown:
That's been my approach for several years now.  They are run events to me, not really races.  Still love going by people though.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 27, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
I am going to stick with 5K's I think.  I like the "event" part and the community of it all, but any more than 5K has diminishing returns for me right now (sore IT bands and hips).  My typical exercise running route is just over 5K, and I try to do that 5 times a week, and am able to avoid soreness that way.  If I have more time I will go for a ride instead of a run. 

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 27, 2015, 03:37:28 PM »
I am going to stick with 5K's I think.  I like the "event" part and the community of it all, but any more than 5K has diminishing returns for me right now (sore IT bands and hips).  My typical exercise running route is just over 5K, and I try to do that 5 times a week, and am able to avoid soreness that way.  If I have more time I will go for a ride instead of a run.

Sure, if you like a distance where you know you didn't give it your best if you're not actively puking, or considering it, at the end.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #879 on: November 27, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
Hiked up a mountain today with the family. Damn fun day. Legs felt like I'd ran a marathon when we were finished.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 27, 2015, 04:38:43 PM »

Sure, if you like a distance where you know you didn't give it your best if you're not actively puking, or considering it, at the end.
The last time I was actively puking (as opposed, I guess, from inactively puking) was in high school when a coach was giving it his best... I'm glad I still enjoy running without the necessity to puke to prove it was a good run. 

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #881 on: November 27, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »

The last time I was actively puking (as opposed, I guess, from inactively puking) was in high school when a coach was giving it his best... I'm glad I still enjoy running without the necessity to puke to prove it was a good run.
5K racing puts you on that edge of puking if you are truly racing/pushing yourself.

It's not for everyone. Do what you enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 27, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
Yeah. "5K pace" effectively means the pace at which you'll puke after 3.1 miles.

Just sayin

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:56 PM »
Let's see how well your knees/backs/hips/feet keep up in 20 years, fellas.  My guess is that something else will trouble before you puke.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 27, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
Let's see how well your knees/backs/hips/feet keep up in 20 years, fellas.  My guess is that something else will trouble before you puke.
I don't think you grasp the sheer size of his "5k pace."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: November 27, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »
I don't think you grasp the sheer size of his "5k pace."
I mean, it causes vomiting....

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 27, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »
Hiked up a mountain today with the family. Damn fun day. Legs felt like I'd ran a marathon when we were finished.

Take it to the vision quest thread :shakesfist:

But really, looks great.  How did the kids do?  Mine require a lot of snack breaks to keep up the motivation.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #887 on: November 27, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »

Take it to the vision quest thread :shakesfist:

But really, looks great.  How did the kids do?  Mine require a lot of snack breaks to keep up the motivation.
Troopers. 11 & 15 yo girls. Plenty of breaks along the way for photos and rest. They're pumped now for next summer's Colorado vacation after today's summit in Smoky Mountain National Forest.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 06, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
An hour and 8 minute marathon PR.

Says more about the prior record than the new one.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »
Damn Copper.  Way to go.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 06, 2015, 11:14:13 PM »
10.2 trail miles today, but wasn't exactly running the first couple

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 07, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »

I think the world record for a marathon is just over two hours. But if you did 26 miles in 68 minutes I'm wondering how no one else noticed your pace.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 07, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »

I think the world record for a marathon is just over two hours. But if you did 26 miles in 68 minutes I'm wondering how no one else noticed your pace.
:dubious:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 07, 2015, 09:26:55 AM »
Put in 12 miles last week.  Going for 10 miles/week, as long as it's reasonably nice outside.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 07, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »
With work this week I will not be able to run outside at all until Saturday.  I will need to put in a bunch of make up miles this weekend.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
Had some great outdoor runs last week due to ok temperatures. Enjoyed the plaza lights and Liberty Memorial. My 8.5 year old dog joined in, such a stud.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #896 on: December 14, 2015, 05:32:01 AM »
Do you guys run with a heart rate monitor? I do. Couldn't keep heart rate in training zones on Saturday and Sunday. Noticed some odd chest pains. Spent the night in heart and lung center. No heart attack or blockage in my chest but something is amiss. Stress test later this morning plus who knows what else.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 14, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »
I don't wear any kind of monitor.  I suppose at my age I should.  I run a fairly consistent pace every time I go out. I need to get a few runs in this week. I have slacked.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 14, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Do you guys run with a heart rate monitor? I do. Couldn't keep heart rate in training zones on Saturday and Sunday. Noticed some odd chest pains. Spent the night in heart and lung center. No heart attack or blockage in my chest but something is amiss. Stress test later this morning plus who knows what else.

this thread just got real :eek: :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TuOQkN7e0
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 14, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »

I hope everything comes out okay with the rest results.