Author Topic: Bullies, Bullying, and the Bullied  (Read 14105 times)

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bullies, Bullying, and the Bullied
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
If you ever find yourself in a group of people and you can't pick out the bully...Well guess what? You're it, buddy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
I know a 7 year old kid whose parents changed schools because of bullying and I think they were being huge crybabies.

Need details to figure out if you're a prick.

We interacted quite a bit with both the bully's family and the family being bullied. The "bully" was a little crap to be sure, but people have to deal with little shits their entire lives. And fwiw my wife agrees with my assessment.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
In high school football the first thing we did when we went out to the practice field was take a lap around the field.  During that lap, the seniors would always jog towards the end of the entire group and run up behind the freshman and knock them down.  Nobody ever got hurt...I always thought of it as more of a silly hazing type of thing. 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I was both a bullier and a bullyee at times in my childhood. Side fairly strongly with the pussyfication of America crowd in most cases
:adios:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:23 PM »
I willingly let all the football players cheat off my test if possible. Not sure if that counts.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
In high school football the first thing we did when we went out to the practice field was take a lap around the field.  During that lap, the seniors would always jog towards the end of the entire group and run up behind the freshman and knock them down.  Nobody ever got hurt...I always thought of it as more of a silly hazing type of thing.

At my school, the Thursday practice before the first game was sophomore wedgie day. The coaches came out late on purpose that day so that there would be time to give all of the sophomores wedgies until their underwear ripped. No one thought much of it.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

At my school, the Thursday practice before the first game was sophomore wedgie day. The coaches came out late on purpose that day so that there would be time to give all of the sophomores wedgies until their underwear ripped. No one thought much of it.
I can't imagine not beating someone's ass for trying to do this to me.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
The grade school that I went to was full of hard core bullying.  Factory worker, white greater-topeka school district. 

There are two kids that were in my grade that are almost certainly mumped for life.  I came to the school from a private school later, so I wasn't around to see how it started in the early years...only how it was happening in late grade school.

I can remember one afternoon where they took one of those tug of war ropes and tied it around the kid and drug him across the entire play ground, as the kids screamed in pain...getting the skin pealed off of him.  Just merciless in the way that the pounded on those kids every rough ridin' day.  I can only imagine the hell on earth it had to be to be those kids.  You wake up and and you know you are going to have another worst-day-of-your-life.

I was scared too.  I didn't have the courage at the time to really stand up and say that it was bullshit.  I really regret not trying to do something more to stop it.  I got bullied a bit later in grade school by the same crew when I dared to stand up to them in a small way, but I was lucky....junior high came and I just fell in with a better crowd and left them behind.  I got enough of a taste of it to know how hellish it could be if that was a regular occurrence.

That mentality was everywhere at my particular high school at the time.  As I got older I spent a lot of time with people from other high schools around town. A small part of the reason that I chose KSU was because so many of those mouth breathers were going to KU, though most of them didn't go to college, or went to places like Washburn or Emporia State.   I'm told it's better today and that the district has really changed.

Unless you have seen real bullying, or have been a part of it...you are incapable of understanding how crippling and terrible it is, to kids in particular.

Nothing worse in the world than a bully to kids, except maybe people who let bullying of kids happen.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »

Hazing is not bullying.  Bullying is targeted to an individual because of who they are as a person...not because they fit a class.  If you fit the "class," it still sucks, but it's not as bad as being isolated and destroyed alone.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »

I can't imagine not beating someone's ass for trying to do this to me.

You may have been a giant, but that probably wouldn't have gone well for you

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »
The grade school that I went to was full of hard core bullying.  Factory worker, white greater-topeka school district. 

There are two kids that were in my grade that are almost certainly mumped for life.  I came to the school from a private school later, so I wasn't around to see how it started in the early years...only how it was happening in late grade school.

I can remember one afternoon where they took one of those tug of war ropes and tied it around the kid and drug him across the entire play ground, as the kids screamed in pain...getting the skin pealed off of him.  Just merciless in the way that the pounded on those kids every rough ridin' day.  I can only imagine the hell on earth it had to be to be those kids.  You wake up and and you know you are going to have another worst-day-of-your-life.

I was scared too.  I didn't have the courage at the time to really stand up and say that it was bullshit.  I really regret not trying to do something more to stop it.  I got bullied a bit later in grade school by the same crew when I dared to stand up to them in a small way, but I was lucky....junior high came and I just fell in with a better crowd and left them behind.  I got enough of a taste of it to know how hellish it could be if that was a regular occurrence.

That mentality was everywhere at my particular high school at the time.  As I got older I spent a lot of time with people from other high schools around town. A small part of the reason that I chose KSU was because so many of those mouth breathers were going to KU, though most of them didn't go to college, or went to places like Washburn or Emporia State.   I'm told it's better today and that the district has really changed.

Unless you have seen real bullying, or have been a part of it...you are incapable of understanding how crippling and terrible it is, to kids in particular.

Nothing worse in the world than a bully to kids, except maybe people who let bullying of kids happen.
The teachers in those elementary situations you described were as bad as the bully for not monitoring something obvs. 

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
i was definitely a bully at one point in my life. it was very uncool of me and im not proud of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Michiganisstillgood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
I used to have this really fat Mexican kid "bully" me in 8th grade and parts of 9th grade.

He was 3yrs older and dating a girl from my class who apparently "liked me" but she was fat and losery and I had zero interest or any type of relationship with her, but he HATED me for it.

He would follow me to school (walking), telling me he was going to kick my ass and all that, a few times he tried to trip me or mess up my hair, I think he may have pushed me once or twice. This kid was gigantic, and I knew he could beat my ass so I just kind of laughed it off or whatever pussy nonsense I tried to pull. Anyway, so 9th grade rolls around and he's getting more and more aggressive. One day we're in the lunchroom and as I walk by he pushes me, I'm not sure what finally snapped but I grabbed his tray of freshly hot nachos (with the liquid cheese) and mashed it right in his face.

We both got separated and drug into the principals office, but the entire lunchroom was all "eff yeah" and laughing at him just like in the movies, it was incredible. Then we get in the office and he's whining because I ruined his shirt, and then I made fun of him because it was one of those stupid t-shirts that just had a random fish on it. I laughed at him and called him poor, but yeah, he never retaliated against me or gave me anymore crap. It was just like the movies.

Another instance

We used to always have neighborhood football games and most of the guys were 3/4yrs older than me and my 3 friends and they'd always destroy us. One kid in particular who after that summer went onto play WR at WMU was extra brutal. So anyway, we're playing and I catch a pass over the middle and instead of just tackling me he picks me up off the ground spins me and throws/drops me on my head.

This is like the 100th time he'd done some crap like this to one of us and I'm embarrassed and pissed, so I get up and drill him in the nose with the ball. His eyes watered up and he knelt over clutching his nose, and for that brief moment I felt like a badass. Then he got up and knocked me out with a devastating combo.  :lol:

That one did not turn out like the movies.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »

Hazing is not bullying.  Bullying is targeted to an individual because of who they are as a person...not because they fit a class.  If you fit the "class," it still sucks, but it's not as bad as being isolated and destroyed alone.

I agree with this to an extent.  There are plenty of examples out there of hazing being taken to far.  Generally speaking though, hazing is a right of practice where you make a conscious decision to allow yourself to be hazed because you believe the end result is worth it.  It's different then bullying because you have the choice to walk away and it stops.  Usually with no long term damage.  I mean I used to haze the crap out of catzacker and he turned out alright.   
@lopakman

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »

I agree with this to an extent.  There are plenty of examples out there of hazing being taken to far.  Generally speaking though, hazing is a right of practice where you make a conscious decision to allow yourself to be hazed because you believe the end result is worth it.  It's different then bullying because you have the choice to walk away and it stops.  Usually with no long term damage.  I mean I used to haze the crap out of catzacker and he turned out alright.

found another fanning sock. :Woohoo:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
I went to grade school in a very small community and everyone was nice to each other.  A long chain of events landed me smack dab in the middle of Haysville Junior High.  That place was a rough ridin' jungle.  I carved out a niche but everyday was a struggle.  Got bullied mostly about being fat (I have big bones I can't help it plus I was a late bloomer).  Thankfully my family moved back to my home town by high school and all was well again.  I made sure if I saw someone being bullied that I did something about it.

There was a kid in my home town that got shot a year after I graduated.  The victim and a group of his friends were bullying this kid and crap got out of control.  Very sad story.   :frown: 

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »

found another fanning sock. :Woohoo:

Why don't you go make a grilled cheese and salt sandwich.

@lopakman

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
 :lol:

:drool:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »
Most of the bullying I ever observed occurred in high school locker rooms. As an upperclassmen I was able to put a stop to some of it, but there's a lot of stuff I wish I could have prevented. High School and Junior High kids should not be left unsupervised.

The worst seemed to occur on wrestling trips were four to six kids would be locked in hotel rooms all night without supervision. I went to high school in the same district as Pete and Seven, but graduated much later than either of them. My view of the district is much closer to Pete's than Seven's.

I ended up in that district after I left the Washburn Rural district. I left due to repeated altercations with a major douchebag in grade school. I'm not sure if that situation really qualified as bullying or not, but the most popular kid in the school and his gang of jackasses and I didn't get along.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
internet bullying is the worst. people can just post whatever they want and sometimes they can remain anonymous.

my little brother posted a picture on facebook a few months ago and a kid called him a fat man of taste and distinction. a week later my brother beat the living piss out of the kid at school because the kid said "hey did you see my comment man of taste and distinction?" when he walked by in the hallway. my mom showed the comment to the principal and my brother got suspended for 3 days and the other kid 2 weeks.

appropriately handled? no. but i guarantee that kid will think twice before cyber bullying again.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
Internet bullying isn't any worse than regular bullying imo. Easier to do but also easier to avoid.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
internet bullying is the worst. people can just post whatever they want and sometimes they can remain anonymous.

my little brother posted a picture on facebook a few months ago and a kid called him a fat man of taste and distinction. a week later my brother beat the living piss out of the kid at school because the kid said "hey did you see my comment man of taste and distinction?" when he walked by in the hallway. my mom showed the comment to the principal and my brother got suspended for 3 days and the other kid 2 weeks.

appropriately handled? no. but i guarantee that kid will think twice before cyber bullying again.

you don't know what cyber bullying is.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
my freshman year after football practice a kid may or may not have gotten an erection in the shower. needless to say he was PI'd beyond belief, so much so that if i met someone from another school and i told them where i went, that person would be all "omg didn't that one kid get a boner in the shower there?". the kid transferred after freshman year. i wonder what he's up to now.  :frown:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
Internet bullying isn't any worse than regular bullying imo. Easier to do but also easier to avoid.

Is it?

Picture a 12 year old kid, who perhaps isn't even allowed to participate on internet sites frequented by others, who is knows that there is frequent disparaging materials posted about them and they can't do anything to prevent it.  Everyone's laughing at them, and rumor mongering.  They feel completely powerless, alone and worthless.  Every part of their life is impacted by it.  In their mind, there is no escape from it.

It happens all the time.