Author Topic: Admission Rate (by %) of Land Grant Schools . . .  (Read 4493 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Admission Rate (by %) of Land Grant Schools . . .
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:49 PM »
does it really matter what the general student body admissions are as long as each specific college maintains their own admissions integrity? 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
does it really matter what the general student body admissions are as long as each specific college maintains their own admissions integrity?

nope, just like the school doesnt matter as long as your degree is well respected.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 12:25:21 PM »
i like that our doors are wide open.  i care zero percent about k-state's academic ranking, but i can understand why others might.

but if you're the type to care about k-state's college ranking, why did you decide to go to k-state in the first place?

Why wouldn't someone care about whether or not their alma mater was improving its academic status?  Improved academics means better professors, better students, better facilities, more research grants, etc.  Better quality students get better jobs and donate more money back into the university. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
i like that our doors are wide open.  i care zero percent about k-state's academic ranking, but i can understand why others might.

but if you're the type to care about k-state's college ranking, why did you decide to go to k-state in the first place?

Why wouldn't someone care about whether or not their alma mater was improving its academic status?  Improved academics means better professors, better students, better facilities, more research grants, etc.  Better quality students get better jobs and donate more money back into the university.
I view K-State's general mission as an opportunity for a lot of Kansas kids to get a quality higher education.  That mission is currently being served well.  Raising admission standards would theoretically improve the quality of education, but would turn away Kansas kids who would otherwise get a quality education at Kansas State.

I agree with BTK's assertion that individual colleges (engineering/accounting) should retain its own standards.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »

Don't muddy the issue of admission standards and investing in academic quality.

My only complaint with the lax admission standards, is that like it or not, it leads to tuition inflation which is, of itself a different kind of admission restriction.  Otherwise capable students who lack the means to afford an education at K-State are left out every year, the more it costs the larger this pool grows.   

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
A lot like fillies.. k-state is easy to get into and hard to get out of

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »

My only complaint with the lax admission standards, is that like it or not, it leads to tuition inflation which is, of itself a different kind of admission restriction.  Otherwise capable students who lack the means to afford an education at K-State are left out every year, the more it costs the larger this pool grows.

Do you have any data to back that up?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

Pretty much common sense....the more students that get in means less state funding per student....

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 02:26:55 PM »

Pretty much common sense....the more students that get in means less state funding per student....

You mean the state just funds all schools equally with no regard for enrollment? I honestly don't know.

I do believe that at least with the public schools, the one with the highest enrollment standards in the state also has the highest tuition. I also think this is probably the case nationwide.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

I think that well is running dry despite the number of idiots K-State is letting in.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
pretty torn on this...

on one hand - I remember having class with some pretty stupid people, which made me feel super smarter than everyone else.
on the other hand - I remember being in class with some pretty stupid people, which made me feel super stupid for being at the same school with them,

Its basically a toss up unless you're a stupid, but 'they' probably don't understand the argument.

FWIW - I think the 'good' schools are good schools because of the students, not the professors/staff.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
pretty torn on this...

on one hand - I remember having class with some pretty stupid people, which made me feel super smarter than everyone else.
on the other hand - I remember being in class with some pretty stupid people, which made me feel super stupid for being at the same school with them,

Its basically a toss up unless you're a stupid, but 'they' probably don't understand the argument.

FWIW - I think the 'good' schools are good schools because of the students, not the professors/staff.

this is so far from the truth i dont even know where to begin

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

Meh, it's probably not that far from the truth.  Probably true, in fact. 

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
pretty torn on this...

wow - kind of sad you don't think so...

Most schools teach the EXACT SAME CRAP. It's the students/cohorts you interact with that make the difference in both school and later in life. Sry, but its true.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
pretty torn on this...

Yeah, the proffs/staff make the degree what it is.  They maintain contacts with the working world for jobs, resources, funding, etc of their program and grads.  They are the integrity of any individual degree. 

Looking at this at the degree/individual colleges within the uni level is the right thought.  I mean, when I grad'ed from my degree, we were ranked like 3rd in the nation in that specific degree and no perspective employers, college of eng donors, or project/education volunteers gave a crap about how many kansas kids were hanging out in our general biz degree.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
:thumbs:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
pretty torn on this...

Yeah, the proffs/staff make the degree what it is.  They maintain contacts with the working world for jobs, resources, funding, etc of their program and grads.  They are the integrity of any individual degree. 

Looking at this at the degree/individual colleges within the uni level is the right thought.  I mean, when I grad'ed from my degree, we were ranked like 3rd in the nation in that specific degree and no perspective employers, college of eng donors, or project/education volunteers gave a crap about how many kansas kids were hanging out in our general biz degree.

yeah, when I graduated in that department every single grad had a job before graduation, most of us multiple offers.     That may have changed with the economy, but there is still no doubt our dept. and their connections were top notch and made a BIG difference over most others on campus/other schools.