Author Topic: I'm really really excited that it's Friday.... It's time for Chili!!!  (Read 15895 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: I'm really really excited that it's Friday.... It's time for Chili!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »
Here a recipe for a tremendous white chicken chili.  It's amazing, and pretty easy.

3 lbs chicken
4 cans chicken broth
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cans chopped/diced green chilies
1 yellow onion
3 jalapeno peppers (or to desired spiciness)
4 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt (or 3-4 fresh cloves finely chopped)
4 cans Great Northern white beans
4 c. Monterey Jack Cheese

Boil chicken broth in stock pot.  Add chicken and boil uncovered until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken and let cool.  Shred into small pieces.

Pour olive oil into skillet and sauté onion.  Add chilies, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, white pepper and cayenne pepper and sauté.

Pour 2 cans of beans with juice into pot.  Rinse other cans of beans with water and add.  Add Monterey jack cheese and continue to heat on low until ready to serve.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
Punitrator that was the best chili I've ever had!!! INCREDIBLE!!!   :billdance: :billdance:

did you for serious make it?!?

:blush:

Followed your inst to a T.  It was FANTASTIC!!!
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
every year here in the great plains, around the 2nd week of december, it gets really cold and my punk ass decides to make chili.
so i go buy the crap and make it.  tastes the same every time.  then i eat the crap until it's gone or i get sick of it after a couple/few days.  then i don't think about chili for another year.  it's my personal chili cycle that i just shared with you cats.  go cats.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
just thawed a venison roast to do corned venison, only to open the butcher paper and find that the butcher didn't debone it and about half of it was a bone.  :dubious:

anywho, I deboned it this morning.  chili time! :lick:  I don't really have a recipe, but it always includes a bottle of dark ale and some cocoa chowder.  I just start throwing crap in the pot until I think it's about right and then I taste periodically and adjust seasoning.  I'm going to use the pressure cooker for chili for the first time, so I'm kind of excited about that.  :D  go cats.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
every year here in the great plains, around the 2nd week of december, it gets really cold and my punk ass decides to make chili.
so i go buy the crap and make it.  tastes the same every time.  then i eat the crap until it's gone or i get sick of it after a couple/few days.  then i don't think about chili for another year.  it's my personal chili cycle that i just shared with you cats.  go cats.

what a great chili strategy.  thanks for sharing 'clams.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »
you're welcome - it's a pretty powerful story

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
just thawed a venison roast to do corned venison, only to open the butcher paper and find that the butcher didn't debone it and about half of it was a bone.  :dubious:

anywho, I deboned it this morning.  chili time! :lick:  I don't really have a recipe, but it always includes a bottle of dark ale and some cocoa chowder.  I just start throwing crap in the pot until I think it's about right and then I taste periodically and adjust seasoning.  I'm going to use the pressure cooker for chili for the first time, so I'm kind of excited about that.  :D  go cats.

I find pressure cookers to be scary.  Seems like a pretty dangerous operation just to cook some food. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »

I find pressure cookers to be scary.  Seems like a pretty dangerous operation just to cook some food.
the future is now, mr. bread.  fear not the pressure cookers of today. mine's got, like, 3 different safety mechanism to release steam if pressure gets too high.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »

the future is now, mr. bread.  fear not the pressure cookers of today. mine's got, like, 3 different safety mechanism to release steam if pressure gets too high.

I always make my venison chili (alright all chili) in the pressure cooker, its the only way to roll for cubed chilis IMO.   I've never heard of anyone having problems with safety, just use it as intended and it really does a great job of making foods that normally take all day, in a number of hours.

Also, throw in some dried, soaked beans with the chili if you're doing pressure cooker beans.  They'll be done the same time as the meat, and dried beans release enough starch into the chili to make it into a thick and delicious gravy.   :drool:

There are a lot of people who hate on beans in chili, but I think those people have only been served gross canned beans in their chilis.    Make your chili with dried beans and you'll never go back.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
i use dried beans exclusively and have meant to get a pressure cooker and get out of the stone age...

TO THE CHRISTMAS LIST THREAD!   :cheese:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »

Mine's pretty much the same except I never get tired of it and keep making and eating chili all winter long. Going to start with this stuff below.

This is what I made from cans of stuff and other stuff I had around the house.  It was good.

2 cans red kidney beans
1 can chili hot beans
1 can rotel (i like medium)
1 can stewed diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 jar of pickled jalapenos
1 pack of chili seasoning (i dont remember what kind)
Some brown sugar
Some Chili chowder
1 LB ground beef
3 oz Beef Chorizo (i dont know if that is the right amount it was just in the fridge so i used it)

Dump all of the crap in a crockpot except for the beef and chorizo
Brown beef and cook chorizo in same pan/wok/ whatever then put in crockpot with the rest of the crap and then wait while it gets hot. 
This stuff usually lasts a few days and I usually eat 2-3 bowls a day til it is gone.

Then next week I'm going to make some of this stuff! <-- I'm very excited!

