Author Topic: KU football is NOT going through a rough patch. Cheer on our hawk brothers here!  (Read 3220889 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I'm just telling you what my read is, and I'm being generous enough to put it here in writing so that there's a record to potentially prove me wrong in the future. What a guy?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
"we have a plan in place but need the conference schedule to announce details"

- something the ku admin has never said

"uh, we don't really know where we're playing, hopefully we figure it out"

- something the ku admin has said
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I suppose it's possible that the ad is just pretending to be incompetent for the clicks but actually has this thing nailed down.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I suppose it's possible that the ad is just pretending to be incompetent for the clicks but actually has this thing nailed down.

I'm just telling you what my read is, and I'm being generous enough to put it here in writing so that there's a record to potentially prove me wrong in the future.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How much is phase 1 going to cost?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
About a half a bil. Which is couch-cushion money when you can just steal it from other Kansans.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In my minds eye, I was thinking about the renovations of historic Lambeau Field and how the Packers stayed in theme and I was quite excited (not gE'ing) to see what KU would come up with for historic KU Memorial Stadium.  Built on the backs of KU students and laborers - even the late John Wooden was one of those laborers.  I wanted to look at it and say something like, "See, this is what we should be doing to the East side of our stadium".  I was excited to see what the old original stadium looked like when the Nazi fortification additions on the East and West side were torn down and how architects would use that theme to expand the entry and concourse levels etc. etc. 

Nope . . . instead we're going to get some unoriginal TDECU - Snapdragon Stadium clone.  Neat places, but net new venues with zero - nada historical significance.  The design isn't even keeping with the majority of buildings on the KU campus. It is a monstrosity.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

I'm just telling you what my read is, and I'm being generous enough to put it here in writing so that there's a record to potentially prove me wrong in the future.

And I'm telling you it's possible!

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
About a half a bil. Which is couch-cushion money when you can just steal it from other Kansans.

Remind me again how that works, public bonds backed by the state?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
they wouldn't pay to play in Missouri, my god people that would be such an own.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Shush. Don't make me out you.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In my minds eye, I was thinking about the renovations of historic Lambeau Field and how the Packers stayed in theme and I was quite excited (not gE'ing) to see what KU would come up with for historic KU Memorial Stadium.  Built on the backs of KU students and laborers - even the late John Wooden was one of those laborers.  I wanted to look at it and say something like, "See, this is what we should be doing to the East side of our stadium".  I was excited to see what the old original stadium looked like when the Nazi fortification additions on the East and West side were torn down and how architects would use that theme to expand the entry and concourse levels etc. etc. 

Nope . . . instead we're going to get some unoriginal TDECU - Snapdragon Stadium clone.  Neat places, but net new venues with zero - nada historical significance.  The design isn't even keeping with the majority of buildings on the KU campus. It is a monstrosity.

I have a fairly vivid imagination, and I'm trying to imagine a world in which dax, at the end of the day, says, "Good job, KU. That's an architectural achievement to be proud of," and I just get crickets from my mind.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Might have changed, but the initial announcement said $300 million in KU fundraising, $35 million in ARPA funds (another example of ridiculous usage of those funds around the country) along with $50 million from the state commerce department's "University Challenge Grant" program. The latter is a match dealio and KU is supposed to raise at least $150 million to then get the $50 million.

Given the cost overages already, they'll need to amp up the fundraising or figure out something with bonds. Considering they already got the challenge grant funds (supposed to go towards economic development projects), it would seem that this is a candidate for STAR bonds too (if they haven't secured that possibility already). If they get STAR bonds, those will essentially take away local and state sales tax revenues to pay back the bonds and those revenues would have gone elsewhere (schools, other local needs, etc.). There's a growing amount of research that basically says STAR bonds are largely beneficial only to the recipient (and not the municipality/state) and that cities/states should stop using them.

Dax should weigh in here too - he's probably much more knowledgeable on this stuff.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
IDEA: Tour of Kansas.

They play at home game at Emporia State, another at Pittsburg, another at Butler CC etc.

:cheers:

Maybe do a barnstorming tour of Kansas.  Play one home game at each of several local colleges:  Pitt State, Emporia, Washburn, Ft Hays, Hutch?  Would really be a great way to get the message about the 'Hawks out to the people!

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
Guys, almost zero KU fans have ever set foot in an opposing school’s stadium. They will have no idea what they are missing.  Whatever they build, their fans will simply assume it must be the best in the league, if not the entire country.

Being the architect or general contractor for anything at KU is the easiest job in the world.

It's a little sad how true this is. Outside of a few with the will and means to travel to an away football game, they really don't comprehend how far behind they are.

I still don't believe they're going to get it completed. These cost overruns and unrealistic estimates are going to cut this whole thing down at the knees.

Two months later and my original position has only been solidified.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Might have changed, but the initial announcement said $300 million in KU fundraising, $35 million in ARPA funds (another example of ridiculous usage of those funds around the country) along with $50 million from the state commerce department's "University Challenge Grant" program. The latter is a match dealio and KU is supposed to raise at least $150 million to then get the $50 million.

Given the cost overages already, they'll need to amp up the fundraising or figure out something with bonds. Considering they already got the challenge grant funds (supposed to go towards economic development projects), it would seem that this is a candidate for STAR bonds too (if they haven't secured that possibility already). If they get STAR bonds, those will essentially take away local and state sales tax revenues to pay back the bonds and those revenues would have gone elsewhere (schools, other local needs, etc.). There's a growing amount of research that basically says STAR bonds are largely beneficial only to the recipient (and not the municipality/state) and that cities/states should stop using them.

Dax should weigh in here too - he's probably much more knowledgeable on this stuff.

Can the state repo the stade when they default on the star bonds?

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Can the state repo the stade when they default on the star bonds?

Prairiefire in OP just defaulted on their STAR Bonds a few weeks ago - was something like $50-60 million on outstanding debt. A state report done a couple of years ago estimated the amount of time for prairiefire to pay back its debt could go into the next century (it's supposed to be within 20 years).

Stuff keeps getting built there - no idea what's going to happen (presumably another taxpayer related bailout).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

Shush. Don't make me out you.

I’d sooner die than have the hawks play in misery

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
What if the hawks (Jayhawks) foot the bill for field turf at arrowhead? Even better, 2 rolls of field turf (one for the ku Jayhawks and one for the chiefs of Kansas City) so that way they don’t have to repaint it nor do the chiefs (kc) have to worry about their turf getting yucked up

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just let them play in Manhattan when we are on the road for 250k a game and KSU athletics keeps the parking and concessions.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I have a fairly vivid imagination, and I'm trying to imagine a world in which dax, at the end of the day, says, "Good job, KU. That's an architectural achievement to be proud of," and I just get crickets from my mind.
Not true and don’t lie and say you don’t read my posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It seems really odd to have a plan and not clue in the donors, but I guess the donors aren’t necessarily expected to do the heavy lifting on this one.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Like, clearly our piecemeal of the stadium has been the better strategy. The worst we ever had it was playing the spring game at SKC due to Vanier. Else the stadium has more or less be operational throughout the whole decade long process. Not sure what ku was really thinking about through this whole thing.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Like, clearly our piecemeal of the stadium has been the better strategy. The worst we ever had it was playing the spring game at SKC due to Vanier. Else the stadium has more or less be operational throughout the whole decade long process. Not sure what ku was really thinking about through this whole thing.
they’re piecemealing theirs too

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
they’re piecemealing theirs too

After realizing they can't do it all, and no plan for this upcoming season in place yet
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla