Author Topic: Bullies, Bullying, and the Bullied  (Read 14107 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: Bullies, Bullying, and the Bullied
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
I didn't witness any physical bullying, but there were some kids who faced verbal assaults every day, and you could tell that it really bothered them. Nobody stepped in because it wasn't like they were getting their ass kicked or something. I'm just glad that social media didn't exist when I was in school, because I'm not sure how those kids would have coped if they had to deal with that crap even when they weren't at school.

That is usually what I witnessed.  Sadly, the verbal bullying was mostly over physical characteristics.  Pre-teen/teen years are some of the most awkward so it can really hit hard.  Occasionally the bullying would be social status (band geek, book worm, nerd, etc.).  I never saw bullying over financial status but I'm sure it exists in some areas. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
I didn't witness any physical bullying, but there were some kids who faced verbal assaults every day, and you could tell that it really bothered them. Nobody stepped in because it wasn't like they were getting their ass kicked or something. I'm just glad that social media didn't exist when I was in school, because I'm not sure how those kids would have coped if they had to deal with that crap even when they weren't at school.

Honestly, social media worries me as a parent more than most other things when it comes to what my kids will have to deal with in the near future. 

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »

Honestly, social media worries me as a parent more than most other things when it comes to what my kids will have to deal with in the near future.

Me too.
@lopakman

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
i was definitely a bully at one point in my life. it was very uncool of me and im not proud of it.

i should clarify that i was an emotional bully not a physical one. but whats worse? idk. theyre both dick things to do.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »

Me too.

Yes and it is so sad. 
The social media aspect is very troubling because not only does what's said sticks and is around for all to see, but so often people wouldn't think to say that to someone's face.  I mean culture has gotten much more rude/crude/mean; but I think there is some portion of civility that prevents someone from saying awful things in the lunch room vs. "faceless" facebook. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
i was definitely a bully at one point in my life. it was very uncool of me and im not proud of it.

i should clarify that i was an emotional bully not a physical one. but whats worse? idk. theyre both dick things to do.

i think emotional ones are far worse

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
i never saw too much of it, and i was always annoyed by high school movies where bullying was like constant, particularly between jocks and nerds or whatever.

ya.

went to a semi-large school and nothing was ever happening, not with the guys at least.  the emotional terrorism that like every girl goes though is pretty astonishing tho.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
I'd be curious to see what poster Billy Zabka has to say about this.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »

i think emotional ones are far worse

i know  :frown: im a nice person now tho. middle school TTHOTUC was a rough ridin' prick.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

Me too.

Yes and it is so sad. 
The social media aspect is very troubling because not only does what's said sticks and is around for all to see, but so often people wouldn't think to say that to someone's face.  I mean culture has gotten much more rude/crude/mean; but I think there is some portion of civility that prevents someone from saying awful things in the lunch room vs. "faceless" facebook.
This is the thing that scares me most about being a parent. I'm not really sure how I'm going to handle the social media thing, let alone if my kid is being bullied or is a bully :sdeek:
I'm purple down

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »
True story, I witnessed Stevesie bully a girl till she cried last night at Station.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
I was "likes to scrap kid" in primary school and dished out some justice on a few recesses.  I guess there were some kids I picked on in junior high too. I would not call myself a bully tho, 'cause it was not targeted or consistent  But in high school I was very accepting and was everyone's friend so I redeemed myself.  It is a beautiful story of redemption, really.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
We can still PI, right?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
I know a 7 year old kid whose parents changed schools because of bullying and I think they were being huge crybabies.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
We can still PI, right?

Oh yes.  That is not bullying. That is quality control.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
I don't really know where structured initiation/hazing stops and bullying begins so it is hard to say how much I participated in or witnessed. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:15 PM »
I don't really know where structured initiation/hazing stops and bullying begins so it is hard to say how much I participated in or witnessed.

in sports we didn't even haze the freshmen or anything. it was just like "hey, how's it going? practice is only hard the first week and then is super pud so tough it out. this weekend we're all getting white girl wasted on keystone light out at the bridge so if you need a ride let me know and I'll pick you up."

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
I don't know when you cross the line between picking on someone and bullying, but I know I was picked on. I also know that I picked on other kids from time to time.  I always figured it was pretty much the same for everyone.  I used to side with the "pussification of America" crowd on this until I learned a little more about internet-based bullying. 

Aside from PIing and being PIed, which is pretty light hearted I've never experienced it on either side, but I tend to think that it is a lot more severe and can easily be far more emotionally-damaging to kids. 

It is hard to apply taking a stand when you are a kid and 20-30 people on the internet are constantly calling you fat, homo, etc. on the internet with no remorse.  The remorse factor is a big part of it.  I know if I picked on someone when I was younger and I started to see them become emotionally hurt, it would trigger sympathetic and empathetic feelings in me, which usually ended in an apology and being friendly later.  With the internet that doesn't occur.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »

in sports we didn't even haze the freshmen or anything. it was just like "hey, how's it going? practice is only hard the first week and then is super pud so tough it out. this weekend we're all getting white girl wasted on keystone light out at the bridge so if you need a ride let me know and I'll pick you up."

As a freshman I was taking a deuce after practice one time.  We had those open stalls with no doors only divider walls.  As I was sitting there a senior and one of the biggest  dudes on the team came up and threw a cup of warm water on me.  He told me it was piss and acted like he was pissing in it as he came around the corner from the shower. 

We're pretty decent buds now.  Sometimes I wonder if it was really piss or not.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »
Locker rooms were the place where the worst ones I heard happened.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Is shitting in an open shower soon to be used by others bullying? What about walking into the same shower the next week full of people with a raging hard on?   I think I and others may have been bullied. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
Is shitting in an open shower soon to be used by others bullying? What about walking into the same shower the next week full of people with a raging hard on?   I think I and others may have been bullied.

wut
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
Kinda wish I would've developed the ability to get along with a lot of people plus a sense of humor to dish back any insults BEFORE college. That would've been great.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »
I know a 7 year old kid whose parents changed schools because of bullying and I think they were being huge crybabies.

Need details to figure out if you're a prick.