Author Topic: Marcus Foster  (Read 265728 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Foster
« Reply #425 on: January 03, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »

I completely agree the majority of responsibility for this mess with Foster is on oscar and his staff, but I can't absolve Marcus of some responsibility.

Responsibility for what? The entire team being pretty bad at playing basketball?

You think he's been at his best the last week?

Oh, no doubt. That's what you're referring to when you said he's responsible? Or the home losses to Texas Southern and Georgia?

Yes, his own play. The losses are definitely team losses, not on Marcus.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »
Pretty impressive to completely lose your all conference best player and send the team into a death spiral the likes of which the program has almost never seen all in the span of a calendar year.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »
Seems like foster got his ass kissed a bit too much this summer. Now he thinks he is too good to listen to the staff.  His body language says a lot. I'm not putting losses on him or anyone in particular. Just on fans opinion.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Seems like foster got his ass kissed a bit too much this summer. Now he thinks he is too good to listen to the staff.  His body language says a lot. I'm not putting losses on him or anyone in particular. Just on fans opinion.

I'm fine putting losses on oscar in particular.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »

He's a high level athlete, he's gotten his ass kissed his entire life. He knows the team isn't playing well, himself included, but now he is being scapegoated. You and oscar are seeing poor play and jumping to conclusion that playing poorly equates to him having a poor attitude. He very well may have had a bad attitude before the 2nd half benching against Georgia. If he did it is up to the staff to get him figured out. I think it was pretty foreseeable that treating one of the best players in the conference like some 8 minute a game player would backfire. Who the hell deals with a frustrated star player by benching him?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »

He's a high level athlete, he's gotten his ass kissed his entire life. He knows the team isn't playing well, himself included, but now he is being scapegoated. You and oscar are seeing poor play and jumping to conclusion that playing poorly equates to him having a poor attitude. He very well may have had a bad attitude before the 2nd half benching against Georgia. If he did it is up to the staff to get him figured out. I think it was pretty foreseeable that treating one of the best players in the conference like some 8 minute a game player would backfire. Who the hell deals with a frustrated star player by benching him?

Frank did, but I agree with your post.  A huge part of being a college coach is getting through to young men.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 03, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »

Frank did, but I agree with your post.  A huge part of being a college coach is getting through to young men.

yeah, notably Bill @NU and Pullen @MU. He definitely benched JO at critical times. I can't think of any other time he did it for a "star".

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
But, if Foster's going to sit for not playing hard, he should have been pulled within like a minute and ripped a new one after Foster gave up a corner 3 and then jogged on an OSU fast break that he had a chance to at least challenge. Again, if you really care about him playing harder.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 03, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Frank benched Angel his freshman year @OU or @OSU. Not a "star" player, but a very good and important player and obviously had the potential to be a star player.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
Frank benched Angel his freshman year @OU or @OSU. Not a "star" player, but a very good and important player and obviously had the potential to be a star player.

oh yeah. angel was a star.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
But, if Foster's going to sit for not playing hard, he should have been pulled within like a minute and ripped a new one after Foster gave up a corner 3 and then jogged on an OSU fast break that he had a chance to at least challenge. Again, if you really care about him playing harder.
i'm sure it's not that they want him to play harder, it's that weber personally dislikes foster.
come on, this is too clever by half.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 03, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Obviously both parties suck in this situation. oscar is a dumb eff goof, but Foster acting like a bitch while your team is up and you acting like drama is a bad look. Looks like you're in it for yourself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »

Not then he wasn't. The only one of the previous examples that is similar was Bill vs Nebraska, buteven then the circumstances were different. The team wasn't drowning then and Bill wasn't the best player. I am not saying it is never good to bench a player, but this type of circunstance; benching the best player when everyone stinks and the team is sinking, is stupid.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »

Not then he wasn't. The only one of the previous examples that is similar was Bill vs Nebraska, buteven then the circumstances were different. The team wasn't drowning then and Bill wasn't the best player. I am not saying it is never good to bench a player, but this type of circunstance; benching the best player when everyone stinks and the team is sinking, is stupid.

true

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 03, 2015, 03:06:54 PM »
Obviously both parties suck in this situation. oscar is a dumb eff goof, but Foster acting like a bitch while your team is up and you acting like drama is a bad look. Looks like you're in it for yourself.

Jesus Christ Wacky, of course he's selfish, all high achievers are. I don't think anyone is better at my job than me. If my board of directors decided that I have to sit and watch someone else do my job I'd be pissed too. I have always felt that people who insist that athletes be humble are low achieving losers, or are liars that lack self-awareness, or think athletes are chattel who should not be allowed to play by the rules set forth by our society.

catzacker

« Reply #441 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

Jesus Christ Wacky, of course he's selfish, all high achievers are. I don't think anyone is better at my job than me. If my board of directors decided that I have to sit and watch someone else do my job I'd be pissed too. I have always felt that people who insist that athletes be humble are low achieving losers, or are liars that lack self-awareness, or think athletes are chattel who should not be allowed to play by the rules set forth by our society.

It's kind of weird that we want coaches to be humble (in the sense that we want them to realize quickly what isn't working and change).  Maybe we could ask the same of athletes?  Foster could just not suck.  I mean, that doesn't take being humble.  It takes just not sucking. 

I'm not defending oscar for how he is handling Foster, and I was furious for Frank's stupid rough ridin' proving point games that really didn't do crap.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 03, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

It's kind of weird that we want coaches to be humble (in the sense that we want them to realize quickly what isn't working and change).  Maybe we could ask the same of athletes?  Foster could just not suck.  I mean, that doesn't take being humble.  It takes just not sucking. 

I'm not defending oscar for how he is handling Foster, and I was furious for Frank's stupid rough ridin' proving point games that really didn't do crap.
I really don't care what is done as long as it gets fixed. I hated Frank's point proving benchings, too, but he never really had a problem with effort on the court. Foster's been sorta benched for three straight halves and looks like he cares even less than he did before.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 03, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
This is a fun read.

#TheWesIsTheFuture

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 03, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
Marcus will have a fine junior and senior year at SMU.

catzacker

« Reply #445 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »

I really don't care what is done as long as it gets fixed. I hated Frank's point proving benchings, too, but he never really had a problem with effort on the court. Foster's been sorta benched for three straight halves and looks like he cares even less than he did before.

I noticed no difference in play from before and after Frank's benchings.  It's stupid.  And i'll state again, the primary problem with this team is not effort, it's talent.  Effort is a component, but they....just...suck. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 03, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »

I noticed no difference in play from before and after Frank's benchings.  It's stupid.  And i'll state again, the primary problem with this team is not effort, it's talent.  Effort is a component, but they....just...suck.

I agree with all of that

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 03, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »

Agree completely. I never got overly concerned with Jake early in his career because I never questioned his effort or whether he cared. I don't like consistently poor body language. Get pissed at your coach and his foolishness off the floor, when you are on it at least play hard the entire time for your teammates. JMHO.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 03, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

I don't remember what Bill was like when he was benched, although it isn't easy to guess, but I do remember Jake and Angel were not happy when it happened to them. Wanting a player to be cool with being benched is weird and counter-intuitive to what we want our athletes to be.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »

I don't think we're great, but I think effort matters some. I think Frank preached effort as a skill that had to be developed and I think it worked. But yeah, we have glaring weaknesses, especially at point guard.