Authentic bowl of Red

4 slices of thick cut bacon
3 lb. fatty beef cut into cubes
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1 onion
1 cup ground chili pods (pureed with some chicken stock)
1 T ground cumin
1 T kosher salt
8 c Water

Cook bacon, remove, mince
cook beef in bacon grease
add in rest of the crap
put bacon back in with rest of the crap
simmer 3-4 hours

nomnomnom

I might even top it with some Cilantro! <--- world's greatest garnish

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
Green chili LOVES pork (or for the health conscious, you could do chicken or turkey - just don't cook it as long!)

Buy a small to medium pork shoulder. Marinate it over night in tequila, lime, chopped garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. (you could cube it ahead of time if you want; if you want a little more flavor make sure there's a good amount of fat and you could throw in a few neck bones or rib scraps - i.e. 'riblets')

Get a half dozen to a dozen tomatillos (depending on size). If you can't find them, you can use green tomatoes, but you'll need to roast them first.

Buy a range of green chiles (season to taste: get more hot peppers [jalapenos, serranos, hueros, hatch/New Mexico, etc.) if you like the heat, more mild peppers [poblanos, Anaheim] if you don't). You will need poblanos no matter what - these are your base.

Cut open, remove seeds, stems and insides of all the peppers. Roast them up over an open fire. Make sure to blister all the skin. [you probably want to get yourself some good kitchen gloves to wear while cutting and roasting the peppers - especially the hot ones!]

Mix a pot of the leftover marinade, tomatillos (diced), and water and bring to a simmer. Throw in your roasted peppers and simmer them long enough that you can peel all the skins off.

Once you get the skins off the peppers (you can actually use a strainer or stirring spoon with holes to accomplish this over time), cube up your pork shoulder (or chicken/turkey) and throw it into the simmering pot (low heat). Throw in cumin, onion, garlic, oregano, epazote (go to the Mexican store or Mexican section of your grocery store - it'll likely be sold dehydrated), lime, and chopped cilantro to taste.

Stir often, don't cover the pot entirely for the first couple of hours. This will allow the stock to thicken a little bit. The more you stir, the more 'pulled' you pork will get and you can then fish out (or not) your neck bones, or other bones, etc. The chile is done once you're so hungry you can't wait anymore OR when the chiles have broken down enough that there are only slightly identifiable pieces swimming around in the pot.

Serve hot, with either tostada style corn tortillas w/sour cream and spicy green salsa OR with fresh warm corn tortillas. Also, some people like to eat bolillos (white bread rolls, also a slang word sometimes used for white folks - no offense) with this dish instead.

*Beans are nice to the side with some white rice or "sopita/Mexican" rice, but not in the chili.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
i use dried beans exclusively and have meant to get a pressure cooker and get out of the stone age...

TO THE CHRISTMAS LIST THREAD!   :cheese:
8 quart fagor duo. you're welcome.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
gracias, rams

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 09:40:15 PM »
Multiple pressure settings   :lick:

I've been meaning to get a new pressure cooker that can be used as a pressure canner for canning low acidity foods... how well does that basket work?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
Multiple pressure settings   :lick:

I've been meaning to get a new pressure cooker that can be used as a pressure canner for canning low acidity foods... how well does that basket work?
dunno.  too lazy to do any canning.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
Making some today. 

3 lb pork loin, cubed and browned. 
Yellow onion
2 cans pinto beans
1 can red beans
2 cans diced tomato
4 cloves garlic

1 T Paprika
1 t Cayenne
1 t Cumin
1/2 t Chipotle chowder
1 Chunk frozen Hatch chiles

Seems like is going to turn out very spicy. :drool:
:adios:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »
Making some today. 

3 lb pork loin, cubed and browned. 
Yellow onion
2 cans pinto beans
1 can red beans
2 cans diced tomato
4 cloves garlic

1 T Paprika
1 t Cayenne
1 t Cumin
1/2 t Chipotle chowder
1 Chunk frozen Hatch chiles

Seems like is going to turn out very spicy. :drool:

i've got a LOT of hatch chiles. good idea.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
Hormel, nothing better.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »
Hormel, nothing better.

for chili dogs there is nothing that comes close.  NOTHING

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 10:11:27 PM »

Hormel, nothing better.

I enjoy the orange fat puck

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »
made some pork chili today.  pairs well with getting pakfaced

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Here a recipe for a tremendous white chicken chili.  It's amazing, and pretty easy.

3 lbs chicken
4 cans chicken broth
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cans chopped/diced green chilies
1 yellow onion
3 jalapeno peppers (or to desired spiciness)
4 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt (or 3-4 fresh cloves finely chopped)
4 cans Great Northern white beans
4 c. Monterey Jack Cheese

Boil chicken broth in stock pot.  Add chicken and boil uncovered until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken and let cool.  Shred into small pieces.

Pour olive oil into skillet and sauté onion.  Add chilies, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, white pepper and cayenne pepper and sauté.

Pour 2 cans of beans with juice into pot.  Rinse other cans of beans with water and add.  Add Monterey jack cheese and continue to heat on low until ready to serve.

Hey Pete, made this today.  It was pretty great.  Almost like a soup, and very tasty! #1cat
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.